Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

14 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Forrest is a really big club. Revenue does not make a club big or well known. Forrest a have a large world wide fan base and strong history. That’s what people talk about when they say it is a big club. They might not have current prestige of a plastic club like Chelsea who had no fans and shit ground but to say Toronto fc is a bigger club is wide of the mark. 

This is very much wrong on a couple of levels. I may not like Chelsea very much, but they have always been a bigger club, in terms of supporter base and revenue, than Nottingham Forest, even if they've historically been insignificant in comparison to Liverpool, Man Utd, and Arsenal. Forest have very few fans outside of their small pocket of the English midlands. However, yes, they did manage an unprecedented 3-4 years of success where they managed their only ever league title and a couple of European Cups. 

10 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

This is very much wrong on a couple of levels. I may not like Chelsea very much, but they have always been a bigger club, in terms of supporter base and revenue, than Nottingham Forest, even if they've historically been insignificant in comparison to Liverpool, Man Utd, and Arsenal. Forest have very few fans outside of their small pocket of the English midlands. However, yes, they did manage an unprecedented 3-4 years of success where they managed their only ever league title and a couple of European Cups. 

If they were a bigger club in terms of fan base why was the average attendance under 17,000 per year between 1980 and 1995?

I may be completely wrong but my impression was based on from speaking with coworkers who supported Chelsea since the 70s and photos of Stamford bridge with half empty stands. 

12 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

If they were a bigger club in terms of fan base why was the average attendance under 17,000 per year between 1980 and 1995?

I may be completely wrong but my impression was based on from speaking with coworkers who supported Chelsea since the 70s and photos of Stamford bridge with half empty stands. 

No offense, but to me a club that hasn't been in the Premier league in 30 years has ceased to be a big club for a while. They may be well supported locally, but that's about it.

12 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

No use arguing with the kids, they have no memory and no respect for history. 

I grew up measuring time in BC or AD, the kids in the last few years have their own measurement of time.  BM (Before Me). Nothing happened before me :

I watch reaction videos on Youtube where they claim to have never heard of Elvis or the Beatles, hell I heard of Glenn Miller and he was 40 years before my time.  But what makes the ignorance of history the more galling is the seeming pride that is taken in that.  I guess ignorance IS bliss. 

You'll have to excuse me, I have to go shake my fist at a cloud. 

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I grew up measuring time in BC or AD, the kids in the last few years have their own measurement of time.  BM (Before Me). Nothing happened before me :

I watch reaction videos on Youtube where they claim to have never heard of Elvis or the Beatles, hell I heard of Glenn Miller and he was 40 years before my time.  But what makes the ignorance of history the more galling is the seeming pride that is taken in that.  I guess ignorance IS bliss. 

You'll have to excuse me, I have to go shake my fist at a cloud. 

So.... Elvis was roughly 70 years ago and and The Beatles almost 60 years ago. "The kids" don't really need to know about those artists anymore than we need to know (and respect) what they are listening to now. Hell.... even Nirvana was 30 years ago. I think we sometimes get caught up in believing that what we know should be known by everyone despite age and culture. Us oldies navel gaze as much as anyone.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

The Nottingham Forest story of winning the title in England and subsequently the European Cup is a pretty amazing story.

And that story also involved Derby County, Leeds, Brian Clough, Peter Taylor, and Don Revie.  I think it is so iconically remembered because the story had so much depth, everybody could relate to something in it.  And then there's...

^You can get a feel for the times with the book and later the movie The Damned United.

One of the most iconic moments in sports broadcast journalism was on the day that Clough got the sack, he and Revie were on the same live tv sports show discussing the situation.  

Edited by BearcatSA

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No use arguing with the kids, they have no memory and no respect for history. 

I'm 47 years old, mate. Nottingham Forest have spent more time outside of the English top-flight than they have in it. That includes both the time before I was born, and since. Chelsea have spent less time in the second-tier in their entire history than Nottingham Forest's current period in the second- and third-tiers. Despite the remarkable story of an otherwise unremarkable club winning the league in their first season after promotion, then backing it up with 2 consecutive European Cup wins, Chelsea is undeniably a much bigger club than Nottingham Forest.

35 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

^You can get a feel for the times with the book and later the movie The Damned United.

One the  most iconic moments in sports broadcast journalism was on the day that Clough got the sack, he and Revie were on the same live tv sports show discussing the situation.  

I saw the Clough documentary, which discusses this, then there's this. Absolutely iconic. 

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

One the  most iconic moments in sports broadcast journalism was on the day that Clough got the sack, he and Revie were on the same live tv sports show discussing the situation.  

Can you imagine such a thing happening today?  Not bloody likely. 

4 hours ago, narduch said:

The Nottingham Forest story of winning the title in England and subsequently the European Cup is a pretty amazing story.

The kind of rise that rarely happens anymore in the modern game.

Chelsea, Man City, PSG...it happens but its just because there are new owners that are willing to throw a tonne of cash around