Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

47 minutes ago, Shway said:

Im surprised guys were/are doubting this considering the main factor being Forrest have been chasing promotion before he arrived, and not flirting with relegation. 

It was always going to be a slow integration. Likewise what we are seeing with Eustaqiuo, but it doesn't mean they aren't long term projects.

I have more hope now with the latest appearance. In the little time he played, he created a great opportunity against an EPL-calibre team. I will remain positive as long as he continues to get playing time and doing well when given the chance.

Sorry still not buying that, Shway. He's a full international on a World Cup qualifier who previously played at a comparable level in MLS. It doesn't take three months for a player of that sort of pedigree to be ready for a late sub sort of role in the English Championship. If they go up they'll have a budget for new signings that could easily see him sidelined again.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

36 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Sorry still not buying that, Shway. He's a full international on a World Cup qualifier who previously played at a comparable level in MLS. It doesn't take three months for a player of that sort of pedigree to be ready for a late sub sort of role in the English Championship. If they go up they'll have a budget for new signings that could easily see him sidelined again.

I see what you're saying here. There isn't much evidence to suggest Laryea won't be overlooked in the Premier League if he's being overlooked at the moment.

I like to think that EPL promotion has eluded Forest for so long and now they are so close, so there's a fear to change anything in the team until the promotion is clinched. As a Canada fan it pisses me off, because we know Richie is good enough, but as a Forest fan I would be more tolerant of it. Having a talented player deserving of minutes but repeatedly left on the bench is an annoyance at any level, but it's easier to swallow when you never, ever lose. 

My hope is that once they promote, there'll be no pressure to stay up compared to the pressure to get up. Fans will be hopeful, but realistic. In that environment Richie gets more looks, I think. 

I'm happy to see him play, but with Colback hurt, Cooper had no choice but to put him in if he wanted to continue with the same formation. He had two forwards, a keeper and a central defender on the bench. It's good that he had faith enough to put him in at such a critical time, but I find it a strange approach to give a guy his first real minutes in that sort of situation. There have been numerous games where they had a good lead and he subbed forwards instead. Whatever Cooper may say, it's impossible to really be game ready without playing in actual games. The early part of every season demonstrates that reality. 

playing in a stadium like Craven Cottage and having away fan support as in the video above, is a whole step up for guys like Laryea who have only ever played in North America. A crucial match for NF vs the best team in the Championship...with promotion and relegation the stakes are massive as is the pressure. Should serve Richie well going forward.

I think Richie may well get to start on Saturday if Colback is out.  The way in which Colback went off tells me he has a muscular injury, which is normally a couple of weeks.

It will be a great test for Richie at some a key and high pressured time of the season.

It is hard to explain the emotions in Nottingham right now, we have been a bad team for a long time, despite having a very proud history, so the notion of success in terms of returning to the Pram after 23 years...  it's not quite the same, but to us it's similar to the Maple Leafs winning the Cup.  

Anyone losing their mind at why Richie hasn't played much yet needs to understand football in this league.  I've said it before on here, but it is the most intense and crazy league in Europe.  Anyone can beat anyone on any day, with added time games often last 100mins in total and it is relentless.  Small mistakes can change the whole game, and it is not uncommon for side to give us 2 goal leads in the last 10/15 mins of games.  Swansea recently were winning 4-1 and 3-0 in two different games and drew both games.  Furthermore, we have the best RWB in the league, who will definitely leave in the summer.  Laryea was signed with this in mind.

Our coach, Steve Cooper, will not make big changes and give players minutes just for the sake of it, everything has a purpose.  That's why Richie has had to wait.  We signed a Paraguayaun international, Brian Ojeda in Jan also, he's played a few games (due to injuries) but doesn't make it in the squads yet.  It's a patient and deliberate approach at Forest now, it's why we've had the turnaround we have had and our best season in a long time.

It was encouraging to see Richie's burst forward and chance created and hopefully there's a lot of that to come, but I suspect the challenge for him will be what he does in the defensive third.  Djed Spence gets a lot of plaudits for his work going forwards, but is a superb 1-on-1 and recovery defender.  We commit a lot of men forwards, so there will be lots of occasions Laryea will be asked to work back and handle his man 1-on-1 else we can get opened up, I imagine that's a lot of what is being worked on behind the scenes right now.

57 minutes ago, Red_Dog said:

...Anyone losing their mind at why Richie hasn't played much yet needs to understand football in this league...

I grew up in the UK so think I have some concept of what the score is on that. Richie Laryea is an experienced Canadian international who was able to more than hold his own against Mexico at the Azteca. Have no problem accepting the possibility that Djed Spence is the better option than him and that he wasn't automatically going to walk straight into the Forest first team but the notion that is creeping into some posts on here that a Canadian player of his pedigree would need several months to be ready to cope with the level of play in the English Championship is something out of another era.

2 hours ago, Red_Dog said:

It is hard to explain the emotions in Nottingham right now, we have been a bad team for a long time, despite having a very proud history, so the notion of success in terms of returning to the Pram after 23 years...  it's not quite the same, but to us it's similar to the Maple Leafs winning the Cup.  

You shouldn't be so modest. Nottingham's lack of success is in no way similar to the Make Believes. The last time they won a Cup was in '67. Indications of how long ago that was The Beatles hadn't yet released their Sgt Pepper album and no one had yet called the The Stones the greatest rock and roll band.

Edited by Sal333

Canadian hockey trash talk is so annoying. The last time any Canadian team won a Stanley Cup was 1993 (nearly 30 years ago) and there are several teams who have never won it.

Since I was a kid I was convinced that the Leafs would be the next Canadian team to win it all, just to piss off the rest of the country (well, the part that doesn't support the Leafs). It's looking like we'll never actually find out.

29 minutes ago, RS said:

Canadian hockey trash talk is so annoying. The last time any Canadian team won a Stanley Cup was 1993 (nearly 30 years ago) and there are several teams who have never won it.

Since I was a kid I was convinced that the Leafs would be the next Canadian team to win it all, just to piss off the rest of the country (well, the part that doesn't support the Leafs). It's looking like we'll never actually find out.

Don't think he was trash talking, but agreed on your last statement. As long as we keep propping up the league with our spending, the Yanks will happily keep taking it and propping up whatever marginal franchise in a non-hockey market they need to...hard not to think conspiratorially after thirty years.

13 hours ago, RS said:

I once told me friends 15 years ago that I'd rather see Canada qualify for the WC than see the Leafs win the Stanley Cup.  And here we are....

to follow up on Red_dog's post..Seems Colback is questionable for Saturday with a Glute Injury. Forest dealing with a bunch of other injuries. I think Richie has a good chance to get his start Saturday..

Cooper actually says they are 'doubtful' for Saturday

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/nottingham-forest-injury-news-swansea-7010754

Edited by pod818

On 4/27/2022 at 9:07 AM, dyslexic nam said:

What a beauty chance he created - just needed the finish.   Making plays like that (and like we all know he is capable of) is why I still think this move to NF will ultimately have a happy ending.  He is just too good to keep off the field.  

Speed and skill and we have 3 apologies if I’m missing someone , Laryea, Davies and Buchanan if they are on their game one of the reasons we could surprise in the World Cup .