Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

Just now, Floortom said:

Just seems a big risk to play start a guy fresh off of match where he ran his ass off for 90+ minutes when he hasn’t otherwise played in months. Adekugbe is back too so he can slot in on the left and we’re well covered on the right so would make more sense to me to rest him. We’ll see though. 

Yeah, maybe.  I just don't see it as a big factor.  I think he will be in good shape by Sunday afternoon, and I think Herdman names the 11 guys he thinks can best do the job.  That may be Adekugbe over Laryea given the way Sammy has played this campaign, but I don't think it will be due to any fitness concerns for Richie.  He is a goddamn beast. 

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He certainly did everything he could in CR to give his club manager faith that he can do the job for NF.  If he has another strong performance in a game that clinches a WC berth for Canada, it would have to draw some additional attention and surely lead to progress in his club situation. Right?!?

That’s what I was thinking too. If Laryea keeps performing for Canada, the NF manager will surely see that he is a competitor who performs in official matches, regardless of what he thinks of his performances in training. 

26 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He certainly did everything he could in CR to give his club manager faith that he can do the job for NF.  If he has another strong performance in a game that clinches a WC berth for Canada, it would have to draw some additional attention and surely lead to progress in his club situation. Right?!?

Forest are on a very strong run and are right in the playoff picture with games in hand. Unless something changes with injuries I honestly don’t see Richie getting much of a shot this year. It’s clear the Manager has the lineup sorted. I don’t see him changing that because Richie does well against Costa Rica and Jamaica. Hope I’m wrong but that’s how I see it 

30 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Forest are on a very strong run and are right in the playoff picture with games in hand. Unless something changes with injuries I honestly don’t see Richie getting much of a shot this year. It’s clear the Manager has the lineup sorted. I don’t see him changing that because Richie does well against Costa Rica and Jamaica. Hope I’m wrong but that’s how I see it 

I agree he likely wouldn’t put Laryea in as a starter, but I can’t see why he wouldn’t want to give him some time at all. If I’m not mistaken, they have already had injuries to the wingbacks and played a midfielder there. Those are the situations I would expect the manager to consider for Richie. Or a later match substitution if they are up by a couple of goals. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Is it just me or is Laryea better at LB for Canada than RB? He was okay today, but dominant against CR on the other side, and he really stood out at LB against Mexico while his January window was just okay.

I agree, but the "problem" is that Adekugbe has been fantastic in every game.  He starts at LB for me.

With every game, this move seems more and more like it was a mistake. Not even on the bench today, again. I didn’t hear that he was injured, did he pick something up against Jamaica?

Seems clear that Cooper didn’t want him and has no intention of integrating him into the team. I didn’t expect he would immediately be a starter, but it’s clear he’ll never have a roll as long as Cooper is in charge.

Hope I’ll have to eat my words, but that seems less and less likely.

Richie Laryea has 2 countries in the World Cup...Ghana because he's Ghanaian naturally because of his parents and Canada because he plays for Canada and he even said himself he was watching the Draw with his family and that usually he would watch past Draws because of Ghana but to see Canada in there, and seeing the Draw we got, he was happy

16 minutes ago, narduch said:

Probably just resting him because he just came back from Panama.

There will probably be a handful of our Euro bases players not featuring this weekend. 

Buchanan wasn't in Brugge's line up yesterday 

Buchanan played the entirety of all three games, and had one day less to rest. Richie played 20 minutes on Wednesday. We can continue to hope and make up ‘reasons’ but at some point you have to accept things as they are.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

NF was up 3-0 36 minutes into the game today. I think the biggest problem continues to be that the players who were already at the club continue to excel, so why make a change?

I think for many, myself included, the argument isn’t that the manager should change a starting 11 or even the first subs off the bench to close out or chase a close game, but rather when a game is 3-0 from the 36th - 82 minute and then goes 4-0, there is little downside to letting a new player have a run out. 

*I personally believe the international travel and time zone changes do make a difference for this one game but my point stands for virtually any other game NF play this season. 

On 3/28/2022 at 8:50 AM, Ivan said:

I agree, but the "problem" is that Adekugbe has been fantastic in every game.  He starts at LB for me.

Adekugbe has solidifed his play on the left and frankly, I prefer to have wingbacks on the side where they hit outswinging crosses on the their natural/stronger foot.

24 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

I think for many, myself included, the argument isn’t that the manager should change a starting 11 or even the first subs off the bench to close out or chase a close game, but rather when a game is 3-0 from the 36th - 82 minute and then goes 4-0, there is little downside to letting a new player have a run out. 

*I personally believe the international travel and time zone changes do make a difference for this one game but my point stands for virtually any other game NF play this season. 

He is clearly viewed as a third or fourth option at his position. Which means there is no way he will play if they are promoted, and I would guess he won’t remain with the team.

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He is clearly viewed as a third or fourth option at his position. Which means there is no way he will play if they are promoted, and I would guess he won’t remain with the team.

I think that is a pretty big leap.  Not saying he would get a spot in the EPL but who knows what would happen over the course of a full pre-season for a player the club knows is going to the WC.   Maybe that means they sell him for a profit or maybe the see enough over a period of time to give him a chance.  It was always going to be hard to break into a side playing this well and as much as I want Richie to start playing immediately (and question the decision to exclude him almost entirely) I am not yet ready to write it off.  

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Adekugbe has solidifed his play on the left and frankly, I prefer to have wingbacks on the side where they hit outswinging crosses on the their natural/stronger foot.

Richie on the left can be simultaneously exhilarating and frustrating.  He gets himself into great positions to play the ball in behind the backline but he doesn't have the left foot for it.  

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan