Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

The quotes in that article seem like the fairly generic stuff you'd expect a manager to say about a player who's not in his first choice XI. Where did you find the offense in them?

He's like: well he better be ready if I call him. 

But it's clear he does not rely on him at all and does not give a damn about the club's investment or the player's development. So it is just being cynical, to appease the press and fans who do seem to want to see him.

It's also an insult to his Canada performances. Goes to Central America, has MOTM performances (or near)--that, sir, was all the readiness you needed.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

At first I thought you were wrong after I read the article but seeing what you said above and thinking it over I think you're right.  It's like he is being set up for failure.  Yeah, you'll never play for another month but you better be ready for the crumb I might throw you, whenever I don't have any other options but you.

I get that is the cold part of professionalism but we're people too with egos and jealousies and at least wanting to contribute in a more tangible way.  It says a lot about Richie's character to stay positive, I hope that was part of his English dream, to bide his time and pay his dues.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But it's clear he does not rely on him at all and does not give a damn about the club's investment or the player's development. So it is just being cynical, to appease the press and fans who do seem to want to see him.

It's also an insult to his Canada performances. Goes to Central America, has MOTM performances (or near)--that, sir, was all the readiness you needed.

I'm pretty sure the manager is just doing what he feels is best to gain his team promotion.  Ritchie is signed for 3.5 years.  There's time to develop him.  I know Richie can play on the left, but the manager not a right footed player playing down the left.  That leaves him on the right where Spence has been one of their best players all year.  

It's down to a coinflip in my mind as to whether middlesbrough makes the playoffs or not.  If this happens and forest plays them Spence can not play.  Ritchie may well be in line to play if this happens.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ritchie gets a start down the stretch if Forest secure their playoff spot and can't catch 2nd.  I think the article was fairly genuine.  It's never a bad thing for a manager to say he has confidence in a player despite the fact that he hasn't played.  Ritchie is a great dude, so it's not surprising for a manager to say he's handled the situation really well.  Some players don't handle not playing very well.  

Colback is a 32 year old veteran.  I think Ritchie is more dynamic than Colback, but it's not surprising for a manager to start a very steady reliable veteran left footed player on the left side over Ritchie.  Ritchie will only gain the manager's confidence by playing.  I think he got off to a great start in limited minutes by playing the ball quickly and making the right passes. 

56 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Ritchie is signed for 3.5 years.  There's time to develop him.  

But he is 27 years old.   He is a starter on a national team that qualified first in their region for the WC, so I dont get why he needs to be developed to play in the Championship. 

PS.: Seems like Steve Cooper is the guy who coached the England U17 team to the U17 WC title in 2017.

Edited by Free kick

Forrest's coach telling Laryea to stay ready is generic coach talk not just in football but in any sport. This is what basketball coaches say about the talented rookie on the bench who can't crack the lineup because of who the starters are. It's what hockey coaches say to their fourth line who don't get the minutes they'd prefer to have. There isn't much you can say about a solid player who simply can't find playing time because the guys ahead of him are solid.

Taking emotion out of the equation because football is a cold business, the reality is that Forrest has one four of their last 5, which has vaulted them (if I'm not mistaken) into the promotion playoffs- why would they tweak what's working? We always talk about how Herdman needs to roll with the guys who got them to the WC and how slotting in the phenom du jour into the lineup over the vets is not a good idea- I don't see why it would be different for Nottingham, who, being completely honest, are playing much higher stakes games than the CANMNT is playing. The reality is that the club doesn't owe a guy minutes just because he played well for one of the lowest ranked WC qualified team. He was signed because he's a solid option if every single guy ahead of him goes down, and if not, he can compete for a spot next year, after having been integrated in the club for what would be like 8 months or so by then.

FWIW I think Laryea is a fantastic player, I really hope he gets his shot and thrives in England, he's been fantastic for Canada, and he's one of the first guys from this iteration to use his CANMNT performance to vault to a better league, so I hope that things work out for him and that he solidifies his role. I hope there are conversations happening off the field where the team has given him clear instruction on what his path can/should be with the team ie play your role and stay ready this year, and next year, we're aiming to have you be one of our top options to slot into the lineup.

Good to see him finally get his debut.  Unfortunately for him, Djed Spence has been absolutely fantastic, he will be in the Premier League next season and there's long been talks of a £15-20m move for him.

Our coach has turned our fortunes around this season in a way which no-one expected.  In his time thus far, we are on League Title winning form.  No-one is getting a game purely for the sake of giving them game time.  This league is the most unforgiving in Europe.  The intensity is crazy and games are often won and lost in the last 10 minutes of games.

Laryea will have to remain patient.  I still fully suspect he was signed with next season in mind, not this season.  He's just had several months to settle in over here, which he will benefit for.

Nottingham has six guys over 3000 minutes, and two more about to go over. I haven't done a complete survey, but looking at a couple other Championship teams, that's pretty high, and I think would be very rare in the Premier League, even for teams who play a lot of European games. Cooper has rolled the dice on usage, and so far he's gotten away with it. Clearly he has little faith in his bench players to take that kind of risk.

Edited by Cicero

Huge responsibility today. Shows that the coach in fact does have faith and trust in Richie to play him in such a high stakes affair. He looked slightly out of place defensively to me, especially with that fly-by he did in the 88ish, but offensively he had a great run and is clearly comfortable going forward. Defending in this system might just take a little bit more experience to master, but I am not chalking that up to the club or teammates because they were defending in a low block for the majority of his time on the pitch.

Overall, have to be very pleased. Now a massive game on Tuesday against Bournemouth. They have to get all 9 of 9 if they want that second spot. Any minutes he gets in the next few games are going to be huge and could define is role in this team going forward. Exciting times

3 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Huge responsibility today. Shows that the coach in fact does have faith and trust in Richie to play him in such a high stakes affair. He looked slightly out of place defensively to me, especially with that fly-by he did in the 88ish, but offensively he had a great run and is clearly comfortable going forward. Defending in this system might just take a little bit more experience to master, but I am not chalking that up to the club or teammates because they were defending in a low block for the majority of his time on the pitch.

Overall, have to be very pleased. Now a massive game on Tuesday against Bournemouth. They have to get all 9 of 9 if they want that second spot. Any minutes he gets in the next few games are going to be huge and could define is role in this team going forward. Exciting times

Appreciate this analysis, thanks.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch and all that, but Richie could very well be playing in the Premier League next year. Imagine that. Would certainly be the explanation point on what's been nothing short of a meteoric rise over the last 3 years. 

3 hours ago, kohanz said:

Very positive stuff from Forest fans on Twitter.

Just a sampling

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 5.12.07 PM.png

Love this.  Used to scan the inter web for this kind of stuff back in the 90s when this kind of chatter was all we had to hang our hats on.  How times have changed lads.  

25 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

What a beauty chance he created - just needed the finish.   Making plays like that (and like we all know he is capable of) is why I still think this move to NF will ultimately have a happy ending.  He is just too good to keep off the field.  

Im surprised guys were/are doubting this considering the main factor being Forrest have been chasing promotion before he arrived, and not flirting with relegation. 

It was always going to be a slow integration. Likewise what we are seeing with Eustaqiuo, but it doesn't mean they aren't long term projects.