Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah.  We will get through this window, qualify for Qatar, Laryea will secure a role at NF and this time next year we will all have forgotten the tough start and view the move positively. 

I was definitely thinking along these lines as well for a while. Their other wingbacks are on loan so I figured he’d have every chance to get the starting spot next season. The fact that he’s not even making the bench does have me a bit worried that it won’t work out that way though.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

This example, along with Jebbison and Eustaquio is exactly the reason I don't get excited when people start talking about David to Real Madrid and Larin to PL.  There are just soo many examples where getting to the big league and team just isn't worth it.  It could really hurt CANMNT.  CANMNT was really strong this year because ALL our pieces were playing big parts on their teams, no one was riding the bench.  If 5/6 of our best end up being smaller parts of good teams we'd see an immediate negative impact on CANMNT.  Look no further than USMNT for an example.

I've been saying this exact thing all along

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Not even making the bench ? Loan back to TFC then and bring him back next season . 

For him, wouldn't it make more sense to get loaned to bottom/relegation level team in the championship or even a high League One team like MK Dons? Than moving to TFC since he wants to play in England

4 hours ago, blueseeka said:

For him, wouldn't it make more sense to get loaned to bottom/relegation level team in the championship or even a high League One team like MK Dons? Than moving to TFC since he wants to play in England

I thought you couldn't be loaned outside of the transfer window.  Isn't he stuck with Nottingham forest at least until summer.

1 minute ago, prairiecanuck said:

I thought you couldn't be loaned outside of the transfer window.  Isn't he stuck with Nottingham forest at least until summer.

MLS transfer window is open until May 4.

18 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Not even making the bench ? Loan back to TFC then and bring him back next season . 

He won't come back to TFC on loan. MLS has such stupid player signing rules. Since Richie was transferred out, TFC would have to trade for the top spot in the Allocation Order (think they're like 12th in line), which would cost them a lot. It's not worth it for a half/full season loan. They'll just sign someone who has never played in the league which they can do for free. 

19 hours ago, SoccMan said:

From a TFC management rather than a CMNT standpoint he's probably a useful cautionary tale at this point that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence and he may not be viewed as the possible best use of the money that would be required to accomplish a return. Suspect his transfer fee may be earmarked to something like buying down Salcedo out of DP territory once Insigne arrives.

Suspect they would also view a Laryea loan as potentially stifling the growth of Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty who they view as being the next big transfer fee. Having to constantly compete for a first team place is the norm in UK terms for most players so he needs to lose any sense of entitlement he may have, knuckle down and get on with it. By next season, if his face still doesn't fit in terms of even being on the bench they'll probably loan him out to a League One side or something like that and he'll get the opportunity to show what he can do.

It seems an unrealistic expectation that a guy that was signed from a potentially lesser league for a low-ish fee and likely modest wages by a team on a roll would find a way into the squad immediately. I think we need to be patient. Although it is nice to see us have high expectations these days.

Edited by The Real Marc

As much as I hate to admit it, Nottingham Forest might not have the CMNTs best interests in mind while chasing promotion.  Accept the fact that he is unlikely to feature much (if at all) unless they fall out of contention or there are injuries.  He's still in a good environment, is a competitive guy and will be just as ready for CMNT.

I can think of another occasional CMNT player who just recently took a loan up to a 2nd tier team fighting to promote to a top 4 top flight, in the January window, and he barely got minutes. Barely, because he got more than what Laryea has seen. 

This board pretty well ripped him apart for that not working out and mostly blamed his "bad attitude". Interesting to see the contrast here (who are we speaking about?). 

42 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I can think of another occasional CMNT player who just recently took a loan up to a 2nd tier team fighting to promote to a top 4 top flight, in the January window, and he barely got minutes. Barely, because he got more than what Laryea has seen. 

This board pretty well ripped him apart for that not working out and mostly blamed his "bad attitude". Interesting to see the contrast here (who are we speaking about?). 

People have attacked Eustaquio's attitude? I missed that.

Two players who I think have been unfairly branded on this site based on innuendo are Tabla and Arfield. 

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

Two players who I think have been unfairly branded on this site based on innuendo are Tabla and Arfield. 

He is talking about Tabla. But Tabla weren’t innuendos, it was his last four coaches (Garde, Cabrera, Henry and Nancy) who questionned his work ethic.

11 minutes ago, HochelagaFC said:

He is talking about Tabla. But Tabla weren’t innuendos, it was his last four coaches (Garde, Cabrera, Henry and Nancy) who questionned his work ethic.

I was about to reply to both posts with this very post, then I saw yours and figure my post would be excessive.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I'm referring to Tabla, who took winter a loan from Barça B to Albacete, who were in a promotion playoff spot in February, and played a few games, a few minutes. 

Only in hindsight was that a bad move. And it was clearly an error on his part to give up and accept being sold back to Impact, at least how I see it. But as I have often said, I think he has more personal, even psychological needs, and that is something that has to be taken seriously as well. 

The general consensus here was that Tabla must train badly and have a bad attitude. As I always argued, he never had that problem at Barça, he played regularly, started, scored even. There were no complaints.

So I think it is odd that so many are defending Laryea and blaming Forest, when in other, similar cases, the reasoning went in another direction.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm referring to Tabla, who took winter a loan from Barça B to Albacete, who were in a promotion playoff spot in February, and played a few games, a few minutes. 

Only in hindsight was that a bad move. And it was clearly an error on his part to give up and accept being sold back to Impact, at least how I see it. But as I have often said, I think he has more personal, even psychological needs, and that is something that has to be taken seriously as well. 

The general consensus here was that Tabla must train badly and have a bad attitude. As I always argued, he never had that problem at Barça, he played regularly, started, scored even. There were no complaints.

So I think it is odd that so many are defending Laryea and blaming Forest, when in other, similar cases, the reasoning went in another direction.

If anything Tabla should teach us that not every player's progress is linear.

We see that now too with Jebbison and Corbeanu not getting many minutes.

David and Davies have spoiled us in this regard, in my opinion.

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Your reasoning is all over the map here. You say Tabla’s problems were personal/psychological, so why should we have blamed Barca/Albacete? 

34 minutes ago, costarg said:

Agreed, however his coaches in Spain didn't seem to have an issue with him.  

I know, it’s just that UT said that the board « ripped him apart » for not playing while at Albacete but the critics where mostly once he came back to MTL and being called out by multiple coaches. So I don’t think it’s fair to compare Laryea’s treatment to Tabla.

I don’t see the similarities to be honest.   I am a Tabla fan and have been cheering for him the whole time. But it is naive to ignore the multiple instances of coaches outlining problems or feeling need to take significant action in relation to his behaviour or attitude.  To me there is no comparison to Richie who is being froze out of the team after a transfer despite no publicized issues of attitude or problems.  Asking questions of the club in one instance but not the other seems pretty reasonable to me. 

UT ultimately doesn't like Laryea. 4 yellows in 25 games as a defender isn't a sign that he doesn't control his temper or he doesn't know when not to cross the line.
I'll just assume that he doesn't like Canada's tough guy mentality either, because he's not the only one who does it.

To me I grew up in the era of if players had this "attitude" on the field, it was considered they were uncoachable, nuisance, bad dressing rooms guys or whatever and would be overlooked....and not simply seen as their will to win or fierce competitor. 

I love that we see a lot guys have this grit, and not the pushover-passive-happytobeonthefield Canadian mentality  we've seen in the past. It's a direct result of where we are today, as teams no they can't fuck with us like they could in the past doing all the dark arts of football. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But as I have often said, I think he has more personal, even psychological needs, and that is something that has to be taken seriously as well. 

These two things are likely related.

Also, I have never heard complaints of the way Tabla trained.