Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

1 hour ago, Shway said:

What about Farsi? What are the chances he commits?

I feel the chances he commits to Canada have increased.

He didn't go to Ligue 1 and didn't go to the middle east. He's back with Columbus as far as I understand. What does he have to do to increase his stock coming off a title winning season? Be an All Star? Win more silverware? I think Columbus will be strong once again, but I don't see them repeating and if they don't win a trophy, that's a down season. And without Columbus improving on last season, I feel that Farsi in turn is not going to raise his stock much further. That's my wishful thinking, I guess.

It's different for a forward like Russel-Rowe, who will be judged on his goals and goal contributions. Columbus can have a down year and statistically, Jacen can have a much improved year and gain more exposure. 

I do hope Farsi commits. Maybe we even see him in March. I doubt it, but one can hope. 

If he does commit, I feel it'll be due to fading Algeria interest. He's in his mid-20s and players often don't want to wait too long, especially with the World Cup around the corner. 

21 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Getting paid?

Is it necessary to show up to get paid? I mean, that's just more expenses for NF if they have to fly in and lodge a player and their family especially when that player won't play. Not like NF is short on disposable cash and I'm sure it does have something to do with all of this, but just seems like a useless way of doing things.

Edited by InglewoodJack

21 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is it necessary to show up to get paid? I mean, that's just more expenses for NF if they have to fly in and lodge a player and their family especially when that player won't play. Not like NF is short on disposable cash and I'm sure it does have something to do with all of this, but just seems like a useless way of doing things.

Laryea wants to be paid and I am guessing that to do so, there may be a stipulation in his contract where he needs to be there, who really know?

To me, much of this goes back to whether or not both parties want to agree to a mutual termination and then they both move on.

52 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I feel the chances he commits to Canada have increased.

He didn't go to Ligue 1 and didn't go to the middle east. He's back with Columbus as far as I understand. What does he have to do to increase his stock coming off a title winning season? Be an All Star? Win more silverware? I think Columbus will be strong once again, but I don't see them repeating and if they don't win a trophy, that's a down season. And without Columbus improving on last season, I feel that Farsi in turn is not going to raise his stock much further. That's my wishful thinking, I guess.

It's different for a forward like Russel-Rowe, who will be judged on his goals and goal contributions. Columbus can have a down year and statistically, Jacen can have a much improved year and gain more exposure. 

I do hope Farsi commits. Maybe we even see him in March. I doubt it, but one can hope. 

If he does commit, I feel it'll be due to fading Algeria interest. He's in his mid-20s and players often don't want to wait too long, especially with the World Cup around the corner. 

Have you seen Algeria performance at the Africa Cup of Nations? Must feel very patriotic to go with them.

On 2/19/2024 at 5:31 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

Godinho is a fit depth option. Even if Johnston is out I think we’ll be fine with Buchanan, Laryea and Godinho in the squad 

LDF is another RB option. 

We don’t need to worry about this position.

Raposo over Godinho all day for me. Godinho has played all of 58 minutes in 2024, in a weaker league, and is an overall downgrade defensively unless his game has significantly changed since 2022. Dude was competing for minutes against pylons in what was a terrible Vancouver defence, and still looked bad by comparison. Caps fans were not sad to see him go.

7 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Raposo over Godinho all day for me. Godinho has played all of 58 minutes in 2024, in a weaker league, and is an overall downgrade defensively unless his game has significantly changed since 2022. Dude was competing for minutes against pylons in what was a terrible Vancouver defence, and still looked bad by comparison. Caps fans were not sad to see him go.

I'd go with ZBG before Godinho... 

17 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Raposo has been quietly improving year after year

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

Comfort, familiarity, and stability. 
But someone will say he's stupid and should've stayed to fight at Forrest. 

Yeah, that was tongue in cheek. Red Star is a good club and Belgrade is a cool city, but obviously getting to live in your hometown with your family is a much better deal. Seems like it was obvious that TFC was the best fit for months now, so good that this is all wrapped up.

Wish that move to Forrest came 6 months earlier- I think he could’ve cracked the squad and stayed with them through promotion or at least gotten a loan to another championship team. tough situation, but now he’ll at least be guaranteed playing time for the foreseeable future.

Shame for Kobe Franklin though. Was looking forward to seeing him with another year as a starter under his belt. 

Lastly mental fortitude is huge, and I keep reading about how players struggled to assimilate with this at so and so move. We as fans think it's a blessing to be a professional footballer (and it is) but they are still humans who have to make choices that are good for their life.

....I saw this video last night, and as tough as I like to be it brought a tear to my eye. It reminded me that somethings are not always as they seem. 

40 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Turned down the move to red star to go back to Toronto? Were the lights of Belgrade too bright for Richie?

Nice move, glad this saga is over with. 

Away games in Novi Pazar and Subotica or New York and LA. Doubt it was that difficult a decision to return to his home city.

I am generally not a fan of our guys moving to TFC right now (at least until Herdman demonstrates his ability to right the ship) but for Richie I have to concede that it feels right.  Would have been great to secure an upwardly mobile European move, but for anything comparable to MLS, I think TFC is great choice.  I suspect we will see him excel once again in familiar surroundings.  My only concern is with Bern and Insigne already there on the wings, the addition of Richie starts to congest the wide positions at a time when I was hoping to see more, not less, of JMR (given that is where TFC seem to see his role).  Maybe it gives some incentive to try him more centrally in midfield, but the cynic in me thinks it will result in less playing time.     

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, that was tongue in cheek. Red Star is a good club and Belgrade is a cool city, but obviously getting to live in your hometown with your family is a much better deal. Seems like it was obvious that TFC was the best fit for months now, so good that this is all wrapped up.

Wish that move to Forrest came 6 months earlier- I think he could’ve cracked the squad and stayed with them through promotion or at least gotten a loan to another championship team. tough situation, but now he’ll at least be guaranteed playing time for the foreseeable future.

Shame for Kobe Franklin though. Was looking forward to seeing him with another year as a starter under his belt. 

Yeah that’s rough for Franklin but we’ll see what Herdman does. Laryea is a bit of a Swiss Army knife and maybe with some more time at club level he re-explores that Mezzala role he tried with Canada. 

Franklin still needs time to improve and still young , he really only got all those minutes because they had no choice but to play him. Moreover , he was thrown in there under crazy circumstances with the whole shit show that was TFC last season . They needed Laryea , they really couldn’t go into the season relying on Franklin as their starter at that position not yet . I think he will be ok under Herdman and will be given the opportunity to grow .

Seemed NF were going to get a haircut so not surprising from that perspective and glad TFC benefitted in the end.

At the same time, what a bunch of turmoil for nothing, eh? Gets sold to Forest, helps them promote, gets loaned back to TFC and then Vancouver, then returns to Forest only to get sold back to TFC? It was all so unesessary in retrospect. He could have just stayed in Toronto the whole time.

I respect that he gave Europe a go, but disappointed he didn't take the Red Star deal, although I get the allure of returning home and putting an end to the whole ordeal. Must be nice to finally have the stability, but again it's kind of ironic to go through it all only to rediscover what you had all along.

I am sure he'll always hold fond memories of that promotion clinching run. Aside from that, probably it's two forgettable years. 

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah that’s rough for Franklin but we’ll see what Herdman does. Laryea is a bit of a Swiss Army knife and maybe with some more time at club level he re-explores that Mezzala role he tried with Canada. 

I’m not too worried, Herdman will cook something up. Hell, Franklin might end up a CM by the fall.