Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

3 hours ago, Shway said:

I hope with JH at TFC he comes back when this loan is finished. 

I wonder if the Caps fans are still not rating him.

It's funny, because I took a casual Whitecaps fan (but a big soccer fan, and one who's now signed up for season tickets for next year) and late in the game he turned to me and said he didn't understand the hype around Laryea.  That he seemed much better with Canada, but really wasn't anything special with the Whitecaps and was disappointed in his performance.  And this was AFTER he drew both penalties and had the nice cross for Ahmed's goal.  So I think there's definitely a disconnect between Caps fans (myself included) and everyone else.  Because the other play that stands out to me is the ball coming to him top of the 18 late in the game, with no one within 10 yards of him and he just....missed the ball.  Like it went past him for no discernable reason (from the stands).

Edited by Watchmen

On 10/22/2023 at 5:00 AM, Shway said:

I hope with JH at TFC he comes back when this loan is finished. 

I wonder if the Caps fans are still not rating him.

I thought all sides of his game were clicking this evening, but especially the shit housery side because he drew two penalties in crafty fashion.

However, I am not sure Herdman would be giving him the DP tag if he was available to return.

Edited by BearcatSA

• 2 weeks later...

Very un-Laryea game last night.  His touches were just totally off.  To me, it seems he hasn't mastered or even acclimatized to the turf bounces.  He was going one way and the ball the other at every touch.  He looked more frustrated than he usually does.  The turf affects players different ways, he seems like an extreme case.

42 minutes ago, costarg said:

Very un-Laryea game last night.  His touches were just totally off.  To me, it seems he hasn't mastered or even acclimatized to the turf bounces.  He was going one way and the ball the other at every touch.  He looked more frustrated than he usually does.  The turf affects players different ways, he seems like an extreme case.

The turf didn't seem to bother LAFC so yes, it clearly affects players in different ways.  In his first opportunity to receive a pass, Raposo let a ball bounce past him into touch.

16 hours ago, trc2014 said:

Does Laryea ever try to shoot vs seek a penalty? I’m so sick of it.

On the play early in the second half, if he had focussed less on trying to get a shot off while being two-hand shoved, and instead did his usual routine, he probably would have drawn a penalty. And it would have been the right play.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

The turf didn't seem to bother LAFC so yes, it clearly affects players in different ways.  In his first opportunity to receive a pass, Raposo let a ball bounce past him into touch.

It bounced over his head! I had a laugh at that as it summed things up nicely for the Caps last night. 

6 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I take it he played his last game for VWC?

Does his deal with Forrest end in January? At least he'll have a bit more ease to go find a new team if he's managing his own business. I'm sure TFC especially with Herdman will have a spot waiting for him.

Think he's still under contract to Forrest, which is why all the talk was of the Whitecaps buying him in the offseason. That's now a discussion to be had.

I get the sense Laryea would be better off trying to make a go of it in the Championship. It's fine if he stays with Vancouver (at the right price) or goes elsewhere in MLS, but unless he has a family reason why not go back to the UK? His parent club is there and (I would think) he should be able to find a gig somewhere over there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoilett’s layoff back to Laryea is underrated here as well. The pivot in a give and go is such a simple skill and yet not simple at speed. Has to be precise and it was. Also love that the move basically started and ended with Eustaquio. Easier to lay it off to Vitoria or Miller but he picked out Laryea with a great switch instead.