Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

Can you imagine such a thing happening today?  Not bloody likely. 

It had a similar vibe to a title fight or UFC pre-match press conference except that it was a battle of classic condescension, patronization, and passive aggressivity:  in other words, the football version of Downton Abbey.

I am watching today’s game right now on Sportsnet who are showing it on delay, I don’t see Richie as the same kind of player as this Spence that everyone is talking about. He seems more like a rightsided, trickier version of Shaffelburg than he does seem anything like Laryea in terms of skill set or playing style. It may just be a style of play issue with a team that is hot and needs little reason to change up its line up for the time being 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Let's assume Forest wins promotion...

If Laryea joined ahead of the EPL season, would you be just as concerned about his game time as now? Why or why not?

I would think some people would not be as concerned in recognizing that he would be with a team in one of the top league's in the world. But in reality I consider The Championship a top 10 team in the world and with the way Forrest has been playing of late , Ritchie was always going to have to earn and fight for playing time. He was never going to just walk in and be given it. Reality is they are three points out of the playoffs to play for the third promotion shot. 

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I am watching today’s game right now on Sportsnet who are showing it on delay, I don’t see Richie as the same kind of player as this Spence that everyone is talking about. He seems more like a rightsided, trickier version of Shaffelburg than he does seem anything like Laryea in terms of skill set or playing style. It may just be a style of play issue with a team that is hot and needs little reason to change up its line up for the time being 

I watched Forest for the first time this morning. Spence is too one-footed to really be a factor at a higher level. He doesn't even use his left foot to dribble or trap the ball. Good luck with that when trying to run at Premier League defenders.

4 hours ago, Cblake said:

I would think some people would not be as concerned in recognizing that he would be with a team in one of the top league's in the world. But in reality I consider The Championship a top 10 team in the world and with the way Forrest has been playing of late , Ritchie was always going to have to earn and fight for playing time. He was never going to just walk in and be given it. Reality is they are three points out of the playoffs to play for the third promotion shot. 

Agreed.

My line of thinking was that Forest are not your typical Championship team, they are a Championship team vying for a spot in the EPL. That's vastly different than Reading, for instance. I don't think it's a coincidence that Richie (new) and Jebbison (kinda new) have both struggled for time so far. Their clubs are in the thick of a promotion race. It's not the time for these clubs to tinker or have one eye on player development. There's too much on the line. Aside from a few player additions and subtractions, these are your EPL squads should you win promotion. Therefore, one could consider Richie's task is to break into an EPL level squad, not a Championship level squad, if that makes sense.

That may be a stretch to say about a team that's currently 9th, but there's only 10 points separating 2nd from 9th. That's 3 wins and a draw. That's nothing. It's really competitive up there at the top, aside from Fulham running away with it (9 pts up on 2nd place Huddersfield). All of these teams are clearly at a high level, arguably an EPL level, and I suspect we'd be feeling more patient about Richie if his team were actually in the Premier League, a divison which Forest may join in few months from now.

Edited by Obinna

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Agreed.

My line of thinking was that Forest are not your typical Championship team, they are a Championship team vying for a spot in the EPL. That's vastly different than Reading, for instance. I don't think it's a coincidence that Richie (new) and Jebbison (kinda new) have both struggled for time so far. Their clubs are in the thick of a promotion race. It's not the time for these clubs to tinker or have one eye on player development. There's too much on the line. Aside from a few player additions and subtractions, these are your EPL squads should you win promotion. Therefore, one could consider Richie's task is to break into an EPL level squad, not a Championship level squad, if that makes sense.

That may be a stretch to say about a team that's currently 9th, but there's only 10 points separating 2nd from 9th. That's 3 wins and a draw. That's nothing. It's really competitive up there at the top, aside from Fulham running away with it (9 pts up on 2nd place Huddersfield). All of these teams are clearly at a high level, arguably an EPL level, and I suspect we'd be feeling more patient about Richie if his team were actually in the Premier League, a divison which Forest may join in few months from now.

It’s Bournemouth not Huddersfield you should be looking at for 2nd place. 1 point behind with 4 games in hand and 2 in hand compared to Forrest. Next 3 against 3 of the bottom 4 in the table. No shot Forrest gets auto promotion. They’ve been hot of recent so assuming they make the playoffs they’d have a good chance.

3 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

It’s Bournemouth not Huddersfield you should be looking at for 2nd place. 1 point behind with 4 games in hand and 2 in hand compared to Forrest. Next 3 against 3 of the bottom 4 in the table. No shot Forrest gets auto promotion. They’ve been hot of recent so assuming they make the playoffs they’d have a good chance.

Sure, but points in hand are more valuable than points to be won, plus those relegation threatened teams have something to play for and won't lie down. Still though, Huddersfield will "probably" collect maximum points and will reduce the chances of the other promotion hunters "if" they do.

My main point is that the current iteration of Forest won't likely be much different than a future EPL iteration, so Richie not being able to walk into this team is understandable. Had the team already been in the Premier League I believe most of us would be extending our patience at this point, because after all it's the "Premier League".

On 3/5/2022 at 11:45 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

So you are arguing that because Herdman plays him I must be wrong. His manager at NF does not play him, at all. So I must be right (although if you read my post I stated his virtues better than you ever have).

Name one stellar match by Laryea in the entire qualifying cycle.

Has he been MOTM? Adekugbe, who you don't rate because he was a Caps player and is in Turkey, and is comparable as a back, has been MOTM by most accounts here. 

Has he been in any match one of the top 3 players on the team? I don't think so, may be wrong. Any goals or assists? Through balls? His one good shot on net, from a Davies pass, came vs Mexico at Azteca. Then 5 m after he got burned shortly afterwards for not covering his man on what was in fact a slow counter, he was just too indolent to mark the scorer. Watch that trot back again and feast in it.

If I had to do a matchday squad for Canada, would he be in my starting 11? He has poor associative play for a midfielder, is erratic as a side defender and can lose his man, and in attack does not score, rarely assists and is ineffective. Then he's a liability with his penchant for hockey goon stuff which on ice gets you a two minute minor, but in soccer can leave the team with 10 men.

1st bold item above. Laryea assisted on Hutchinson's goal against El Salvador in Toronto, and he assisted on Buchanan's goal against Panama in Toronto. It might not be what you had in mind but he also scored a goal early in the qualifying cycle against Bermuda.

2nd bold item above. Yes, you can make the argument that he didn't pick up his man against Mexico. You could also argue that Eustaquio was also jogging back, allowing a player to come up the middle and thus occupy Miller who otherwise would have been defending the guy who ended up scoring. There was another open player on the wing that Laryea would have been marking if Eustaquio and Miller took the 2 more central players. The team got overloaded and were punished. But yes, Laryea probably should have identified the threat sooner and gotten back quicker, sacrificing his own man on the wing to cover the more dangerously positioned player.

3rd bold item above. I've said this before, but this is not a liability like you are saying. You are worried he will cross a line that he is fully aware of and has never crossed. He has 0 red cards for Canada, 0 red cards in MLS. That's 7590 minutes as a pro with 0 red cards. For what it's worth, he has 20 yellow cards in his career. That's a rate of a yellow card every 4.2 games. I have no idea if that is high or low.

Edit: P.S. I meant to mention Laryea also had an assist in the Gold Cup against Haiti, and should have won a penalty against the USA, but it somehow wasn't given.

Edited by Kent

Laryea has shown to be a key piece to the squad. I hate how guys will scrutinize one guy, and neglect their importance/contributions to the squad…..but then find excuses or praise for another guy who is a fringe player, and hasn’t done much. 

Be consistent with your analysis regardless of who’s reading it. 

2 minutes ago, QBCS said:

It's more or less a 100% chance Djed Spence moves over to a mid-high premier league squad, correct? Is there anyone on the squad who Richie would compete with from there?

If Middlesbrough win promotion, I assume he returns and stays. 

Laryea chance will come sooner than later. He’s just gotta dig his heels in.

And as for the debate of Forest vs Chelsea, just because you can remember a time when Chelsea wasn't big doesn't mean you should be blind to a time when Forest aren't big. I think saying Forest are a historic club is accurate, but they aren't currently a big club.

Which is the bigger club. This one?

image.thumb.png.db225d67ffa01fc60625050a5cf5712f.png

Or this one.
image.thumb.png.bcb79cc604043d86ee935e28dbfd4aeb.png