Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

4 hours ago, Shway said:

I hope someway, somehow he ends back at TFC. Seeing Richie in the Vancouver kit just didn't seem right. Same thing for Junior as well.

No chance of it happening. TFC can’t afford Richie and the fee that Nottingham Forest would be looking for. I can guarantee you some MLS team will pay Nottingham and sign him permanently.

https://theprovince.com/sports/whitecaps-the-richie-laryea-experiment-in-vancouver-is-over/wcm/7844681b-1318-49b7-ac3f-5aa7dbdb630a/amp/

Edited by anthony7

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think it's a case of it still being relatively early in the window, and Forest wanting to see if they can get something for him first. If they have to take the loss, then MLS becomes an option again. But the Whitecaps start the Champions Cup in early February, so they can't wait (but could definitely revisit). 

That would be my best guess.  The MLS option to dump his salary may be pretty narrow though (if that's what they're looking to do).  If NF rate him at any level it may be good insurance to have him available though.

Not sure if Richie is open to another loan, especially if it's overseas.  

2 hours ago, anthony7 said:

No chance of it happening. TFC can’t afford Richie and the fee that Nottingham Forest would be looking for. I can guarantee you some MLS team will pay Nottingham and sign him permanently.

https://theprovince.com/sports/whitecaps-the-richie-laryea-experiment-in-vancouver-is-over/wcm/7844681b-1318-49b7-ac3f-5aa7dbdb630a/amp/

I don't think Richie is worth a DP slot. As much as I rate him, you just don't see DP slots used on fullbacks.
However, there could be a possibility that he could be a TAM player which is dependent on the transfer fee and his salary.

I think what eventually ends up happening is that he is loaned out again to whoever can fit his salary....and that team will be the Whitecaps after the transfer window and AFCON is finished. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I don't think Richie is worth a DP slot. As much as I rate him, you just don't see DP slots used on fullbacks.
However, there could be a possibility that he could be a TAM player which is dependent on the transfer fee and his salary.

I think what eventually ends up happening is that he is loaned out again to whoever can fit his salary....and that team will be the Whitecaps after the transfer window and AFCON is finished. 

No one is going to waste a DP spot on Richie. He is a max TAM player. 1.6 million is DP money. Danny Kovermans made the same amount at TFC so Richie’s salary/player label won’t be an issue. With all the roster clearing out that is happening, there will be a team in MLS who will be able to pay Nottingham what they want to get Richie permanently. The guy is highly rated in the league and is arguably the best fullback in MLS. Now, during this offseason break, you don’t there are teams pulling some strings to get the deal over the line? Bro, it’s a no brainer. TFC fumbled this one and will regret this big time. TFC will only get older and slower.

Edited by anthony7

Richie, come on. Have your agent communicate to NF you are returning and will train with them. They can't refuse, you have the right to train while they work out any sort of loan deal. 

Sorry, but I am perturbed that he has not chosen to go all in on this opportunity. I mean, it is not like he's going to prefer to be in most MLS cities.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Richie, come on. Have your agent communicate to NF you are returning and will train with them. They can't refuse, you have the right to train while they work out any sort of loan deal. 

Sorry, but I am perturbed that he has not chosen to go all in on this opportunity. I mean, it is not like he's going to prefer to be in most MLS cities.

I was thinking he should probably try to get out of his contract completely. Get paid out and released on a free 

39 minutes ago, narduch said:

I was thinking he should probably try to get out of his contract completely. Get paid out and released on a free 

I think it's very unlikely he gets "paid out". They could agree to mutually terminate his contract to make him  free to sign anywhere, but he wouldn't get paid.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Why, though? Instead of negotiating a new one entirely, risking losing salary, stick with the one you have. And try to make the team. 

I just don't get it. So many cases we have seen where a guy is not in the mix, does not get minutes, refuses a loan, and ends up playing. There are injuries, cards, stress of results, all work together to give opportunities. And the coach is has no bias against him, why not take a look at the player and see if you can work him into the team. And if not, you shop him for a loan if he agrees, but as a player training, part of an EPL team. Which means it is far easier to draw interest, and far easier to get the receiving club to pay the full salary and not just a part.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Which means it is far easier to draw interest, and far easier to get the receiving club to pay the full salary and not just a part.

I think it's actually very difficult to get receiving clubs to pay the full salary right now, unless it's another English club. The wages there are just hyperinflated compared to most countries and clubs across Europe that even if a continental club likes the player it's very difficult for them to take a player on at full cost.  It's why we saw more of the "big 6" selling to each other this past summer (or to Saudi Arabia), because other clubs simply couldn't afford it.

Having said that, I agree that even being back training with a PL club would be enough to at least put him on some clubs radar, and make a potential loan/sale easier (even if Forest has to eat some of the cost).

Edited by Watchmen

@Bigandy moving our debate to the Richie thread as to not clutter the Colyn thread.

"Your rubric is correct and I agree. However, I dont see richie as a guy who gets all B's or gets all B's with 1 A. 

Richie is an A in athleticism. Hes an A in alot of other areas as well, but hes also a C in some areas. He's not particularly good at crossing, His tactical acumen isnt tremendous, etc. His A in athleticism covers up his C's. For example, he runs into the box and crosses along the ground for a simple tap in. Not a particularly good cross but his speed gets him behind the defensive line so he doesnt have to put in a whipped cross from 30 yards out. Take away his A in speed and he's going to be forced to cross the ball earlier and deeper which will expose his C level crossing. 

Essentially, if you take away richies A in athleticism, is he going to exhibit B's in all areas or will losing his A expose his C's that were being covered up by his A's. 

Why was he not succesful in midfield? Its pretty clear that to maximize richie, you need him out wide. You maximize his speed and hes just not cut out to play CM. He doesnt read the game well enough in a 360 environment. When he has the line to cut the play to 180, hes fantastic. 

we can disagree if richies A covers up his C's or if hes all B's with 1ish As. 

Then the next part of the debate is - an A in MLS might only be a C in the prem. So when I use A's and C's for richie, Im using your metaphor to show A is top, B is meeting the standard and C is below standard. tight margins as all footballers are proficient in pretty much all areas. "

I suspected we differ in how we view Laryea, so I am glad you picked up on the analogy and brought up these points. 

1. The one thing which stands out to me right away is his crossing being a "C".

For me, his crossing is as good as Tajon's, which is to say it is not terrible but could use some improvement. Over the years Laryea has put in some very good balls into the box, mostly on the ground. Very different from someone like Adekugbe, who tends to whip balls into the box and in the air. Laryea by comparison seems to perfer to slide passes into the path of a forward, if you know what I mean. Maybe we don't even consider those crosses? 

Second point on his crossing - yes if he's forced to cross the ball earlier it will expose his C level crossing, but this is like forcing Eustaquio to play with his left foot to expose his deficency. If we are playing that game then let's be consistent and apply evenly.

Let's highlight how Staq cannot pass, shoot or dribble with his left foot. Let's also highlight how Staq cannot dibble players, period. Let's highlight how Staq has mediocre speed. Already the list of limitations in Staq's game is longer than Laryea's, even though Stef is so effective at what he does well that overall he's far more important to Canada and irreplacable. 

2. The second thing which stands out in your post is the assertion that Laryea failed at CM. I don't see it this way at all, personally. I think TFC had a need in the full back area at the right time for Richie, and they didn't have a need in the midfield, so they plugged that hole with Laryea and the rest is history. The case of Laryea at Orlando is common: Club fails to see value in player and one clubs trash ends up being another's tressure. 

For me, Laryea could play CM for us tomorrow. He's that versitle. Wasn't there a game last year for Canada where he was taking up positions in the middle of the field? I seem to recall that. In any case, this point of whether Laryea could play CM may be contentious without actually seeing him playing a few 90s in CM. Not long ago the One Soccer guys were talking about Richie (and Johnston) as potential stop gaps in midfield for us, so I am not the only one who sees it. I cannot find the specific video, unfortunately. 

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

@Bigandy moving our debate to the Richie thread as to not clutter the Colyn thread.

"Your rubric is correct and I agree. However, I dont see richie as a guy who gets all B's or gets all B's with 1 A. 

Richie is an A in athleticism. Hes an A in alot of other areas as well, but hes also a C in some areas. He's not particularly good at crossing, His tactical acumen isnt tremendous, etc. His A in athleticism covers up his C's. For example, he runs into the box and crosses along the ground for a simple tap in. Not a particularly good cross but his speed gets him behind the defensive line so he doesnt have to put in a whipped cross from 30 yards out. Take away his A in speed and he's going to be forced to cross the ball earlier and deeper which will expose his C level crossing. 

Essentially, if you take away richies A in athleticism, is he going to exhibit B's in all areas or will losing his A expose his C's that were being covered up by his A's. 

Why was he not succesful in midfield? Its pretty clear that to maximize richie, you need him out wide. You maximize his speed and hes just not cut out to play CM. He doesnt read the game well enough in a 360 environment. When he has the line to cut the play to 180, hes fantastic. 

we can disagree if richies A covers up his C's or if hes all B's with 1ish As. 

Then the next part of the debate is - an A in MLS might only be a C in the prem. So when I use A's and C's for richie, Im using your metaphor to show A is top, B is meeting the standard and C is below standard. tight margins as all footballers are proficient in pretty much all areas. "

I suspected we differ in how we view Laryea, so I am glad you picked up on the analogy and brought up these points. 

1. The one thing which stands out to me right away is his crossing being a "C".

For me, his crossing is as good as Tajon's, which is to say it is not terrible but could use some improvement. Over the years Laryea has put in some very good balls into the box, mostly on the ground. Very different from someone like Adekugbe, who tends to whip balls into the box and in the air. Laryea by comparison seems to perfer to slide passes into the path of a forward, if you know what I mean. Maybe we don't even consider those crosses? 

Second point on his crossing - yes if he's forced to cross the ball earlier it will expose his C level crossing, but this is like forcing Eustaquio to play with his left foot to expose his deficency. If we are playing that game then let's be consistent and apply evenly.

Let's highlight how Staq cannot pass, shoot or dribble with his left foot. Let's also highlight how Staq cannot dibble players, period. Let's highlight how Staq has mediocre speed. Already the list of limitations in Staq's game is longer than Laryea's, even though Stef is so effective at what he does well that overall he's far more important to Canada and irreplacable. 

2. The second thing which stands out in your post is the assertion that Laryea failed at CM. I don't see it this way at all, personally. I think TFC had a need in the full back area at the right time for Richie, and they didn't have a need in the midfield, so they plugged that hole with Laryea and the rest is history. The case of Laryea at Orlando is common: Club fails to see value in player and one clubs trash ends up being another's tressure. 

For me, Laryea could play CM for us tomorrow. He's that versitle. Wasn't there a game last year for Canada where he was taking up positions in the middle of the field? I seem to recall that. In any case, this point of whether Laryea could play CM may be contentious without actually seeing him playing a few 90s in CM. Not long ago the One Soccer guys were talking about Richie (and Johnston) as potential stop gaps in midfield for us, so I am not the only one who sees it. I cannot find the specific video, unfortunately. 

1. I think we both agree. Laryea puts dangerous balls in the box despite not being a very good crosser. What makes those balls dangerous is the position and space he gets into, due to his speed. It's awesome but its one dimensional.  

2. It feels like your justifying laryea as a complete player by saying that staq has deficiencies as well.  Staq has shortcomings and isnt complete. All of your arguments for staq are pretty similar criticisms of kroos, yet kroos is one of the most complete CM in the world. (not saying staq is at that level). But they can pass, shoot, defend, deliver set pieces, set tempo, make everyone around them better, get past players (thru movement off the ball and first touches). We can take it further, they can pass short, one touch, long switches, outside the boot. They can play thru balls on the ground or in the air. The crossing can be driven, lofted, or whipped. And the list goes on. Now obviously laryea can do alot of these things, but can he do them to the same quality and consistency as staq? no and hes a long ways off kroos. 

But yes, staq isnt complete and if we do an apples to apples with laryea then the outcome is that neither are complete.

3. Sure, richie could likely play CM for CMNT over fraser. The bar wasnt very high before kone came in and to be honest, its still not that high with choiniere, bombito and Ali being our only newish options at cm. However, a national team with weak depth speaks more to a lack of options than richies ability to succeed as a CM. (bombito at CDM proves this point). 

4. If you watch a staq highlight vid, you seem goals from a header, set piece, late runs in the box. You see set piece assists, long ball assists, little dink assists, crossing assists and perfectly weighted little touches behind the opponent asssist, as well as lots of defensive highlights. If you watch richies highlights, they are 85% him running down the wing and cutting it back for an assist or goal. Youll see him pounce on some loose balls in the area to score and youll see him track down a winger and put in a challenge. All 3 plays are very very reliant on being faster than the opponent. 

Heres one example. He's fantastic at it. His finishing and sweats across the box are great.....but its one dimensional. 

One dimensional is a fair way to describe Laryea's game at the moment. At the same time, he's very versitle for a team the level of Canada, or a team in MLS. He's played left back, right back, left mid, right mid, left forward, right forward, and center back, and that doesn't include playing center midfield for Orlando City B. So, it's a bit of an odd, if not unique thing to be capable in so many positions, despite being labelled as a one-trick pony, which I actually agree with. 

The whole reason I brought up Staq was because the discussion in the Colyn thread mentioned him as the most complete Canadian player. That's when I tossed Richie's name in the ring as sort of a contrarian pick for most complete player. Why contrarian? Because he does have that one dimensionality to him. BUT as I went through my checklist I realized Richie does a lot of things well. Can shoot, pass, and dribble with both feet (a rarity), is obviously fast and agile, can obviously play at both ends of the field, can get stuck into a tackle, can finish off plays, can draw fouls, can play in a multitude of positions, has very good close control and a solid first touch. I don't want to keep harping on it, but it's true there aren't many things he's terrible at. Even whipping in crosses he's not terrible. He's done it a few times to perfection. Remember the Tajon header in the 4-1 Panama win at BMO? That was Laryea's cross. 

So long story short, was not trying to rag on Staq, but rather challenge the idea of him being the most complete when there are many things he doesn't do well or do at all, which again we have already discussed. It wouldn't be right though for me not to say that he's the most complete midfielder we have, possibly the most complete midfielder in CONCACAF (with McKennie maybe). I like the Kroos example of a complete midfielder and the comparison to Staq (obviously to a lower level).

Often I think of CMs as complete or well-rounded players because they are midfielders and so they contribute at both ends, far more than a forward or defender. That's a common way to look at it. Few times will you find forwards, defenders, or wingers being labled as complete players. But I don't know, I think positional flexibility was a worthy gauge of how well-rounded a player is too.

I would say Kimmich is more well rounded than Kroos because he's done it at right back and midfield, unlike Kroos, so that tips the scales toward Kimmich IMO.

On 1/12/2024 at 12:08 PM, Obinna said:

One dimensional is a fair way to describe Laryea's game at the moment. At the same time, he's very versitle for a team the level of Canada, or a team in MLS. He's played left back, right back, left mid, right mid, left forward, right forward, and center back, and that doesn't include playing center midfield for Orlando City B. So, it's a bit of an odd, if not unique thing to be capable in so many positions, despite being labelled as a one-trick pony, which I actually agree with. 

The whole reason I brought up Staq was because the discussion in the Colyn thread mentioned him as the most complete Canadian player. That's when I tossed Richie's name in the ring as sort of a contrarian pick for most complete player. Why contrarian? Because he does have that one dimensionality to him. BUT as I went through my checklist I realized Richie does a lot of things well. Can shoot, pass, and dribble with both feet (a rarity), is obviously fast and agile, can obviously play at both ends of the field, can get stuck into a tackle, can finish off plays, can draw fouls, can play in a multitude of positions, has very good close control and a solid first touch. I don't want to keep harping on it, but it's true there aren't many things he's terrible at. Even whipping in crosses he's not terrible. He's done it a few times to perfection. Remember the Tajon header in the 4-1 Panama win at BMO? That was Laryea's cross. 

So long story short, was not trying to rag on Staq, but rather challenge the idea of him being the most complete when there are many things he doesn't do well or do at all, which again we have already discussed. It wouldn't be right though for me not to say that he's the most complete midfielder we have, possibly the most complete midfielder in CONCACAF (with McKennie maybe). I like the Kroos example of a complete midfielder and the comparison to Staq (obviously to a lower level).

Often I think of CMs as complete or well-rounded players because they are midfielders and so they contribute at both ends, far more than a forward or defender. That's a common way to look at it. Few times will you find forwards, defenders, or wingers being labled as complete players. But I don't know, I think positional flexibility was a worthy gauge of how well-rounded a player is too.

I would say Kimmich is more well rounded than Kroos because he's done it at right back and midfield, unlike Kroos, so that tips the scales toward Kimmich IMO.

I think you make some excellent points but a lot of it is a bit academic. A simple checklist lacks nuance. You can be fast but not first to the ball. You can be strong but have a bad center of gravity. What about where you preform your passes. In midfield you have a 360 field and less time on the ball. A full back can drop deeper to gain more time. Would laryea be as strong on his weak foot under more pressure? I'm not sure but a simple checklist won't account for these types of things (or include any weight on how valuable being 2 footed is etc). 

If you take adama traore he can play winger, wingback, fullback and striker but isn't a footballer... hes just an athlete. Does being versatile speak to his completeness or just to his athleticism. Dirk kuyt played all over the pitch but gets by on sheer workrate, not talent. 

Great points on staq not being complete. I 100% see your point. Richie is also above the MLS level (or at least top end) so it makes sense hes good enough in all categories to be considered well rounded. I just think at the next level, he's only able to play fullback. He'd get exposed at cb and isnt good enough going forward to consistently play as a winger. Theres no chance he could play CM at the next level. So is he really versatile or just a big fish in a small pond....

The thing with being a complete player is that it also has a lot to do with the league the guy is playing in. Very few players available to MLS clubs can do more than Laryea and do it on his level. On the other hand, if an MLS team was somehow able to sign Davies as a wingback for whatever reason, he’d give you everything Laryea could, but better, and probably give you 15 goals and 8 assists as well. Hell, put Eustaquio in MLS and he’d look twice as good too. 

Based on how players perform in the league they’re currently in, I think Laryea is our most complete player. 18 months from now, I think it’ll unquestionably be Kone. Once he really figures out how to put everything together, there will be very little he wouldn’t be able to do. I think Kone was a striker before he went to Montreal (at least that’s what my local newspaper article about him at 16 said), and I think in a weaker league, he could still make it work as a CF. 

58 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Richie is also above the MLS level (or at least top end) so it makes sense hes good enough in all categories to be considered well rounded. I just think at the next level, he's only able to play fullback.

So is he really versatile or just a big fish in a small pond....

43 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

The thing with being a complete player is that it also has a lot to do with the league the guy is playing in. Very few players available to MLS clubs can do more than Laryea and do it on his level. 

Based on how players perform in the league they’re currently in, I think Laryea is our most complete player. 

I agree with you both 👍

Got to take into account the level. That probably shouldn't have gone without saying, so I do acknowledge that. Great point.

58 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I think you make some excellent points but a lot of it is a bit academic. A simple checklist lacks nuance. You can be fast but not first to the ball. You can be strong but have a bad center of gravity. What about where you preform your passes. In midfield you have a 360 field and less time on the ball. A full back can drop deeper to gain more time. Would laryea be as strong on his weak foot under more pressure? I'm not sure but a simple checklist won't account for these types of things (or include any weight on how valuable being 2 footed is etc). 

This is where it becomes theoretical and a matter of opinion based on our view of what the player is good at. We can only consider what we observe and then apply it to that situation and then speculate.

For me I think he can do these things more than we think, but again who's to say. I take that opinion based on what I see and factor in his experience playing CM at a lower level.

Ultimately I don't see him ever playing CM at a high level but for the national team I believe he can do a job there in a pinch, if we are stuck or looking for a rotational player in there, but for club if he wants to play at a level higher than MLS, such as the Championship, it's going to be at fullback I believe.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

This is where it becomes theoretical and a matter of opinion based on our view of what the player is good at. We can only consider what we observe and then apply it to that situation and then speculate.

For me I think he can do these things more than we think, but again who's to say. I take that opinion based on what I see and factor in his experience playing CM at a lower level.

I dont think he can do these things more than we think. If he could, we did his career almost flame out as a CM and it took a reinventing of himself at RB? Why did he not get a look in the championship (he could play lb if hes equally comfortable on both sides)? We can argue luck or nepotism etc etc. However, why is he so one dimensional in running down the line and cutting it back if he can do more. Surely he would be even more effective at the cutback if he also was finding pockets of space and playing intricate passing sequences. All the evidence I see is that his pace is vital to his play and I dont see any evidence that he can succeed at a higher level/tempo in a different position or with a broader skill set than we have seen. 

100% I could see him play CM for CMNT in a pinch. I hope it never comes to it but his energy could be very useful in a scrappy game. 

42 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I dont think he can do these things more than we think. If he could, we did his career almost flame out as a CM and it took a reinventing of himself at RB? 

Because Orlando were short-sighted and released him prematurely (have seen Orlando fans say that online) and Toronto were stocked with CMs already. He didn't reinvent himself and ask to be played at fullback, far as I recall. I believe it was Toronto who chose to plug him into the position because they needed depth there. Lucky for him and the club it worked out better than either could have imagined.

IWhy did he not get a look in the championship (he could play lb if hes equally comfortable on both sides)? 

Because he joined Forest during a massive winning streak which saw them get promoted against all odds and during that run they were reluctant to change a winning formula.

However, why is he so one dimensional in running down the line and cutting it back if he can do more. . 

Because he is excellent at doing so. This seems obvious to me. 

All the evidence I see is that his pace is vital to his play and I dont see any evidence that he can succeed at a higher level/tempo in a different position or with a broader skill set than we have seen. 

I agree. I think his ceiling is high Championship or lower EPL club because of his pace, agility, and craft. I am lauding his touch, close control, etc., but these aspects of his game are not world class, they are merely at the baseline for what it takes to be a high Championship or lower EPL player. It's the pace, agility and craft that make him attractive, but without the touch, close control, etc., he probably wouldn't have gotten the contract at Forest to begin with.

100% I could see him play CM for CMNT in a pinch. I hope it never comes to it but his energy could be very useful in a scrappy game. 

I mean, he's never going to be Pirlo, but I see more potential in him as a central player than you do, it seems. This reads as a backhanded compliment to me, as of to say only in the scrappy games could he be useful in that role. But it is what it is, we won't know until we see it in practice.

The best thing would be for Ahmed or Choniere to make the 3rd midfield position their own, because if we are shifting Laryea or Johnston it's because these guys haven't stepped up. 

Edited by Obinna

17 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Could Richie come to Vancouver on loan? Is that practical or desirable?

For me it'd be fine. Caps have Champions League this year and they finally have a solid core that puts them in the playoff picture, not outside it. They are reigning  champions of the domestic Cup and the strongest Canadian club at the moment. 

That said, I want to see him get another crack at Forest, or at least on loan in the Championship. Problem seems to be that Forest have been restricted from loaning players. Details may be somewhere up thread a few pages back.

Therefore a loan is not possible and a permanent transfer to MLS is not possible, unless Laryea accepts a massive pay cut. This is because the transfer fee, plus his salary, would make him unaffordable to MLS teams, since salary and fee are one in the same as far as MLS rules are concerned. Maybe an exception will be made, but as it stands now Laryea is stuck in limbo, not quite good enough for Forest (although maybe he could get a few games with players missing due to ACON), and unable to go out on loan, so most likely resolution could be a sale to somewhere like Mexico or elsewhere in Europe for the same fee Forest paid, which I think was around 1M (but don't quote me on that).

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Stoppage Time said:

Could Richie come to Vancouver on loan? Is that practical or desirable?

I think Vancouver already said it's not happening.

It appears MLS's stupid rules and NF wanted a transfer fee may end up making a move back here almost impossible