Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

Just now, El Diego said:

There was a challenge like 5-10 minutes later in the outer corner of the box, the Forest player clumsily going through the back of the Huddersfield player.

Personally I thought both were PKs, with the second incident being more of a foul than the first one, but I don't think not calling them was so egregious that match fixing should be suspected.

I can't speak to the second one, but in the first one the player was 100% playing for the contact. I only saw the highlights on youtube and I was stunned to see so many people arguing it was a clear penalty, so I re-watched it like 10 times and there's still no foul there for me. With that level of contact (basically none) what's the basis for calling a foul? To me it was no different than those skirmishes you see where one player brushes against another player, who then falls down like he was shot. The context was different (goal scoring action in the box), but the players reaction to the "contact" was the same.

I figured it was just biased Huddersfield fans in the comments, but I am aware of my own bias for Forest on this one (more of a Richie fan than anything), so I am very curious to hear the case of that being a foul, if you don't mind?

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I can't speak to the second one, but in the first one the player was 100% playing for the contact. I only saw the highlights on youtube and I was stunned to see so many people arguing it was a clear penalty, so I re-watched it like 10 times and there's still no foul there for me. With that level of contact (basically none) what's the basis for calling a foul? To me it was no different than those skirmishes you see where one player brushes against another player, who then falls down like he was shot. The context was different (goal scoring action in the box), but the players reaction to the "contact" was the same.

I figured it was just biased Huddersfield fans in the comments, but I am aware of my own bias for Forest on this one (more of a Richie fan than anything), so I am very curious to hear the case of that being a foul, if you don't mind?

I think the defender sticks out his leg into the path of the attacker, who doesn't initiate the contact (which so often happens on these shouts, think Jamie Vardy), and contact is made. I don't particularly care about the level of contact as long as there was some.

1 hour ago, footballfreak said:

Anyone who looks at that and says it’s not a penalty is living in a fantasy world. Where is the attackers right leg supposed to go?

Second incident is at 0:55. Less clear when viewed from the first angle, but the second and third angles are definitive.

The attackers leg is suppose to clearly go into the defenders shin. Then there'd be no debating it.

But as it was, he pulled out and I don't think contact is definitive at either of those angles. What I see is the defenders leg sticking out and the attacker moving his own leg to avoid it. Where it's debatable is whether there's actual contact and if that contact warrants a foul. The striker leaves just enough of his leg in to con the referee into thinking there's real contact and giving a foul. It would have been a clear cut pen if the striker never tried to pull his own leg out of the challenge.

Focus on seconds 2-4 of the first clip to see what I mean about the striker pulling his leg out. He's basically avoiding the challenge, while leaving enough of his leg in to make the slightest of contacts (which I am not convinced is even being made), then falling over theatrically as if there was real contact. 

I can accept the argument that any contact warrants a foul, no matter how slight, but neither of those angles shows definitive contact. It's murky at best. 

Edited by Obinna

4 minutes ago, shortofbrillant said:

Is there any consideration to the striker losing the ball. He pushed the ball past the degender but considering his path, he was never getting through the defender to reclaim the ball.

The striker has control of the ball in my view. Had the defender not been in his path, he would have maintained possession. So no, I don't think the striker losing the ball comes into play here. 

Does the Championship have VAR? I think its probably a PK but I can see why on first glance it wasn't given due to completely unnecessary hangtime in the air by the Huddersfield player - I think some Olympic long jumpers would be envious of this play. The attacker made a three-course meal out of it.

Edit- I see from the 2nd video they do have VAR. I guess the trouble is that the extra hang-time dive is more clear and obvious than the contact.

You'd never see Richie do that! ;)

Edited by Gian-Luca

6 hours ago, El Diego said:

I think the defender sticks out his leg into the path of the attacker, who doesn't initiate the contact (which so often happens on these shouts, think Jamie Vardy), and contact is made. I don't particularly care about the level of contact as long as there was some.

There is a level of contact that can be expected in football. Not all contact between opposing players is a foul. I could go either way on both of those decisions. In both cases, the Huddersfield players are definitely playing for the penalty, though, and when it's that obvious, it can count against you.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

There is a level of contact that can be expected in football. Not all contact between opposing players is a foul. I could go either way on both of those decisions. In both cases, the Huddersfield players are definitely playing for the penalty, though, and when it's that obvious, it can count against you.

Of course I have to agree that soccer is not a non-contact sport, what I was trying to say was that if you flick out a leg into the path of a runner then any contact is essentially a foul. For an extreme example of what I'm trying to say -- any punch contact (or no contact, in that case) should be a red, it's categorically different than say a shoulder barge. I also agree that the attacker's actions (specifically the afters) don't help him, but I don't think they should hurt him?

I know you've mentioned before that you've reffed at a pretty decent level -- do you think this one was a stonewall decision either way? I just started reffing (literally did my third game today, still stuck with 9 year olds :D)

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

Of course I have to agree that soccer is not a non-contact sport, what I was trying to say was that if you flick out a leg into the path of a runner then any contact is essentially a foul. For an extreme example of what I'm trying to say -- any punch contact (or no contact, in that case) should be a red, it's categorically different than say a shoulder barge. I also agree that the attacker's actions (specifically the afters) don't help him, but I don't think they should hurt him?

I know you've mentioned before that you've reffed at a pretty decent level -- do you think this one was a stonewall decision either way? I just started reffing (literally did my third game today, still stuck with 9 year olds :D)

I don't think either was stonewall just based on the short clips posted above. Both could have also been given, though. I've thought Jon Moss was a pretty bad referee for years, but I'd have to have watched much more of the match to see what other fouls were given/not given before I'd say he got either of those wrong. 

29 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I don't think either was stonewall just based on the short clips posted above. Both could have also been given, though. I've thought Jon Moss was a pretty bad referee for years, but I'd have to have watched much more of the match to see what other fouls were given/not given before I'd say he got either of those wrong. 

That's an important point. There's an element of consistency and a question of whether he adhered to it or not based on the threshold he set for himself from the beginning. I can say that in a vaccum I don't think it's a pen, but if he was blowing those down all game and let that go I would understand Huddersfield fans being upset.

Edited by Obinna

Hey guys,

Sorry i've taken so long since Sunday.  I've been celebrating somewhat.  That victory means so, so much to me and every other Forest fan.

We have been a top European club previously but for the last two decades, we have been average at best.  So to get back into the 'big time' is a big deal.

I know i've said it before, but for me, it's akin to Toronto Maple Leafs getting close to the cup again.  We have a brilliant history, but it's been a long time since the good times in Nottingham.

On Richie, he will have a battle to get a spot next season.  We really want to keep Spence, he has declared that he would like to stay, but it depending on how much Middlesborough want (£12-20m apparently).  If he we get him back, Richie likely has to accept a season as his back up, if not? who knows, although we would still need another RWB as there's 5 subs in the Prem and it's important you have 2 in each position.

Not sure on Richie's personal goals, but obviously playing at the World Cup will be vital to him.  As it stands, everything is up in the air.  But if he won't start regularly no-one will blame him for wanting a loan/move to make sure he's in the Canada squad and starting 11.

4 minutes ago, Red_Dog said:

Hey guys,

Sorry i've taken so long since Sunday.  I've been celebrating somewhat.  That victory means so, so much to me and every other Forest fan.

We have been a top European club previously but for the last two decades, we have been average at best.  So to get back into the 'big time' is a big deal.

I know i've said it before, but for me, it's akin to Toronto Maple Leafs getting close to the cup again.  We have a brilliant history, but it's been a long time since the good times in Nottingham.

On Richie, he will have a battle to get a spot next season.  We really want to keep Spence, he has declared that he would like to stay, but it depending on how much Middlesborough want (£12-20m apparently).  If he we get him back, Richie likely has to accept a season as his back up, if not? who knows, although we would still need another RWB as there's 5 subs in the Prem and it's important you have 2 in each position.

Not sure on Richie's personal goals, but obviously playing at the World Cup will be vital to him.  As it stands, everything is up in the air.  But if he won't start regularly no-one will blame him for wanting a loan/move to make sure he's in the Canada squad and starting 11.

Thanks for this and congrats on the promotion!

What do you think of Richie backing up Spence and Lowe, who I understand is closer to securing his Forest future than Spence is? Do you think Forest will want a dedicated LWB to back up Lowe (or compete with him for a starting role), or would it be acceptable to have Richie back up both spots? Interested from the perspective of the fans, but also what the club is likely to do here, just to get a sense of what Laryea's chances may be for next season.

As a Canadian fan, I obviously would want him to start, but realistically I think backing up both of the full back spots would be fine, as he'd possibly get enough reps to stay sharp ahead of Qatar. However, if it's a case of him being left out of the squad all together then he needs a loan. From the Canada perspective, I think at minimum he needs to be regularly coming off the bench. 

1 hour ago, Red_Dog said:

Hey guys,

I remember when Lukaka had a great season on loan to West Brom and Chelsea was loaning him out again the following season and Lukaka declared he wanted to go back to West Brom, but ended up with Everton.  Money talks.  Don't get too attached to Spence!  

Richie can play the left side too.  He's played as a true right back on a back four.  I think tactically Forest will have to utilize a back four much more often next year.

13 hours ago, Obinna said:

Thanks for this and congrats on the promotion!

What do you think of Richie backing up Spence and Lowe, who I understand is closer to securing his Forest future than Spence is? Do you think Forest will want a dedicated LWB to back up Lowe (or compete with him for a starting role), or would it be acceptable to have Richie back up both spots? Interested from the perspective of the fans, but also what the club is likely to do here, just to get a sense of what Laryea's chances may be for next season.

As a Canadian fan, I obviously would want him to start, but realistically I think backing up both of the full back spots would be fine, as he'd possibly get enough reps to stay sharp ahead of Qatar. However, if it's a case of him being left out of the squad all together then he needs a loan. From the Canada perspective, I think at minimum he needs to be regularly coming off the bench. 

I personally think we would want two for each position.  Although the fact he can cover two positions is of great advantage to him.  

It's so hard to predict at the moment, the rumour mill is obviously going crazy and our owner is talking of not standing still, but going to the Premier League and having an impact over just trying to tread water.

We've been linked to a few players at £20m already, so I think we will invest.  I hope he gets a chance with us, as i've always had a soft spot for Canada in general since Jim Brennan and I love my Hockey.  

• 2 weeks later...