Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

11 minutes ago, Güerito said:

I'm so confused.  What does this mean?  Should I like this?  i think I should. 

So he just pops up on the Forest bench after all this time?  Just like that?  Maybe I missed it, but, so, he's been training with them?

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

I'm so confused.  What does this mean?  Should I like this?  i think I should. 

So he just pops up on the Forest bench after all this time?  Just like that?  Maybe I missed it, but, so, he's been training with them?

These 25 man rosters don't have to include U21 players so he still might be on the periphery.

Would be an insane story if he pulls it off 

At minimum, it means he is training with Premier League players in advance of our March game.  They are in mid-season so it will be difficult to break into the team, but even if he is making bench appearances it has to be better than nothing at all.   Richie seems to always be crazy fit, so hopefully he can get fully tuned up over the next month or so.   

I assume he’ll just train with them and maybe make some bench appearances to fill out the lineup when needed, wouldn’t expect him to play though.

I did hear somewhere that Laryea is technically the longest tenured Forest player now? Or second? If he does make a premier league experience, I’ll eat my hat. Would be fantastic.

I'm telling you guys, if Richie finds his way into the Forest team this season I won't be that surprised. He's underrated, even on this forum.

Not exactly predicting him to be a starter, but can he have a role similar to when they were in the Championship? It's possible. I am cautiously optimistic that he starts getting named to the bench and maybe, just maybe, we see him on the field a handful of times before the season is finished.

In all likelihood he remains a fringe player, but if they had zero intention of using him he wouldn't be listed in that 25. 

The 25 is a little deceiving. Having a full 25 players on that list is rare.

Man City have 18 for instance.  Wolves 19, West Ham 21 etc.

Most teams fill from the under 21s because you can only have 17 non- homegrown on the 25 and in the cut throat world of Premiership, getting those 8 homegrown is difficult, apparently.

Great to see him there but teams function with a lot less.

Here's hoping he gets some shots and makes himself a move to a better situation.

Official lists:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3886218

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Most teams fill from the under 21s because you can only have 17 non home grown on the 25 and in the cut throat world of Premiership, getting those 8 homegrown is difficult, apparently.

Here's hoping.

Official lists:

Good context to keep in mind. Thanks for that.

How do we interpret this rarity? I'd like to think Forest's 25 is no different than Man City's 18, which is to say that each have chosen their players according to their situation.

The fact City have 18 may suggest they know their group, are convinced by their group, and know who will play. So, maybe the opposite is true for Forest? Maybe the chance is now here for Laryea to train well and push into the 18?

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

How do we interpret this rarity? I'd like to think Forest's 25 is no different than Man City's 18, which is to say that each have chosen their players according to their situation.

The fact City have 18 may suggest they know their group, are convinced by their group, and know who will play. So, maybe the opposite is true for Forest? Maybe the chance is now here for Laryea to train well and push into the 18?

u21s don't need to be registered, so guys like Gvardiol, Doku, Bobb, and Lewis don't count toward to the 25. I imagine if Laryea were (somehow) on the books at Man City right now that he would be part of the 25.

57 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I'm telling you guys, if Richie finds his way into the Forest team this season I won't be that surprised. He's underrated, even on this forum.

Not exactly predicting him to be a starter, but can he have a role similar to when they were in the Championship? It's possible. I am cautiously optimistic that he starts getting named to the bench and maybe, just maybe, we see him on the field a handful of times before the season is finished.

In all likelihood he remains a fringe player, but if they had zero intention of using him he wouldn't be listed in that 25. 

Surprised to get minutes, absolutely - given context.

Surprised at his performances leading to minutes - not all that surprised.

As a guy who was arguing laryea is a bit one dimensional, I think he isn't that far from cleaning up some elements of his game.
-He can probably handle one v one defending vs most prem players except the elite ones.... who doesnt struggle vs salah etc. 
-His ball progression and retention should be ok in his half. It'll be interesting to see what happens as you usually get much less space and time in the attacking half... can he handle the higher tempo?
- I think he will need to clean things up tactically. Part of which can be coached, and part of it is soccer IQ and the speed of seeing/implementing things. 
- He also will need to broaden his attacking arsenal. He won't get nearly the same success cutting down the line in the prem as he does in MLS. Both because defenders will be better 1v1 and also there will be fewer times in a game where he can exploit space left by the opposing fullback. 

Unnamedd trialist talks about staq needing to refine himself to reach the next level as opposed to being all action. I think a similar approach for laryea could help him. 

16 minutes ago, El Diego said:

u21s don't need to be registered, so guys like Gvardiol, Doku, Bobb, and Lewis don't count toward to the 25. I imagine if Laryea were (somehow) on the books at Man City right now that he would be part of the 25.

City only named 18 though. I think I am missing your point here. Are you saying that Laryea on the forest 25 doesn't mean much because they have important U-21 players, who will surely play (Reyna for instance), that are not listed?

If that's what you are getting at, I don't see how that changes this:

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

if they had zero intention of using him he wouldn't be listed in that 25. 

And by extension this:

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

So maybe the pool of City is not 18...its 18 plus Doku, Bobb, Lewis, and Garvidol.

So, it's 24 and not 18, but same scenario.

Bigger squad for Forest than City perhaps means they are still figuring out who is important? They do have a new coach after all, so that would make sense.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

City only named 18 though. I think I am missing your point here. Are you saying that Laryea on the forest 25 doesn't mean much because they have important U-21 players, who will surely play (Reyna for instance), that are not listed?

If that's what you are getting at, I don't see how that changes this:

And by extension this:

So maybe the pool of City is not 18...its 18 plus Doku, Bobb, Lewis, and Garvidol.

So, it's 24 and not 18, but same scenario.

Bigger squad for Forest than City perhaps means they are still figuring out who is important? They do have a new coach after all, so that would make sense.

I mean that there is no downside to Forest naming Laryea to their 25 -- there is no one else eligible to take that spot (save for Arter, but he's been iced out of the club for a while now).

With Man City, their list is smaller because they straight up have less players over 21 who are under contract at the club. They quite literally cannot put anyone else on the list. I think Forest have a full 25 mainly due to bad squad building and therefore they have lots of senior players that aren't useful.

As I said earlier, naming him is better than not. I hope it does mean something for Richie, and like you I have some faith he may force the manager's hand, but he is fighting a very uphill battle joining mid-season.

42 minutes ago, El Diego said:

That certainly is part of it. Man City can buy many of the best young players in the world (Lewis being only one of those they didn't transfer in).  If they are not good enough when they start the season over 21, they can sell for a decent return/loss and can replace them. Most other teams have less ability to do that, obviously.  But even counting them, I still don't think they have used a full compliment of 25 this year in the league. So part of it is still down to who the manager trusts.

49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Forest is hard to read in that way for me because of their shot gun approach to transfers (especially when they got that TV money), lots of quantity hoping to hit something. 

Overall, English players are expensive for non-mega rich clubs so filling those 8 homegrown spots is hard unless you are managing your academy very well and get lucky honestly.  For the mega-rich they are just buying from the best and see Man City above.  

That Richie is on their list is good thing if Europe is where he wants to play, it is the biggest stage for any cameos.  I still don't like the way the club is run, so I'm not holding my breath.  But stranger things have happened than him getting some chance and showing what he can do. 

6 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Most teams fill from the under 21s because you can only have 17 non- homegrown on the 25 and in the cut throat world of Premiership, getting those 8 homegrown is difficult, apparently.

Here's hoping he gets some shots and makes himself a move to a better situation.

Official lists:

The point is that better to be there, because the team is not exactly excelling with what it has. 

Then, the coach is new, perhaps does not have the biases carried over from the Championship, and needs results.

Then you get injuries. Then game situations. 

Then the club says hey, we are paying this guy. We can't loan him out, so let's make sure his value is upheld (club message to manager: there is nothing stopping you from playing him if you see the need).

30 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The point is that better to be there, because the team is not exactly excelling with what it has. 

Then, the coach is new, perhaps does not have the biases carried over from the Championship, and needs results.

Then you get injuries. Then game situations. 

Then the club says hey, we are paying this guy. We can't loan him out, so let's make sure his value is upheld (club message to manager: there is nothing stopping you from playing him if you see the need).

Playing is always better than not playing for our national players.  I hope he gets a chance, being in the 25 increases that chance from 0%.  Just pointing out that many in squads less than 25 don't get chances, let alone those in full squads. 

But as I said other posts, it is the best place to be (bar Champions League) to get those chances noticed if they come. 

Excelling is relative.  They had no business getting promoted but because of a very good manager and a great run, they did.  They are 2 points above relegation which excels where I think they should be, considering their crazy transfer activity.  They saw a short new manager bump but have settled back down and they are going into a tough run of fixtures (West Ham aside) if I recall.  I guess we will see. 

To your last sentence, nothing I have seen from Forest since they came up that says to me that upholding player value is anywhere close being a part of their transfer "strategy."  Not sure that logic applies. 

Out of curiosity, would Richie effectively playing out his contract with NF help him out post-retirement with his pension? IIRC in the North American leagues your pension is decided by how long you’re contracted in the league. I think when all is said and done, Richie will have been contracted in the EFL/EPL for 3 years. I believe there’s an NBA player who is trying to get a short term contract for a few games as that’s what he’s missing before qualifying for the NBA pension. Wonder if Richie is in a similar situation.