Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

2 hours ago, Kent said:

1st bold item above. Laryea assisted on Hutchinson's goal against El Salvador in Toronto, and he assisted on Buchanan's goal against Panama in Toronto. It might not be what you had in mind but he also scored a goal early in the qualifying cycle against Bermuda.

2nd bold item above. Yes, you can make the argument that he didn't pick up his man against Mexico. You could also argue that Eustaquio was also jogging back, allowing a player to come up the middle and thus occupy Miller who otherwise would have been defending the guy who ended up scoring. There was another open player on the wing that Laryea would have been marking if Eustaquio and Miller took the 2 more central players. The team got overloaded and were punished. But yes, Laryea probably should have identified the threat sooner and gotten back quicker, sacrificing his own man on the wing to cover the more dangerously positioned player.

3rd bold item above. I've said this before, but this is not a liability like you are saying. You are worried he will cross a line that he is fully aware of and has never crossed. He has 0 red cards for Canada, 0 red cards in MLS. That's 7590 minutes as a pro with 0 red cards. For what it's worth, he has 20 yellow cards in his career. That's a rate of a yellow card every 4.2 games. I have no idea if that is high or low.

Edit: P.S. I meant to mention Laryea also had an assist in the Gold Cup against Haiti, and should have won a penalty against the USA, but it somehow wasn't given.

I'm 100% in favour of Laryea, but not for any of the arguments you just made. 

I really don't mean to slag him, just wanted to try to burst a few bubbles where somehow he just has to be playing already at Forest.

I like him because, as I said, he's slash and burn, he adds intangibles, he plays between lines and can be someone who breaks open a match in certain critical moments. He's gutsy, and has character. He's also fun to watch, fun, and funny, probably more than anyone on the team he makes me laugh. All that, I imagine, does not show very well on a training pitch, so it may be hard for a manager who really does not know him, may not care to know him, and may have biases, to play him. 

That and my feeling he is not a pure anything, can be a loose screw, and sometimes feels unstable or inconsistent.

One of the stories that has not been mentioned is that after Edmonton, I think it was Osorio who came out in an interview saying he felt he might need to get a transfer to stay in Herdman's sights, to show his ambition and prove he deserved more playing time. And then Laryea, I believe, made similar remarks (can't recall the source). Now I wonder if he was being influenced by Osorio, letting himself get drawn in there, which is odder since, as has been mentioned, he was playing for Herdman and did not seem to have to take a step up to ensure his spot for Canada. 

Now I may be overstating that, because the real reason Richie wanted to move has to do with one of his best friends, a guy he grew up playing with, who has been pushing through steps and stages in Europe and it is starting to pay off: Larin. So maybe he thinks he needs to keep pushing for his spot on the Nats, and maybe he has Larin encouraging him. If this latter, since Cyle had a hard start, was loaned out to a rather uninspiring Belgium team, then finally started clicking, you'd expect Richie to be as patient as his role model in this case.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Now I wonder if he was being influenced by Osorio, letting himself get drawn in there, which is odder since, as has been mentioned, he was playing for Herdman and did not seem to have to take a step up to ensure his spot for Canada. 

Now I may be overstating that, because the real reason Richie wanted to move has to do with one of his best friends, a guy he grew up playing with, who has been pushing through steps and stages in Europe and it is starting to pay off: Larin. So maybe he thinks he needs to keep pushing for his spot on the Nats, and maybe he has Larin encouraging him. If this latter, since Cyle had a hard start, was loaned out to a rather uninspiring Belgium team, then finally started clicking, you'd expect Richie to be as patient as his role model in this case.

I'm not so sure. 🙂

I remember Greg Vanney in an interview talking about his first conversation with Laryea when he came up to Toronto from Orlando, and that Laryea strongly indicated he wanted to end up in Europe.  I remember the interview because Vanney expressed a certain bemusement to that answer as in, "what balls this kid has - making plans of already leaving when we're giving him a chance to revive his career."

I think he's wanted to make this type of move for a long time.

Edited by Metro

3 hours ago, Kent said:

And as for the debate of Forest vs Chelsea, just because you can remember a time when Chelsea wasn't big doesn't mean you should be blind to a time when Forest aren't big. I think saying Forest are a historic club is accurate, but they aren't currently a big club.

Which is the bigger club. This one?

image.thumb.png.db225d67ffa01fc60625050a5cf5712f.png

Or this one.
image.thumb.png.bcb79cc604043d86ee935e28dbfd4aeb.png

I don’t think anyone is disagreeing that Chelsea is the bigger club now. As the person who brought their name up, I used them as an example of a massive club now who weren’t a massive club in the past. Of course if you have an endless pot of money, you can buy as many trophies as you like. My point was, that just because Forest don’t have current success, it doesn’t mean they aren’t a big club (have a large fan base, are known outside of England, have a history etc.)

5 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I don’t think anyone is disagreeing that Chelsea is the bigger club now. As the person who brought their name up, I used them as an example of a massive club now who weren’t a massive club in the past. Of course if you have an endless pot of money, you can buy as many trophies as you like. My point was, that just because Forest don’t have current success, it doesn’t mean they aren’t a big club (have a large fan base, are known outside of England, have a history etc.)

You've got me wondering. Do TFC qualify as a big club? Obviously not a ton of history, but have won a league championship (no continental championship). Are known outside of Canada (obviously USA, but also England heard of us at least with the Jermaine Defoe signing, Brazil heard of us when Julio Cesar was playing for TFC, and Italy with Giovinco and now Insigne). I was curious about attendance and TFC and Nottingham Forest have similar average attendance over the last few pre-pandemic years. Some years TFC has higher attendance and some years Forest has higher attendance.

Obviously there is no set formula for determining what constitutes "big" or "not big" and I am not trying to pick apart your point. This is more me as a TFC fan getting a measuring stick out for my club and trying to assess where TFC are at these days.

8 hours ago, Kent said:

You've got me wondering. Do TFC qualify as a big club? Obviously not a ton of history, but have won a league championship (no continental championship). Are known outside of Canada (obviously USA, but also England heard of us at least with the Jermaine Defoe signing, Brazil heard of us when Julio Cesar was playing for TFC, and Italy with Giovinco and now Insigne). I was curious about attendance and TFC and Nottingham Forest have similar average attendance over the last few pre-pandemic years. Some years TFC has higher attendance and some years Forest has higher attendance.

Obviously there is no set formula for determining what constitutes "big" or "not big" and I am not trying to pick apart your point. This is more me as a TFC fan getting a measuring stick out for my club and trying to assess where TFC are at these days.

My experience is that soccer fans around the world know the Whitecaps, because it is same name as the team from NASL days. The branding works and has continuity. I've mentioned the team since the 90s, or wear my shirt, and many fans know it. It's NASL championship is from the Forest period as well. Davies, many fans know he was from the Caps.

People know there is a team in Toronto, for Giovinco or Insigne, and surely for their winning the league, but TFC does not ring a bell internationally, sorry to say. Oddly, fans expect the N American teams to have NA style nicknames. So folks recognise Galaxy, but may not know there is an LAFC.

(BTW, years back, in the early 80s, I recall meeting a family all in Caps shirts, on Marine Dr near Capilano Rd in North Van, they were asking for directions; and they told me they were Forest fans from Nottingham, and I mentioned that was a team to see-- but they said they feared going to Forest matches with the kids because of the hooliganism.)

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

My experience is that soccer fans around the world know the Whitecaps, because it is same name as the team from NASL days. The branding works and has continuity. I've mentioned the team since the 90s, or wear my shirt, and many fans know it. It's NASL championship is from the Forest period as well. Davies, many fans know he was from the Caps.

People know there is a team in Toronto, for Giovinco or Insigne, and surely for their winning the league, but TFC does not ring a bell internationally, sorry to say. Oddly, fans expect the N American teams to have NA style nicknames. So folks recognise Galaxy, but may not know there is an LAFC.

(BTW, years back, in the early 80s, I recall meeting a family all in Caps shirts, on Marine Dr near Capilano Rd in North Van, they were asking for directions; and they told me they were Forest fans from Nottingham, and I mentioned that was a team to see-- but they said they feared going to Forest matches with the kids because of the hooliganism.)

My personal two "pence" on that. We all have our personal experiences and therefore biases.

No one knows the 'Caps in England in my experience.  They didn't know Davies until he started embarrassing Chelsea players live on TV, really. My personal circle knows TFC because of Defoe, though.

On the sort of original topic, Chelsea has always been a huge club, as they say in England, " if your football experience began with Sky and the Premier League."   

For people older than that, Chelsea was decent, London club for a long while with a Firm more feared than their side on the pitch.

As for Forest, I was told multiple times when I first got to England that my football and country views were irrelevant because my country was younger than Nottingham Forest Football Club.

It is true, I don't hold any grudges and have great discussions with those people now. And I appreciate history.

Back to the real real topic, I wish Forest well as the more meaningful games they play, the better chance Laryea has to get meaningful minutes at a very good level.

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

...For people older than that, Chelsea was decent, London club for a long while with a Firm more feared than their side on the pitch...

Nearly bankrupted themselves by building a huge new grandstand in the early 70s resulting in several seasons in what was then still sensibly called the second division in front of relatively small crowds.

Arsenal and Spurs were the traditional big two in London with Chelsea and West Ham relatively big as well but generally viewed as a notch down from those two and as you say more renowned for the Headhunters and ICF side of things by the 1980s.

Even there though Millwall eclipsed them in a London context due to an infamous documentary by the BBC's Panorama.

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Nearly bankrupted themselves by building a huge new grandstand in the early 70s resulting in several seasons in what was then still sensibly called the second division in front of relatively small crowds.

Arsenal and Spurs were the traditional big two in London with Chelsea and West Ham relatively big as well but generally viewed as a notch down from those two and as you say more renowned for the Headhunters and ICF side of things by the 1980s.

Even there though Millwall eclipsed them in a London context due to an infamous documentary by the BBC's Panorama.

Word on the street is NY Jets owner is considering making an offer for Chelsea.  If his NFL track record is anything to go by Chelsea won't be in the PL for long and NF will probably pass them in a few years.

15 hours ago, costarg said:

Word on the street is NY Jets owner is considering making an offer for Chelsea.  If his NFL track record is anything to go by Chelsea won't be in the PL for long and NF will probably pass them in a few years.

When I first read your post, thought you said New York Mets.   Thats what registered in my mind. So i was thinking: “What are you talking about? “.  Their new owner spends like there is no tomorrow. 

Then i realized you said the “Jets”.   🙂   

Edited by Free kick

6 hours ago, Free kick said:

When I first read your post, thought you said New York Mets.   Thats what registered in my mind. So i was thinking: “What are you talking about? “.  Their new owner spends like there is no tomorrow. 

Then i realized you said the “Jets”.   🙂   

As opposed to the Sharks?

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

As opposed to the Sharks?

I spent the past hour trying to figure what the reference was here.  I didnt get it,  i was thinking San Jose sharks.  Then stumbled on something making reference to Steve Cohen and the Shark Tank. Unlike Dragons den,   I never watched the Shark tank so that's why i was lost.

Edited by Free kick

31 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I spent the past hour trying to figure what the reference was here.  I didnt get it,  i was thinking San Jose sharks.  Then stumbled on something making reference to Steve Cohen and the Shark Tank. Unlike Dragons den,   I never watched the Shark tank so that's why i was lost.

West Side Story.

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

I spent the past hour trying to figure what the reference was here.

West Side Story is a musical conceived by Jerome Robbins with music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, and a book by Arthur Laurents.

Inspired by William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet, the story is set in the mid-1950s in the Upper West Side of Manhattan in New York City, then a multiracial, blue-collar neighborhood. The musical explores the rivalry between the Jets and the Sharks, two teenage street gangs of different ethnic backgrounds.

7 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

West Side Story is a musical conceived by Jerome Robbins with music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, and a book by Arthur Laurents.

Inspired by William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet, the story is set in the mid-1950s in the Upper West Side of Manhattan in New York City, then a multiracial, blue-collar neighborhood. The musical explores the rivalry between the Jets and the Sharks, two teenage street gangs of different ethnic backgrounds.

Who knew reading a forum topic about a Canadian soccer player could get:

"When you're a Jet
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day"

back in my head after many years absence.  I guess there are worse tangents available.

On 3/11/2022 at 8:58 AM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Who knew reading a forum topic about a Canadian soccer player could get:

"When you're a Jet
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day"

back in my head after many years absence.  I guess there are worse tangents available.

I thought that was Alice Cooper?

26 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Not on the bench today

Pretty insane that this is the situation he’s in now. He’s had plenty of time to integrate into the team now, and I can’t imagine he’s just not good enough for this level of play. Don’t want to speculate too much but it makes you wonder if there’s some kind of personality clash with the manager or if there’s some tactical reason that the manager doesn’t see a role for him.

1 hour ago, blueseeka said:

Not on the bench today

This example, along with Jebbison and Eustaquio is exactly the reason I don't get excited when people start talking about David to Real Madrid and Larin to PL.  There are just soo many examples where getting to the big league and team just isn't worth it.  It could really hurt CANMNT.  CANMNT was really strong this year because ALL our pieces were playing big parts on their teams, no one was riding the bench.  If 5/6 of our best end up being smaller parts of good teams we'd see an immediate negative impact on CANMNT.  Look no further than USMNT for an example.

Just now, TOcanadafan said:

In the long run, I’m confident this move will benefit Laryea’s career, but definitely not the best for the CNMT at the moment.  I’m sure he is part of NFFC plans for next year.  He’ll just have to keep working hard in training for the remainder of this season.

Yeah.  We will get through this window, qualify for Qatar, Laryea will secure a role at NF and this time next year we will all have forgotten the tough start and view the move positively.