Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

2 minutes ago, lbula17 said:

I understand he's very talented, but who would he replace. TFC is trying to increase the value of JMR who currently plays the same position as Laryea.

Kerr got subbed out in the right attacking position after being pretty anonymous last game.  Richie could easily slide into that position and make an immediate impact.   As much as I like the current youth movement in Toronto, I wouldn’t mind seeing Laryea return and displace someone who may not be ready yet.  Him getting consistent playing time is pretty crucial in the build up to Qatar.  And as much as I was happy he got the European move he wanted, the MLS season would allow him to stay tuned up perfectly.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Kerr got subbed out in the right attacking position after being pretty anonymous last game.  Richie could easily slide into that position and make an immediate impact.   As much as I like the current youth movement in Toronto, I wouldn’t mind seeing Laryea return and displace someone who may not be ready yet.  Him getting consistent playing time is pretty crucial in the build up to Qatar.  And as much as I was happy he got the European move he wanted, the MLS season would allow him to stay tuned up perfectly.  

But do we want Laryea playing RW/RM when CANMNT uses him as a RB or would TFC switch JMR and Laryea so JMR plays RW and Laryea plays RB

23 minutes ago, lbula17 said:

But do we want Laryea playing RW/RM when CANMNT uses him as a RB or would TFC switch JMR and Laryea so JMR plays RW and Laryea plays RB

I don't think him playing RW/RM means he will be less effective as a RB. He is positionally and defensively sound and can win a tackle and he won't lose that by playing further up the field. That is why he worked so well at RB to TFC right away. That is all Orlando thought Laryea had and players like that are a dime a dozen in MLS so they let him go. Only when he was given the freedom to dribble with the ball at TFC was he able to show his offensive skills.

7 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Based on what I have heard from Andi Petrillo on some other radio shows throughout Canada,  i would conclude that her sources are very good.   

She's literally married to a TFC assistant coach.

Not that I think he's the source, but it's not exactly a stretch to say that she has good connections with the club.

7 minutes ago, RS said:

She's literally married to a TFC assistant coach.

I was actually going to say that.   But since this is public forum, i thought otherwise.  She mentioned once on a radio broadcast that her husband works for TFC 

Edited by Free kick

43 minutes ago, lbula17 said:

I don’t think Richie is limited to one role with the CMNT.  It seems like he has had fairly substantial attacking roles for us in the recent past so I think he would be fine playing on that advanced role for TFC.  Having said that, switching roles with JMR would be fine too (preferred actually since I don’t see Rutty as a RB long term).  

9 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I was actually going to say that.   But since this is public forum, i thought otherwise.  She mentioned once on a radio broadcast that her husband works for TFC 

It's fine. They're both professionals and if he was leaking stuff to her it'd be really easy for the club to find out.

15 minutes ago, RS said:

It's fine. They're both professionals and if he was leaking stuff to her it'd be really easy for the club to find out.

I've said this before, but I've always found it comical when, on a Onesoccer panel with Gareth, Oli and (say) KJ, she asks those guys for "insider" information on TFC or MLS, when she damn well knows more than the 3 put together!

Man, I have to question the decision making that went into this transfer? What was the communication with the club? If I'm Richie I'm second guessing my agent. IF he really wanted a championship move, I'm sure there would have been other clubs that could have at least guaranteed him a spot on the bench... 

Edited by king1010

26 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Man, I have to question the decision making that went into this transfer? What was the communication with the club? If I'm Richie I'm second guessing my agent. IF he really wanted a championship move, I'm sure there would have been other clubs that could have at least guaranteed him a spot on the bench... 

I feel like its mostly a form thing with the coach not wanting to disrupt the rhythm the team is in. But I don't have an explanation as to why he's not even making the bench, unless Richie is just not training well enough after the long offseason.

If I'm remembering correctly he was good, not great, for Canada in January.

^^Perhaps because he hasn't played regularly since November and you need time to build your endurance to maintain the pace required for this League.

I think he should stay where he is. The two fullbacks ahead of him are on loan and NF is fighting for a playoff spot.

He's got a foot in the door which is what he always wanted.  Keep fighting, Ritchie.

After thinking about this a little bit, I am prepared to join those who say he should stay.

Did we expect him to be playing already? Yes, but....

• Forest are just 3 points behind Luton for the final playoff spot.
  • They have a superior GD to Luton (6th), Sheffield (7th) and Middlesborough (8th), Coventry (10th), Millwall (11th) and Preston (12th).
  • There's still a little more than a quarter of the season to go. Injuries happen as well.

In a few months from now Richie could find himself getting minutes, in the final stretch of the season, and all of this will be a distant memory and will be worth the wait, hopefully with Forest and Laryea fight for promotion. 

8 hours ago, Metro said:

Yeah, I caught that too and I literally said to my tv: "would you like to expand on that?" 

My guess her source was Kalyn Kyle who mentioned a couple of times on the show she's good friends with Richie.

Listened to the full bit… Kaylyn Kyle had the opinion that he is at a massive club and should take this as an opportunity,  put his head down and work hard - and that it could take a while.  I’m not sure if Kyle or Petrillo said that it might not be the best thing for his situation at Forest if they got word that he was fishing around for a return.

Edited by TOcanadafan

When Richie originally made the move they said they saw him providing cover for the left wingback.  Max Lowe was hurt but returned about the time Richie made the move.  Lowe isn't eligible to play today as Forest are playing his parent club.  I thought this was the day Richie would at least make the bench, but he's unfortunately not in the squad again today. 

1 hour ago, prairiecanuck said:

When Richie originally made the move they said they saw him providing cover for the left wingback.  Max Lowe was hurt but returned about the time Richie made the move.  Lowe isn't eligible to play today as Forest are playing his parent club.  I thought this was the day Richie would at least make the bench, but he's unfortunately not in the squad again today. 

Yeah it’s getting a little worrying now. To not even be in the squad when the starting LWB is ineligible shows how far down the depth chart is. Unless he’s injured, things are clearly not right.

9 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Yeah it’s getting a little worrying now. To not even be in the squad when the starting LWB is ineligible shows how far down the depth chart is. Unless he’s injured, things are clearly not right.

How bad did the manager want the player, I wonder?

Have to laugh at Kaylin Kyle apparently calling Nottingham Forest a 'massive club'. They may have history, but their revenue is about 35-40 million USD in a normal year according to online sources I could find. TFC brings in more than that. That's not a massive club. Also have to laugh that Steve Cooper thinks a guy that did a solid, if not spectacular, job defending forwards from Chelsea, Napoli and Atletico Madrid in the last six months can't handle the likes of Morgan Gibbs-White and Sander Berge. But hey, English soccer men know best...

Maybe there's some other explanation, but if Cooper's claiming he's not good enough, give me a break.