Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

Cooper is now in a position he could easily have avoided. There were plenty of opportunities to blood Laryea into the team in low pressure situations, and none were taken. Since Christmas, Forest have won 10 games by 2 goals or more. In those games, Laryea played 11 minutes. If he starts tomorrow and plays well, then it’s water under of the bridge. But if he plays poorly, a big part of the blame should go to piss poor man management. 3 subs, 5 subs, doesn’t matter. That’s not how you properly rotate a squad.

Edited by footballfreak
Since Jan 1. Not Christmas. Idk why I said Christmas.

10 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Watching this Nottingham Forest game and a lot of shithousery going on . Does the Nottingham Forest coach know he has one of the best at shithousery on the bench if needed lol .

The table as it stands has Middlesbrough 2 points back of Sheffield United.  It's half time for Middlesbrough up 2-0.  Sheffield United play Fulham next week.  A loss by Sheffield United vs Fulham and a victory for Middlesbrough against Preston next week who sit 16th could result in Middlesbrough making the playoffs.   This could also result in a Forest vs Middlesbrough playoff match where 1st choice RWB Spence will be ineligible and Laryea could find himself getting his first start in a very important match.

It would obviously be bad for Jebbison if Middlesbrough leapfrogged United, but could benefit Laryea with playing time.

On 4/28/2022 at 10:50 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I grew up in the UK so think I have some concept of what the score is on that. Richie Laryea is an experienced Canadian international who was able to more than hold his own against Mexico at the Azteca. Have no problem accepting the possibility that Djed Spence is the better option than him and that he wasn't automatically going to walk straight into the Forest first team but the notion that is creeping into some posts on here that a Canadian player of his pedigree would need several months to be ready to cope with the level of play in the English Championship is something out of another era.

You've read into that way too much.

It's nothing to do with his pedigree, it's about the position he plays in, the strength of competition we have at the club and the demands of this league.

For instance, so far in his 3 short appearances, he has look very comfortable going forwards, and he's created two good chances.  However, he has also been caught out the wrong side of the ball on a few occasions and he flies in too quick to opposition players, and gets sidestepped.  This happened twice yesterday and it took a brilliant block from another player to cover for him.  

He hasn't played much because the other players in his position are some of our most important players unfortunately, and they appear to be much more reliable in their own defensive third from current showings, that's why he's having to wait patiently.  There are numerous other talented player in our squad also struggling to get time at the minute.  Alex Mighten is one of the most naturally talented players i've seen come through our Academy in over a decade, is also struggling to get on much, and that's in a position whereby his defensive shape is less important.

Richie is just going to have to to be very patient.  Hopefully we beat Bournemouth on Tuesday, then Hull on Saturday and we get automatically promoted, however if we don't and we have to play Middlesborough, Richie will get some opportunities as Spence will be ineligible. 

19 hours ago, Red_Dog said:

...and the demands of this league...

Sorry not buying that part. We are talking about England's second tier here not the top six in the Premiership who are genuinely out in the stratosphere in quality terms relative to Toronto FC. As stated previously I have no problem at all with the notion that you have better options in your squad but I seriously doubt you would have written this: 

19 hours ago, Red_Dog said:

...However, he has also been caught out the wrong side of the ball on a few occasions and he flies in too quick to opposition players, and gets sidestepped.  This happened twice yesterday and it took a brilliant block from another player to cover for him....

if he was coming from League One in England rather than MLS. It comes across as a little patronising when it's about a CMNT player who can handle facing Mexico away at the Azteca.

About being on the wrong side of the ball defending. Davies, almost always. It is mostly about recovering from the WRONG position when in transition, then it's highlight reel. That is why I don't want him anywhere near our back line. 

Tajon is also a bit of a disaster that way, they forgave a penalty against him vs. El Salvador, he lost his man that way vs. the US in the Gold Cup, it is constant.

If you push your outside backs forward, then someone has to cover for them. They are giving you breadth and stretching the defence, so you need them there. They are not being negligent. And you have to have the outside mid covering or the CM dropping back to the help the CBs if being countered with your outside back too far forward.

Our 3-5-2 covers for this in part.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

About being on the wrong side of the ball defending. Davies, almost always. It is mostly about recovering from the WRONG position when in transition, then it's highlight reel. That is why I don't want him anywhere near our back line. 

Tajon is also a bit of a disaster that way, they forgave a penalty against him vs. El Salvador, he lost his man that way vs. the US in the Gold Cup, it is constant.

If you push your outside backs forward, then someone has to cover for them. They are giving you breadth and stretching the defence, so you need them there. They are not being negligent. And you have to have the outside mid covering or the CM dropping back to the help the CBs if being countered with your outside back too far forward.

Our 3-5-2 covers for this in part.

Truth be told, that's Djed Spence too.  Freak athlete who compensates for poor defensive positioning/recognition with unfair physical advantages.  Try to play in behind me and I'll track you down.  Try to dribble me and I'll stick my foot in and make you look dumb.  Try to outpace me, and I'll run with you, get my body in front of yours and see the ball out, thank you very much.  It's how you play defense when have no clue about the position, but because you're faster (stronger) than everyone you don't really care/need to learn...