Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

And its not just a europe vs NA thing.  Any guy who starts doing well at a club there is an instant clammering for him to move on to a bigger club.  Sometimes a player gets in a good situation, formation, manager etc and it just works, it clicks.  WHy is that the time to pull up stakes and jump to a team whose manager might not rate him and he has to play behind another real good fullback?  

It does seem there's an anti-American bias in England that maybe Canadians get lumped into. I sometimes think English managers are the equivalent of Canadian 'hockey men' who grew up with the notion of superiority, but don't realize the game left them behind some years ago. At the EPL level that seems to be fading, and Southgate seems more forward thinking, not to mention Herdman. I know nothing about the Nottingham Forest manager, so not sure where he fits in.

For the players, until the last few years, there was no way to make a significant salary jump unless they showed they could make it somewhere else. Americans and Canadians in MLS would get stuck in the low tier salary category while anyone coming from somewhere else was seen as more valuable. That has started to change, so I think people will start to accept that a good MLS career can be considered a good career in general.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

And its not just a europe vs NA thing.  Any guy who starts doing well at a club there is an instant clammering for him to move on to a bigger club.  Sometimes a player gets in a good situation, formation, manager etc and it just works, it clicks.  WHy is that the time to pull up stakes and jump to a team whose manager might not rate him and he has to play behind another real good fullback?  

For the players, it's not just about playing time. These are professionals with short playing careers. A CPL player who makes the jump to MLS to make the league minimum and never becoming a starter maybe better off in the short term and possibly the long term. Depends on age and development curve of course. Laryea's contract lasts until he is almost 31, an age at which another big money deal is unlikely. Even if he doesn't play a minute for Forest during that time, it's a good financial move.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

For the players, it's not just about playing time. These are professionals with short playing careers. A CPL player who makes the jump to MLS to make the league minimum and never becoming a starter maybe better off in the short term and possibly the long term. Depends on age and development curve of course. Laryea's contract lasts until he is almost 31, an age at which another big money deal is unlikely. Even if he doesn't play a minute for Forest during that time, it's a good financial move.

Sure, there is that to think about, and its not a small thing, we alll need dollar bills.  But already people are whining, Lareya isnt playing, he wont be ready to camps, maybe it puts his WC spot in question etc etc.  Having your cake and eating it to isnt easy.  I'm happy for him he gets a payday, makes a dream jump to europe, but I cant really say i am surprised that there is an tough adjustment period, he is nailed to the bench and maybe wont play much this season.   

If JMR and SHaff blossom as FB/WB, ZBG has good season, another CB emerges that pushes Johnston back to his regular RB spot there will be alot of competition for those CMNT spots.  

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

It does seem there's an anti-American bias in England that maybe Canadians get lumped into. I sometimes think English managers are the equivalent of Canadian 'hockey men' who grew up with the notion of superiority, but don't realize the game left them behind some years ago. At the EPL level that seems to be fading, and Southgate seems more forward thinking, not to mention Herdman. I know nothing about the Nottingham Forest manager, so not sure where he fits in.

For the players, until the last few years, there was no way to make a significant salary jump unless they showed they could make it somewhere else. Americans and Canadians in MLS would get stuck in the low tier salary category while anyone coming from somewhere else was seen as more valuable. That has started to change, so I think people will start to accept that a good MLS career can be considered a good career in general.

I agree, the bolded part is a very good analogy.  And i do think that they look and associate nationality with abilities.   Hockey pundits do this alot.   Thats the problem.  You come from this or that country, you must be this or that type of player.  Or, you are not as good this good ole canadian boy who rode the long bus rides of junior hockey. Cause those long bus rides, supposedly builds character.

Edited by Free kick

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Thats the problem, a move to Notts forest is good move for Laryea financially, but not a good move for our MNT and for his play on our MNT.  

I believe TFC were willing to pay him as much. Laryea just wanted the move. Good for him to get what he wanted but moving to Europe is not always automatically better.

40 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I believe TFC were willing to pay him as much. Laryea just wanted the move. Good for him to get what he wanted but moving to Europe is not always automatically better.

Agreed.   Its not automatically better.  For equal money, i could understand someone opting to go where there is a greater spotlight.  Problem there is:  is the championship a greater spotlight than MLS?  That part i am not sure about. 

Edited by Free kick

I think it is too early to be very concerned about his lack of playing time, Forest are on a good run to the play offs and maybe the manager doesn't want to change much if everyone is healthy! The Championship is a very tough league with fixtures coming fast and furious, injuries will happen and Forest will hit a bad patch, Richie will get a chance to play and I think that's all he needs!

Players with ambition will always try to push their ceiling. There is always a risk ... no different than when you move from one job to another. New boss/workmates/new industry etc. If Ritchie wins a starting spot he will become a better player with NF. Playing vs and with better players will do that. He was already one of the best RBs in MLS. Not sure how much more he could improve if he stayed with TFC. With a WC spot in their sights I'm sure JH is pushing his players to make a move to stronger leagues.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Players with ambition will always try to push their ceiling. There is always a risk ... no different than when you move from one job to another. New boss/workmates/new industry etc. If Ritchie wins a starting spot he will become a better player with NF. Playing vs and with better players will do that. He was already one of the best RBs in MLS. Not sure how much more he could improve if he stayed with TFC. With a WC spot in their sights I'm sure JH is pushing his players to make a move to stronger leagues.

If he would have stayed with with TFC this year, then by the end of the year he would have played with teammates who collectively have accumulated 409 senior national team caps.   That includes caps from countries like the US (151), Mexico(48), Italy(79), Jamaica(74), Canada(52),Congo(5)Etc.  

On the Notts forest, for his teammates,  i could only count a collective total of 24 senior national team caps amongst all of his teammates.  And one player (Scott McKenna) accounts for 23 of those with Scotland.  Admittly,  i stopped counting after about 9-10…. Cause it was mostly players with no international exposure.

edit.:  by the way,  when i counted 409 caps on TFC,  that includes WC finals, Euros finals, Copa america…etc. 

Edited by Free kick

1 minute ago, kohanz said:

It's way too early to be concerned about this. He needs time, even in training, to show his worth. It wasn't that long ago that people were worried about Phonzie's start at Bayern and hoping that he would get loaned out to a lesser side.

It’s true, Richie knew what he was doing when he signed.

16 hours ago, Free kick said:

If he would have stayed with with TFC this year, then by the end of the year he would have played with teammates who collectively have accumulated 409 senior national team caps.   That includes caps from countries like the US (151), Mexico(48), Italy(79), Jamaica(74), Canada(52),Congo(5) etc...

Think the key difference between MLS and the Championship in England is that you have more quality in depth in the latter because there are fewer players on either extreme in terms of technical skills and salary. That breeds greater competition for places in the team between players of reasonably comparable ability than you usually have in an MLS context.

Adding to this... look at it from Forests perspective. They've lost one match since the start of January including cup wins over Arsenal and Leicester. If I were the manager I wouldn't want to play around with what's working too much either.

Richie will get his chances, just give it time everyone

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think the key difference between MLS and the Championship in England is that you have more quality in depth in the latter because there are fewer players on either extreme in terms of technical skills and salary. That breeds greater competition for places in the team between players of reasonably comparable ability than you usually have in an MLS context.

A lot of that depth is just overpaid English players. Where they are getting paid the equivalent of $1 million USD, in the MLS they would likely get $500k. The enormous amount of TV money available to the English leagues causes this. The equivalent skilled player in the Serie B will be making much less than their English counterparts.

58 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

A lot of that depth is just overpaid English players. Where they are getting paid the equivalent of $1 million USD, in the MLS they would likely get $500k. The enormous amount of TV money available to the English leagues causes this. The equivalent skilled player in the Serie B will be making much less than their English counterparts.

Yes.  The English come out to support very well the  clubs from lower leagues including the championship.  They do this better than any country.  That means that there are a handful of teams in the championship that earn revenues comparable or higher to MLS clubs.   Hence they can pay higher wages than many other first division sides.  

But does that mean that the talent on these sides is superior to first div sides elsewhere?  Well talent is a marketable commodity so the economic answer is: yes.   But in practice the answer is no and that because (if you look closely at the players and their profiles) you quickly notice that the vast majority are not aspiring internationals or on the radar to be aspiring internationals. There are Portuguese, Danish etc players on NF but they are not on radar for international duty and they obviously must know when they signed on for NF.   There is a specific reason why I took the pain to the count up the caps the caps for NF versus TFC.    I will buy and accept that the bottom half or third is the roster on these sides is better than on TFC or any other MLS team,  but I am still not convinced that overall this translates into a more competitive environment.  Top end quality is also something that counts in making an environment competive and that is in short supply in places like NF. 

Edited by Free kick

Andi Petrillo on the OneSoccer stream today mentioned that Laryea wouldn't mind returning to Toronto since he hasn't played at all. Around the 29:00 mark if you look on OneSoccer Today on YouTube.  She didn't mention a source, so I would take this with a grain of salt, but all may not be well in the Forest. He did expect to be playing, after all.

Edited by Trois Reds
added a line

This is a curious case.

Was he really given a guarantee? I thought that was weird considering the amount of fullbacks they had….even with them willing to send Jenkinson to Melbourne City. 

RB/RWB opportunity doesnt happen without Spence getting injured. 

16 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Same in Spain. 2nd tier is far lower paid than Championship. It has similarities to it (hard-fought, competitive), and like it, has a mass of good players you may have never heard of. 

To be honest, from having watched 2nd tier in Spain, Germany and England, it is mostly unwatchable unless you have a team you support. And the quality, on average, is a bit above MLS. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Same in Spain. 2nd tier is far lower paid than Championship. It has similarities to it (hard-fought, competitive), and like it, has a mass of good players you may have never heard of. 

To be honest, from having watched 2nd tier in Spain, Germany and England, it is mostly unwatchable unless you have a team you support. And the quality, on average, is a bit above MLS. 

If those leagues are unwatchable then it must be slim pickings in terms of what you consider watchable as those 2nd tiers are better than most nations' first divisions. 

10 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

Andi Petrillo on the OneSoccer stream today mentioned that Laryea wouldn't mind returning to Toronto since he hasn't played at all. Around the 29:00 mark if you look on OneSoccer Today on YouTube.  She didn't mention a source, so I would take this with a grain of salt, but all may not be well in the Forest. He did expect to be playing, after all.

Yeah, I caught that too and I literally said to my tv: "would you like to expand on that?" 

My guess her source was Kalyn Kyle who mentioned a couple of times on the show she's good friends with Richie.

9 minutes ago, Cblake said:

This would be challenging to pull off for TFC based on the transfer amount they received. They would have to acquire the top allocation spot. 

I understand he's very talented, but who would he replace. TFC is trying to increase the value of JMR who currently plays the same position as Laryea.