Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

That the NF's coach didn't bother to make any changes in a game they had to win until going behind very late (with some very naive defending) and then made all three changes suggests to me that this is just not a coach who likes to trust anyone other than his first 11.

Once Richie came on, NF just hoofed the ball up the field to their strikers who showed no ability to be able to win the ball in the air, so he wasn't able to contribute much, other than starting the play that led to the late free kick that NF got.

On 5/2/2022 at 12:41 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Sorry not buying that part. We are talking about England's second tier here not the top six in the Premiership who are genuinely out in the stratosphere in quality terms relative to Toronto FC. As stated previously I have no problem at all with the notion that you have better options in your squad but I seriously doubt you would have written this: 

if he was coming from League One in England rather than MLS. It comes across as a little patronising when it's about a CMNT player who can handle facing Mexico away at the Azteca.

I'm not sure you totally grasp English football.  League One is also incredibly competitive.  Players at that level are now succeeding in the Premier League.  Go look at Scott Twine this season at MK Dons.  That guy will be a Pram player soon.

The Championship is a crazy intense league.  

A prime example is Andreas Bouchalakis.  He came to us from Olympiacos, amazing technique, greater passer, couldn't handle the intensity here, he kept getting caught in possession and couldn't handle the game in the defensive third cos of the pace and physicality of it.  He's gone back to Olympiacos, is their captain and now starts for the Greek National side.  

You seem to have a bit of a complex about the Canadian National side from that comment.  It's nothing to do with that.  But for your to compare the Championship to playing away to the Mexico National side shows you maybe aren't getting the point i'm making.  

Away from this; Laryea should start tomorrow vs Hull City.  We will be resting a few players for the Play-Offs, so he should get a good chance.  If he plays on the right, he is in for a tough afternoon, however, as Hull use Keane Lewis-Potter on their left side and he is one of the best talents in the league, he will be a Premier League player next season for sure.  Hull will probably get around £15m for him.  

On 5/4/2022 at 6:02 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

See Steve Cooper's father was saved after cardiac arrest before the match by stadium paramedics. 

It was Steve Cook's father mate.

He is apparently stable now thankfully 

11 minutes ago, Red_Dog said:

I'm not sure you totally grasp English football...

As stated previously I grew up in the UK. Vividly remember watching Trevor Francis and John Robertson score the winning goals during your two European Cup final victories and still follow what's happening in the UK in football terms quite closely. Have also lived in Canada and watched plenty of MLS and CMNT games over the years. Think I'm probably in a better position to judge the relative strengths of what Richie Laryea has done previously compared to what he is moving into than you are.

1 hour ago, Red_Dog said:

I'm not sure you totally grasp English football.  League One is also incredibly competitive.  Players at that level are now succeeding in the Premier League.  Go look at Scott Twine this season at MK Dons.  That guy will be a Pram player soon.

A prime example is Andreas Bouchalakis.  He came to us from Olympiacos, amazing technique, greater passer, couldn't handle the intensity here, he kept getting caught in possession and couldn't handle the game in the defensive third cos of the pace and physicality of it.  He's gone back to Olympiacos, is their captain and now starts for the Greek National side.  

You seem to have a bit of a complex about the Canadian National side from that comment.  It's nothing to do with that.  But for your to compare the Championship to playing away to the Mexico National side shows you maybe aren't getting the point i'm making.  

Away from this; Laryea should start tomorrow vs Hull City.  We will be resting a few players for the Play-Offs, so he should get a good chance.  If he plays on the right, he is in for a tough afternoon, however, as Hull use Keane Lewis-Potter on their left side and he is one of the best talents in the league, he will be a Premier League player next season for sure.  Hull will probably get around £15m for him.  

I wouldn’t bother engaging with that user. Most people have them on ignore. 

2 hours ago, Red_Dog said:

I am pretty sure most people do know English 2nd tier. It is not the quality a lot of English football fans think it is. It is a lot of kick and run football exactly the type of soccer we want to move on from in North America.

In the third tier of world leagues it may be one of the better ones but when you get that far down the ladder the talent pool is so large that team quality will depend more on team chemistry and some luck in team recruitment. It is very comparable to MLS and Liga MX.

29 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I am pretty sure most people do know English 2nd tier. It is not the quality a lot of English football fans think it is. It is a lot of kick and run football exactly the type of soccer we want to move on from in North America.

In the third tier of world leagues it may be one of the better ones but when you get that far down the ladder the talent pool is so large that team quality will depend more on team chemistry and some luck in team recruitment. It is very comparable to MLS and Liga MX.

Yes.  There is a greater reliance on tactics.  The question or concern that some have had (like me) is not about the “Competitiveness” of the game at these levels,  its the overall talent and quality of play.   Nobody is saying that that there isnt any international talent at these levels but its very very small.  I dont doubt its very competitive and never have.

Is it conducive or transferrable to international level competitions?  Are players who are playing in it, well prepared for playing international competitions like WCQ or WC?  Is the skill level comparable?  Is the overall quality at level such that it gives its players a competitive advantage internationally?  Or is it a competive disadvantage?

Edited by Free kick

I can speak about The Championship as being a QPR fan I have watched an awful lot of matches in that league over the years, it is a very competitive league arguably the most competitive from top to bottom in the world, any team beats any team on the day! With 24 teams you of course are going to get many different styles of play which to me is part of the fun, there are numerous international players scattered throughout the league, we will see first hand when Canada lines up vs Morocco and QPR's Ilias Chair! The Championship doesn't have the DP's that MLS has but I would argue there are many players who would be a good choice for a DP, I think overall the lower level of player on a Championship side is above the low end on most MLS teams however!

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I watch football the world over, MLS have moved on a lot over the last decade, yet at the same time, players who were very average over here like Johnny Russell, have gone to the MLS and torn it up... 

I am not questioning the quality.  That's essentially the point I am making, but the style.  Championship football is not 'kick and rush'.  

Don't mistake the intensity for the lack of quality. 

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

As stated previously I grew up in the UK. Vividly remember watching Trevor Francis and John Robertson score the winning goals during your two European Cup final victories and still follow what's happening in the UK in football terms quite closely. Have also lived in Canada and watched plenty of MLS and CMNT games over the years. Think I'm probably in a better position to judge the relative strengths of what Richie Laryea has done previously compared to what he is moving into than you are.

Like I said to another poster, players who have been average at our level have come over to the MLS and thrived.  The different in intensity here is vast.  

I think you are taking personal affront to what I am saying, it's not about quality, there's plenty of quality and technically proficient players in the MLS, but it's a very different style and level of intensity here than in the MLS.  That is why Laryea hasn't walked into the side here.

39 minutes ago, Red_Dog said:

yet at the same time, players who were very average over here like Johnny Russell, have gone to the MLS and torn it up..

I have been following MLS closely for 15 years.   I have never heard of Johnny Russell

Edit.: Alright its SKC.    I had to look it up.  Hardly a household name.   

Edited by Free kick

10 minutes ago, Red_Dog said:

... I think you are taking personal affront to what I am saying, ...

No, I just disagreed with you about one aspect of what you have posted. As stated previously I have no issue whatsoever with the notion that you have better options than Laryea. Just don't buy this whole Championship is so much better than MLS so he wasn't ready angle. For every Johnny Russell (not exactly Zlatan Ibrahimovic in name recognition terms in MLS circles but has done well) there has been an Andy Welsh.

22 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I have been following MLS closely for 15 years.   I have never heard of Johnny Russell

Edit.: Alright its SKC.    I had to look it up.  Hardly a household name.   

Rusell has had big games against TFC and got a hat trick against VAN a few years ago. He is a real pest..I am surprised you dont remember him.   

1 hour ago, Red_Dog said:

I watch football the world over, MLS have moved on a lot over the last decade, yet at the same time, players who were very average over here like Johnny Russell, have gone to the MLS and torn it up... 

I am not questioning the quality.  That's essentially the point I am making, but the style.  Championship football is not 'kick and rush'.  

Don't mistake the intensity for the lack of quality. 

Everybody on this forum watches football the world over. Bojan did great at Barcelona and Roma and then bombed in MLS. Does that mean MLS is better than Serie A or La Liga, of course not.

I am not even arguing that MLS is better than Championship because that kind or argument is absurd. There are too many variables. The elite players are all on top European teams and the giant pool of players that are not there are what the rest of the leagues are made up of. There is not a significant difference in talent between the underpaid Argentinian league players and the overpaid English Championship players.

Everybody thinks their league is the most intense because they have so much intensity themselves when they are watching it. I am bored off my ass watching Championship football unless I have a horse in the race.

Edit: I am not bored of my ass, I'm OK with it.

Edited by Ruffian

27 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Everybody on this forum watches football the world over. Bojan did great at Barcelona and Roma and then bombed in MLS. Does that mean MLS is better than Serie A or La Liga, of course not.

I am not even arguing that MLS is better than Championship because that kind or argument is absurd. There are too many variables. The elite players are all on top European teams and the giant pool of players that are not there are what the rest of the leagues are made up of. There is not a significant difference in talent between the underpaid Argentinian league players and the overpaid English Championship players.

Everybody thinks their league is the most intense because they have so much intensity themselves when they are watching it. I am bored of my ass watching Championship football unless I have a horse in the race.

This is very true.   You have to have horse in the race to cheer for.  Moreso for Championship clubs or any other lower division.   In UCL or EPL, for instance, you can easily adopt a team (or even a player on a team) to like or dislike because of the amount of scrutiny and mass media attention that is paid to them (ie.: you get to know the players, teams and their history).  And you can also watch as neutral and appreciate the individual performnces. 

I have tried watching several Championship games as neutral and i too find it difficult to watch.   The names on the back of the jerseys are rarely known.   

Edited by Free kick