Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Would you say the same about Johnston at Celtic? If so you have an argument. Pretty much the same situation. 

Yup, I do say that about Celtic, PSG and Juve when they had like 8 cups in a row and no competition in Serie A.  PSG will never win Champions League, Ligue 1 is too weak and does not offer enough challenge and competition to learn and sharpen themselves. 

Red Star dominates he Serbian league.  Historically, one team gives them competition, and there is a a massive gap to the 3rd and 4th teams, and the rest are literally not even in the same league.  Playing on a great team is only half of becoming a great player, playing vs great opponents is equally important.  Opta has great stats for comparing leagues, Comparing Serbia to MLS is an eye openner.  

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Seriously? By far the most likely reason for Borjan's blunders are his goalkeeping abilities and not the league he plays in. As a goalkeeper if the centre forward is past the last defender and straight in on goal you inherently have a challenge on your hands regardless.

The only angle you could perhaps point to is that as Red Star's goalkeeper the club is so dominant in that league that he's not called into action as often as he might be if he were playing for a smaller club. Doesn't stop goalkeepers from top clubs getting selected for their national teams though.

Back in the day East Germany had their goalkeeper Jurgen Croy playing for his local club Sachsenring Zwickau rather than one of the top teams at the time like Dynamo Dresden so he stayed as sharp as possible. Difficult to do that once you have a free market system and freedom of contract.

Sure, it doesn't stop them from playing for the national teams, but healthy competition is also really important.  My thing with Borjan is... even at this best, he was never very focused and good for 1-2 blunders a game.  Now if that comes down to his style and personality or just not being tuned up as well as some other pros we'll never know.  But the point remains, Red Star have had it very easy the past decade while Borjan was there, the league was not very competitive.  I'd prefer to see Laryea at Championship level.

Just for added context, the transfer window for the incoming team is what matters.

As an FYI the MLS window closes on April 23 (and the summer window is July 18 to August 14).

I just don't understand why they are taking forever to settle this.

Has he actually trained with NF at all?

Sounds like Red Star would pick him up on loan, but probably were not willing to pay the full salary, just a part. As is usual in these cases.

Remember Borjan was making half a million euros there, and Richie must be at least 50% higher than that at Forest. 

Probably, given the salary structures, going to the top of Serbia is not the right option. 

Just now, Ivan said:

Wow.  Livescore doesn't even have him in their 18!

That is why I am holding off.  The NF site could just glean content from a platform that specializes in match-tracking.   And there is clear disagreement among those.   It could be as simple as someone entering the wrong number into one platform.