Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

Its rare but it does happen.

Eustaquio is currently on loan from a smaller club to a larger club for instance. 

Ok.  I’ll give you that one.  But he is loaned out to a bigger club because he excelled at the smaller club.   That’s  not possible if you are on the bench 100 percent of the time

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Maybe the solution is for Richie to go out on loan for next season. Somewhere that's a good level and somewhere that he's going to get minutes. It doesn't benefit either party to mutually terminate the contract. Forest get nothing for their modest transfer fee, while Laryea may have to step down quite a bit for a fresh start. 

Step down quite a bit , how far down ?

13 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

If MK Dons we’re to be promoted, how would we feel about Richie getting a loan there? They play a 3-4-3 usually, so he can play in his familiar RWB spot. Also the Theo link up 😉

Given how little Theo plays, I hope he isn't with MK next year nor would I want another Canadian ending up on the bench there. 

Edit: Just to add, maybe Laryea can move to another league or country before landing back in MLS. Besiktas was very interested in him at one point. Maybe a move there should be considered. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

16 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

For what it's worth, Richie doesn't even mention Nottingham Forest on his Twitter bio and Toronto is listed as his location. I wonder if he's starting to feel disengaged. 

There is an EPL player in there, and he can't show it because of playing time. It's so frustrating to follow this development. 

I noticed a 3 or 4 comments from Forest fans, not Canadians, that indicated they wanted to see Laryea get some minutes if they were up.  He was on the bench again.  Forest have now won 5 in a row.  The manager isn't making any changes game to game.  This is something you understand.  2 of their wingbacks are loan players.  Colback is not young. 

The bad news is Richie is getting zero minutes.  The good news is the team itself has put itself in a good position for position to the EPL.   I don't want to see Richie loaned anywhere.  I want people on this board to have some patience.  Richie will get his chance at some point. 

Edited by prairiecanuck

Agree to a large extent but it's still a bit strange not to give a guy you have just brought in on a low seven figure transfer fee with a long term contract 10 minutes at the end of a game where you are winning comfortably.

Not doing so suggests he's quite far down the pecking order right now in selection terms and that his face doesn't fit for some reason where the manager is concerned. It's far from impossible that Steve Cooper didn't play the pivotal role in deciding to sign Richie Laryea as they have a Greek guy as Head of Recruitment:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/george-syrianos/profil/trainer/97295

Unfortunately English clubs have U-23 teams nowadays rather than reserve teams now that many more subs can be listed for first team games so it's not so easy for older fringe players to still get 90 minutes in every week at a reasonable standard as it used to be.

21 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Agree to a large extent but it's still a bit strange not to give a guy you have just brought in on a low seven figure transfer fee with a long term contract 10 minutes at the end of a game where you are winning comfortably.

Not doing so suggests he's quite far down the pecking order right now in selection terms and that his face doesn't fit for some reason where the manager is concerned. It's far from impossible that Steve Cooper didn't play the pivotal role in deciding to sign Richie Laryea as they have a Greek guy as Head of Recruitment:

Unfortunately English clubs have U-23 teams nowadays rather than reserve teams now that many more subs can be listed for first team games so it's not so easy for older fringe players to still get 90 minutes in every week at a reasonable standard as it used to be.

You have to appreciate how Neanderthal a lot of these coaches are. They have a terrible fixture conglomeration and you regularly see teams needing points, or needing to defend a result, then going with two subs. Sheffield United does it too. Management of the squads is not done with great skill. Championship, it is not the most subtly coached division.

23 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's far from impossible that Steve Cooper didn't play the pivotal role in deciding to sign Richie Laryea as they have a Greek guy as Head of Recruitment:

Something like this would seem plausible to me.  As would something along the line of the fact that its personal.  But my first theory is still that its about arrogance.  The same arrogance that’s behind those headlines (and podcasts) from Fleet street following the WC draw when learning that they will be grouped with the US and Iran. 

What I dont buy is the suggestion that its because they are in promotion push.  If thats the case, then why do you acquire him?   why would you throw away 3Mill for that? This doesnt make sence because if you are in a promotion push and you go out and acquire someone, then you would want that player because he could improve your chnaces but thats not going to happen if he rides the pine.  

PS.:  regarding this Spence fellow.  A guy i knew nothing about until this thread.  I since found out  that he is also eligible for Jamaica.  Does the Jamaica MNt coach not rate him?  Because we didnt seem in the Ocho but we saw Kemar Lawrence instead. Thats another interesting twist that makes it hard to understand this story.

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Something like this would seem plausible to me.  As would something along the line of the fact that its personal.  But my first theory is still that its about arrogance.  The same arrogance that’s behind those headlines (and podcasts) from Fleet street following the WC draw when learning that they will be grouped with the US and Iran. 

What I dont buy is the suggestion that its because they are in promotion push.  If thats the case, then why do you acquire him?   why would you throw away 3Mill for that? This doesnt make sence because if you are in a promotion push and you go out and acquire someone, then you would want that player because he could improve your chnaces but thats not going to happen if he rides the pine.  

PS.:  regarding this Spence fellow.  A guy i knew nothing about until this thread.  I since found out  that he is also eligible for Jamaica.  Does the Jamaica MNt coach not rate him?  Because we didnt seem in the Ocho but we saw Kemar Lawrence instead. Thats another interesting twist that makes it hard to understand this story.

Spence had been waiting for a England youth call-up, and got one recently.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Spence is being heavily recruited by English heavyweights right now.  Manchester United, Arsenal & Tottenham are all linked to Spence right now.  Regardless of whether he earns promotion with Forest or not, it's fully expected he will be playing in the Premier League next season.  Middlesborough owns him so I would expect them to cash in on him this offseason.  If he does join one of the big Premier League clubs, he may be a rotational player for a season or two but regardless, I fully expect him to be waiting for England.  He's young and a bright prospect so I don't anticipate him to even consider Jamaica in the near future.

He just won League Championship Player of the Month for March as well.

1 hour ago, pod818 said:

My theory is Cooper has one of those sports superstitions where he refuses to make any changes from his past lineups when the team is on a roll (subs included) 

All or most coaches are like that.   You still have to make subs.   Plus Laryea can play several positions.   he can play the right side or the left side, so it cant be just Spence whose keeping him on the bench.

Edited by Free kick

7 hours ago, fookisan said:

Didn’t see anyone post this but here is an article about Laryea upcoming potential playing time written by Nottingham based writer

https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2022/04/10/steve-cooper-has-golden-chance-to-play-forest-man-richie-laryea/

I think we need to pool our resources and ship over "Free Richie" t-shirts to the Forrest supporters. 

Dream scenario for me: Forrest get promoted and Laryea is loaned to Birmingham City for 22/23.

Since his playing time seems to be blocked mostly by another loanee, have we completely ruled out Laryea getting time in the Premier League next year if Forrest are promoted and the depth chart clears a bit?