Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think that is a pretty big leap.  Not saying he would get a spot in the EPL but who knows what would happen over the course of a full pre-season for a player the club knows is going to the WC.   Maybe that means they sell him for a profit or maybe the see enough over a period of time to give him a chance.  It was always going to be hard to break into a side playing this well and as much as I want Richie to start playing immediately (and question the decision to exclude him almost entirely) I am not yet ready to write it off.  

I’d be pleased if I’m wrong, but the evidence indicates to me that there’s a low probability of this working out for Richie. If he could get a chance to impress, he might win himself more time, but it looks really unlikely that he’ll even get a chance.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

I’d be pleased if I’m wrong, but the evidence indicates to me that there’s a low probability of this working out for Richie. If he could get a chance to impress, he might win himself more time, but it looks really unlikely that he’ll even get a chance.

I disagree he is unlikely to ever get a chance. I’m just not sure it will come this season (I hope it does though!). I think pre-season and start of the next campaign will be the big opportunity he gets and hopefully he runs with it. *assuming they are still in the Championship or they go up and aren’t able to keep their on loan players. 

Edited by maccaliam
Added the explanation for the *

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Richie on left can be simultaneously exhilarating and frustrating.  He gets himself into great positions to play the ball in behind the backline but he doesn't have the left foot for it.  

He's also a poor finisher but will regularly try to score from outside the box. I wish he wouldn't keep launching the ball into the crowd.

I'm with @Cicero on this one. I find it very unlikely a guy that can't make the bench to all of a sudden start getting chances after they have promoted to the EPL. Teams strengthen when they move up, they don't weaken.

I think the only way it ends up working out for him at Forest is if there are a rash of injuries this season and he gets a chance out of necessity and plays great.

On 4/2/2022 at 12:32 PM, VinceA said:

He's also a poor finisher but will regularly try to score from outside the box. I wish he wouldn't keep launching the ball into the crowd.

Really good at getting the ball into the final third, not very good at using the ball in the final third

On 4/3/2022 at 9:16 PM, Kent said:

I'm with @Cicero on this one. I find it very unlikely a guy that can't make the bench to all of a sudden start getting chances after they have promoted to the EPL. Teams strengthen when they move up, they don't weaken.

I think the only way it ends up working out for him at Forest is if there are a rash of injuries this season and he gets a chance out of necessity and plays great.

Maybe I'm a hopeless optimist, but I disagree. First of all, he's made the bench in 2 of their last 3 matches. Certainly not enough to be considered a breakthrough but certainly a step in the right direction. But, the biggest thing is that Djed Spence, who has the RWB position locked up at the moment at Forest, is currently on loan and will be returning to Middlesbrough at the end of May. Considering the run the Forest has been on, it makes total sense that the Manager would want to stick with the hot hands and not rock the boat by making major changes to the squad in the stretch run.

With Spence on the way out, Richie will have every opportunity to claim that RWB starting spot next year, regardless of whether Forest get promoted to the EPL or not. According to Transfermarkt, he has the 4th highest transfer value on the entire team, and teams don't generally shell out $1m for players that they have zero plans of integrating into their squad.

I'm glad Richie made the move, and I think it'll pay off. He had nothing else to prove at the MLS level and it was now or never for him to make a move to Europe. Even if he can't break through with Forest, he can always come back to MLS and get a starting job on pretty much any team in the league. Would it be better if he came in hot off the transfer, was thrust into the Starting 11 and made a big splash? Obviously. But considering all of the factors at play, I think we all need to have a bit of patience before panicking.

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Richie is at the very least, a championship level player. Full stop.

the time will come. 

I agree, I just don't think it will be under Steve Cooper, or at NF if Cooper is there long term. If he was 19 or 20, I could understand him being held on the roster for the future, but at Richie's age, I just don't see it. It doesn't make any sense to me why a manager wouldn't want to see how someone performs in game situations if they plan to use them regularly in the near future. Hence, I don't think he's in Cooper's plans, for whatever reason.

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

He could easily have put Richie on just to get his feet wet late in the game with a comfortable lead. Instead the manager is being a dick as he makes two other subs instead.

This is my issue. I get the whole “don’t change a winning formula” but how many times has Forrest been up multiple goals and they don’t even throw Richie a bone? It’s starting to get ridiculous tbh

It's interesting how in the Corbeanu and Jebbision threads, there is talk of how coaches are reluctant to play loanees because there is no incentive to develop them.  Yet here, Spence (rightly so) is untouchable as a starter.

I think the reality is that it is about winning.  In Cooper's mind, he probably thinks he has just as good a sense of what his players can do from training as from a 5-10minute cameo to close out a match.  As long as Laryea is putting in the time and effort at training, he'll be fine for next season, provided NF don't win the playoff.  If they promote, he needs a new club.

Forest made 3 subs in garbage time today, up 2-0, and Richie still didn’t get on the field. For all the talk of him taking Spence’s place next year, I think it’s becoming increasingly clear he’s viewed as a depth piece and nothing more. 5 straight wins of 2 goals or more, and still 0 minutes. Cooper clearly doesn’t trust him to be on the field.

I normally fall on the side of being patient, but this situation feels different. The March window proved Richie is still fully fit and playing well, but he still can’t get a sniff. Time to look elsewhere. He has 1 window to fix this, or he risks being a bench warmer by the time the World Cup rolls around.

9 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Forest made 3 subs in garbage time today, up 2-0, and Richie still didn’t get on the field. For all the talk of him taking Spence’s place next year, I think it’s becoming increasingly clear he’s viewed as a depth piece and nothing more. 5 straight wins of 2 goals or more, and still 0 minutes. Cooper clearly doesn’t trust him to be on the field.

I normally fall on the side of being patient, but this situation feels different. The March window proved Richie is still fully fit and playing well, but he still can’t get a sniff. Time to look elsewhere. He has 1 window to fix this, or he risks being a bench warmer by the time the World Cup rolls around.

Maybe the solution is for Richie to go out on loan for next season. Somewhere that's a good level and somewhere that he's going to get minutes. It doesn't benefit either party to mutually terminate the contract. Forest get nothing for their modest transfer fee, while Laryea may have to step down quite a bit for a fresh start. 

Thus us what irks me about guys complaining about Fraser and his transfer.  Sure its not the greatest level, but he is getting minutes.  Hooorraya for Richie, but if he sits on the bench the entire year it is kind of a wasted season.  Other that the assumed better wages he is getting, which isnt anything to sneeze at.  

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned here already, but what makes Cooper’s selections even more strange is the decent possibility of Forest playing Middlesbrough in the playoffs. Forest are currently 3rd. Middlesbrough are 3 points back of 6th. Djed Spence is on loan from Middlesbrough and would be unable to play if the two teams meet. 

So you’re opening up the possibility of having to start a poorly integrated Laryea in high intensity games with ~£100M on the line. Talk about being set up to fail.

Edited by footballfreak
Small correction. Middlesbrough do not have a game in hand.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Maybe the solution is for Richie to go out on loan for next season. Somewhere that's a good level and somewhere that he's going to get minutes. It doesn't benefit either party to mutually terminate the contract. Forest get nothing for their modest transfer fee, while Laryea may have to step down quite a bit for a fresh start. 

Problem with that is that, when someone is loaned out,  when are they ever loaned out to a comparable level club or higher?   

Edited by Free kick

9 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Problem with that is that, when someone is loaned out,  when are they ever loaned out to a comparable level club or higher?   

Its rare but it does happen.

Eustaquio is currently on loan from a smaller club to a larger club for instance. 

Edited by narduch