Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Have to laugh at Kaylin Kyle apparently calling Nottingham Forest a 'massive club'. They may have history, but their revenue is about 35-40 million USD in a normal year according to online sources I could find. TFC brings in more than that. That's not a massive club. Also have to laugh that Steve Cooper thinks a guy that did a solid, if not spectacular, job defending forwards from Chelsea, Napoli and Atletico Madrid in the last six months can't handle the likes of Morgan Gibbs-White and Sander Berge. But hey, English soccer men know best...

Maybe there's some other explanation, but if Cooper's claiming he's not good enough, give me a break.

Nottingham Forest is legacy club in the UK They are a massive club that has fallen from its past. (Similar to Leeds United who have found some of their way back)

Sorry the rest of the world doesn’t judge how massive a club is by their revenue.

The club is in a promotion fight and would be the first time back in the top flight since 1999 I think and have lost out on promotion like 6 times so getting into the playoffs is a big deal for them. And getting promoted is worth between £135-250 million to a team… so yeah a lot on the line ..

im not a NF fan but their place in English football history is deep. During the Brian Clough era between 1975-1982 they were arguably one of the top clubs in England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 And 1979 and 1980 they won the European Cup. 

As for Richie don’t really know what’s going on but let’s hope he breaks through soon…

On 1/9/2022 at 8:58 AM, Red_Dog said:

Hey,

Nottingham Forest fan here.

I'm excited to see how Laryea gets on over here.  His speed, intensity and dynamic give reason for optimism.  We play a 343 formation quite often, so he will get opportunities to play LWB and RWB.

He will have a bit of a fight on his hands to start.  Our RWB is one of our best performers this season, Djed Spence.  However, he is on loan and it is unclear if we will be able to make that deal permanent in the summer, he will be expensive.

Max Lowe is at LWB (although has been injured and is due back in the next week or so) it is also unclear if we will seek to make his deal permanent in the summer.  But initially I expect Laryea's opportunities will come at LWB.  However come the summer, he will have every chance to make the RWB spot his own.

We do have a lot of RB's.  However, Jenkinson is useless and will never play for us again.  Drager was forced upon us by our former (and useless) CEO and has never played, and likely never will.  Spence is on loan as mentioned above, and Fin Back is only a young lad and is more of a RB or CM than a RWB.  at LWB, Lowe is on loan as mentioned above, Bong is terrible and will be released in the summer and we don't really have anyone in the Academy ready to fight for a spot.  We are trying to sign a LB/LWB called Lee Buchanan is is young and talented.  I suspect Laryea will be given the next 4/5 months to settle in and his time here will really start next season.  

Re: Salary.  We have paid out crazy money in recent years, but we've recently had a big (and much needed) change of business plan.  Our new CEO is Dane Murphy (for MLS player) and he's worked wonder in his short time here.  Our whole ethos has chance and we're finally moving forward into the modern era of football.  We're very much a team in transition right now.  But we seemingly have a top wage budget now of £18,000 (GBP) per week.  Purely guesswork, but I suspect Laryea would be earning between £10-15,000 per week.

He will get a lot of exposure over here.  If he hits the ground running and performs well beyond expectation, he will have the opportunity to move into the Prem or other top European league.  Although in reality, at (just turned) 27, it's much more likely he will have to get into the Prem with us.  

Hopefully he does hit the ground running, he will get opportunity early on I suspect, although as I said, I think he will be given the remainder of this season to bed in before we expect to see the best of him. 

Hey @Red_Dog do you have any info as to why Laryea has not been on the game squads?

42 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Shocked to see him not on the bench.

Do allocation rules apply to loans, or just transfers? There's no mention at https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-allocation-process

I know that they pro rate the transfers costs into the calculation of the salary for salary cap purposes.    So a loan might be considered a transfer costs.   As for the rest of your question,  I dont know.   

PS.:   there is a superb article in the Athletic that just came out.    i highly recommend it.  Sam Stejkal and Paul Tenorio interviewed and surveyed anonymously 12-16 club execs across MLS about all facets of the league what they like and hate about the league and their peers etc etc.  Its very lengthy.  And they leave out names.   The complexities of the league came up a lot as a criticism and one person went so far to state that even the league offices doesn't even like most of these rules.  The most criticism was directed at Discovery lists and discover claims, then there was a flack directed at the impact of transfer costs on teh salary cap and how this is a disincentive to improving the talent in the in league.    Next was that GAM and TAM thing that drew a lot of ire.

Edited by Free kick

I do have to say that if Richie is playing for Forest anything like he played for us in this last window, I can see why he's not getting minutes.  I don't know if it was a lack of fitness or match sharpness or perhaps a "thinking too much" problem, but he was pretty uninspiring, at least relative to the previous windows where he was superb.  If was almost as if the "give a foul, take a foul, fight tooth and nail" Richie was replaced by zombie Richie.   Not sure who to blame, but I'm going with Forest/Steve Cooper.  They wrecked our Richie.

2 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I do have to say that if Richie is playing for Forest anything like he played for us in this last window, I can see why he's not getting minutes.  I don't know if it was a lack of fitness or match sharpness or perhaps a "thinking too much" problem, but he was pretty uninspiring, at least relative to the previous windows where he was superb.  If was almost as if the "give a foul, take a foul, fight tooth and nail" Richie was replaced by zombie Richie.   Not sure who to blame, but I'm going with Forest/Steve Cooper.  They wrecked our Richie.

I was right on the right sideline of the Canadian end for the first half of the USA game in Hamilton. I have to say I disagree with your assessment of his play, at least for the US game. He didn't get forward, but he and Johnston shut down Pulisic and Robinson. I would agree that we haven't been seeing much of the exciting offensive play from him that we saw with TFC pre-2021.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

I was right on the right sideline of the Canadian end for the first half of the USA game in Hamilton. I have to say I disagree with your assessment of his play, at least for the US game. He didn't get forward, but he and Johnston shut down Pulisic and Robinson. I would agree that we haven't been seeing much of the exciting offensive play from him that we saw with TFC pre-2021.

Actually, that's fair - he was pretty good defensively against the US.  He also had a couple moments against El Salvador, but didn't do much in the 30 minutes against Honduras.  Overall though, just not the Richie we're used to seeing...

Here's my take. The current incumbents playing excellent is definitely true, but what probably is also hindering Richie in my view is that he's not a typical fullback. I think we all know that he's more offensively-oriented, but even offensively he's not the most "technically conventional" player. He has a bit of an unorthodox style that I termed "Richie magic". Some of his runs/dribbles sometimes look pretty wonky, yet he manages to get by his man and create scoring opportunities. I feel like in England, where they are used to more conventional styles, Richie's style could be hard to appreciate because it's more unique - I know it took me a while to get used at TFC - at first I preferred Auro who was more conventional and played more predictably. Even taking off our Canadian blinders, I feel like being in North America we can be more accepting of a more unique style because we're used to less technical excellence here. Over in a footy-mad culture like England, different can be a major hinderance. I was actually always skeptical of Richie making a move to Europe because of that, wondering how his style would translate to a European playing mentality.

10 hours ago, Cicero said:

Have to laugh at Kaylin Kyle apparently calling Nottingham Forest a 'massive club'. They may have history, but their revenue is about 35-40 million USD in a normal year according to online sources I could find. TFC brings in more than that. That's not a massive club. Also have to laugh that Steve Cooper thinks a guy that did a solid, if not spectacular, job defending forwards from Chelsea, Napoli and Atletico Madrid in the last six months can't handle the likes of Morgan Gibbs-White and Sander Berge. But hey, English soccer men know best...

Maybe there's some other explanation, but if Cooper's claiming he's not good enough, give me a break.

Forrest is a really big club. Revenue does not make a club big or well known. Forrest a have a large world wide fan base and strong history. That’s what people talk about when they say it is a big club. They might not have current prestige of a plastic club like Chelsea who had no fans and shit ground but to say Toronto fc is a bigger club is wide of the mark. 

7 hours ago, rydermike said:

Here's my take. The current incumbents playing excellent is definitely true, but what probably is also hindering Richie in my view is that he's not a typical fullback. I think we all know that he's more offensively-oriented, but even offensively he's not the most "technically conventional" player. He has a bit of an unorthodox style that I termed "Richie magic". Some of his runs/dribbles sometimes look pretty wonky, yet he manages to get by his man and create scoring opportunities. I feel like in England, where they are used to more conventional styles, Richie's style could be hard to appreciate because it's more unique - I know it took me a while to get used at TFC - at first I preferred Auro who was more conventional and played more predictably. Even taking off our Canadian blinders, I feel like being in North America we can be more accepting of a more unique style because we're used to less technical excellence here. Over in a footy-mad culture like England, different can be a major hinderance. I was actually always skeptical of Richie making a move to Europe because of that, wondering how his style would translate to a European playing mentality.

I agree with part of this. In any case, when Forest see his versatility, and he can be put on and make things happen, then they may start to value him more. He has qualities that cannot be seen, perhaps, in training, I suspect his game mode is quite different than how he may train.

Not being a TFC fan I have never had this exagerrated rating of Laryea like most here. He is just basic and solid defensively, then has flashes in attack that are very promising. 

For Canada he is very off and on, he can be very visible then just sort of disappear. And if anything can be not only erratic but seems very close to irrational at times. He is close to meaningless cards, eager to get into useless battles, and that reflects a guy who goes his own way. All of that is not necessarily negative though, some of the teams I follow that don't get results are missing this sort of character and gutsiness. But Canada is a team with a lot of character guys, and in more crucial positions (goal, attacking wings), so we don't necessarily need too many on the field at once.

I think he is very useful for Canada as a kind of slash and burn player. He'll go out and be proactive, he has a lot of character, he can incite the team in certain moments. But he is not the most disciplined player, not the best technical player, and in the crunch, as we've seen, a more rigorous defender like Adekugbe is probably a rung higher and more effective.

2 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Forrest is a really big club. Revenue does not make a club big or well known. Forrest a have a large world wide fan base and strong history. That’s what people talk about when they say it is a big club. They might not have current prestige of a plastic club like Chelsea who had no fans and shit ground but to say Toronto fc is a bigger club is wide of the mark. 

I've had to deal with comments here about Deportivo La Coruña, who are in third tier now, and you get the comments about them being an elevator team and whatnot. Then they played a Youth League match recently and filled the stadium (YL is now including nationally rated u-19s and not just affiliated of CL teams). 

Everyone in Spain knows Racing Santander, Gijon, Oviedo, Zaragoza, are big historical clubs, many have played in Europe, even winning trophies.

In Spain, like England, and Germany very much so this season (Bremen, Schalke, Hamburg, Hannover), there are major clubs with large stadiums in lower tiers. The fans may have a lot of frustration to deal with, incompetent financial management. But the difference especially in England is that revenue sharing is more equitable and supports the Championship, and even further down, so you don't have to undo an entire team if you relegate. The only issue is that new money can rival tradition. 

17 hours ago, spitfire said:

Nottingham Forest is legacy club in the UK They are a massive club that has fallen from its past. (Similar to Leeds United who have found some of their way back)

Sorry the rest of the world doesn’t judge how massive a club is by their revenue.

The club is in a promotion fight and would be the first time back in the top flight since 1999 I think and have lost out on promotion like 6 times so getting into the playoffs is a big deal for them. And getting promoted is worth between £135-250 million to a team… so yeah a lot on the line ..

im not a NF fan but their place in English football history is deep. During the Brian Clough era between 1975-1982 they were arguably one of the top clubs in England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 And 1979 and 1980 they won the European Cup. 

As for Richie don’t really know what’s going on but let’s hope he breaks through soon…

A little off topic but "The Damned United" is perhaps my favourite soccer movie.  Not sure how factual it is, but it's a lot of fun to watch. 🙂

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not being a TFC fan I have never had this exagerrated rating of Laryea like most here. He is just basic and solid defensively, then has flashes in attack that are very promising. 

So essentially you are saying that he has been amongst the minute leaders in this WCQ cycle because of the “exaggerated rating placed on him by TFC fans”?

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

So essentially you are saying that he has been amongst the minute leaders in this WCQ cycle because of the “exaggerated rating placed on him by TFC fans”?

So you are arguing that because Herdman plays him I must be wrong. His manager at NF does not play him, at all. So I must be right (although if you read my post I stated his virtues better than you ever have).

Name one stellar match by Laryea in the entire qualifying cycle.

Has he been MOTM? Adekugbe, who you don't rate because he was a Caps player and is in Turkey, and is comparable as a back, has been MOTM by most accounts here. 

Has he been in any match one of the top 3 players on the team? I don't think so, may be wrong. Any goals or assists? Through balls? His one good shot on net, from a Davies pass, came vs Mexico at Azteca. Then 5 m after he got burned shortly afterwards for not covering his man on what was in fact a slow counter, he was just too indolent to mark the scorer. Watch that trot back again and feast in it.

If I had to do a matchday squad for Canada, would he be in my starting 11? He has poor associative play for a midfielder, is erratic as a side defender and can lose his man, and in attack does not score, rarely assists and is ineffective. Then he's a liability with his penchant for hockey goon stuff which on ice gets you a two minute minor, but in soccer can leave the team with 10 men.

best thing for Laryea is to work his butt off, improve on whatever the coaching staff at NF has presumably told him he needs to do and wait for his chance.  Surely the cub did their due diligence on him and concluded he could help them, so perhaps he is just not working hard enough to get the manager's attention. The worst thing he can do is sulk and give up. btw, other than the last window, I think Ritchie has been solid for the CMNT. He does tend to tune out defensively at times. Seen it at the GC vs USA and in WCQ as others have mentioned, but overall he has been an important player for Canada