Cristián Gutiérrez

Vince193

He is comfortable on the ball playing deep while the opposition is pressing and can constructively get it up the pitch.  Like Colliedor's opinion, I'm not convinced of his overall defensive play yet, especially with contesting aerial challenges and 1 v 1s.  However, he has started the year making the LB spot a hot competition between him and Adnan.

53 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I’m surprised the guys on the Northern Futbol keep talking about the need to cap-tie him in relation to the CI game.  Unless I’m mistaken, one-time switch means that he plays for Canada.  

Yeah, he filed his switch.

Hopefully, he is this year's Alistair Johnston and establishes himself.  I agree with others that we need to see defensive improvement from him from last year as we know that at the international level we will be under pressure at times from the US, Mexico, Jamaica, etc.  Lets see how he does when (1) he goes up against one of the better RW's in the MLS; and (2) he is isolated against these type of players.  But it would be great to have someone we can rely on there so that we have the option of playing Davies farther forward.  

I am not sold on Adekugbe.  In many ways, against the stronger sides I would prefer to have Miller there like we did against the US at home in 2019 and Davies farther ahead to hurt them on the counter.  

• 2 weeks later...

Skip to the 15:00 mark

Question: What are your goals this season?

Answer: To solidify my position in the starting XI and to get more (regular) calls to the #CanMNT

Question: How was it to work with the other #CanMNT fullbacks in camp back in March, like Adekugbe and Laryea?

Answer: They are very good players and I am always learning and it was an enjoyable experience.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

11 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Skip to the 15:00 mark

Question: What are your goals this season?

Answer: To solidify my position in the starting XI and to get more (regular) calls to the #CanMNT

Question: How was it to work with the other #CanMNT fullbacks in camp back in March, like Adekugbe and Laryea?

Answer: They are very good players and I am always learning and it was an enjoyable experience.

We definitely need him in the side

On 4/25/2021 at 10:35 PM, An Observer said:

Hopefully, he is this year's Alistair Johnston and establishes himself.  I agree with others that we need to see defensive improvement from him from last year as we know that at the international level we will be under pressure at times from the US, Mexico, Jamaica, etc.  Lets see how he does when (1) he goes up against one of the better RW's in the MLS; and (2) he is isolated against these type of players.  But it would be great to have someone we can rely on there so that we have the option of playing Davies farther forward.  

I am not sold on Adekugbe.  In many ways, against the stronger sides I would prefer to have Miller there like we did against the US at home in 2019 and Davies farther ahead to hurt them on the counter.  

I like what i've seen from Gutierrez, he's good and getting better.  I think he passes Adekugbe soon. 

However, big picture.... I've seen Laryea play LB a little, and I think he's our best back on either side.  Even if he's 85% of what he is on the right.  So in order to have the best 11 on the field, I'd switch him to the left to make space for ZBG and Johnston who i feel are ahead of both Gutierrez and Adekugbe. 

ZBG and Johnston are great options in the way their games are so different, we could use Johnston vs the stronger teams for his D first approach and ZBG when we need and could use his attacking flair.

As for MIller, he sees himself as a CB, CFMTL sees him as a CB, only Orlando saw him as a LB.  I don't see any reason to play him at LB with the options we have.

21 minutes ago, costarg said:

I like what i've seen from Gutierrez, he's good and getting better.  I think he passes Adekugbe soon. 

However, big picture.... I've seen Laryea play LB a little, and I think he's our best back on either side.  Even if he's 85% of what he is on the right.  So in order to have the best 11 on the field, I'd switch him to the left to make space for ZBG and Johnston who i feel are ahead of both Gutierrez and Adekugbe. 

ZBG and Johnston are great options in the way their games are so different, we could use Johnston vs the stronger teams for his D first approach and ZBG when we need and could use his attacking flair.

As for MIller, he sees himself as a CB, CFMTL sees him as a CB, only Orlando saw him as a LB.  I don't see any reason to play him at LB with the options we have.

ZBG has 1 goal and 2 assists in 3 MLS seasons.  With 1 goal and 1 assist coming in the first 3 games of this season.  Yes, he has shown some attacking flair in a couple games this season but he has been far from an attacking threat as an outside back in his first couple of seasons with Montreal.  Perhaps under a the new coach, we see more in attack going forward.

As for depth chart, excluding Davies:

Laryea is by far our best outside back.  I would probably put Adekugbe second but only slightly ahead of Gutierrez, ZBG & Johnston in which I all see similar levels.

12 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Laryea is by far our best outside back.  I would probably put Adekugbe second but only slightly ahead of Gutierrez, ZBG & Johnston in which I all see similar levels.

I'm trying, but I'm having a hard time understanding your ratings.  I had to do a bit of research to see if it was just me that rated them differently, but transfermarkt also says pretty much the same:

Johnston: 22 / $2.2 M

ZBG: 22 / $880K

Gutierrez: 24 / $880K

Adekugbe: 26 / $440k

2 hours ago, costarg said:

I'm trying, but I'm having a hard time understanding your ratings.  I had to do a bit of research to see if it was just me that rated them differently, but transfermarkt also says pretty much the same:

Johnston: 22 / $2.2 M

ZBG: 22 / $880K

Gutierrez: 24 / $880K

Adekugbe: 26 / $440k

Just personal opinion, but like I said, aside from Laryea, all the others are very similar to me.

FYI Transfermarkt does not necessarily always translate.  Fati & De Jong are more expensive than Messi, don't tell me you would take De Jong and Fati over Messi right now.  Lots of variables in those ratings, including age, club, league etc.  TransferMarkt has Cristiano Ronaldo with the 102nd highest market value in the world.  Again your logic is telling me that there are 101 players in the world better than Ronaldo right now.

Liam Millar market value is $55,000 according to Transfermarkt making him basically the lowest of the entire Canadian player pool of 50 plus players.  So by your logic, he is barely making our C squad but our eye test / reality is telling us he's 100% in our A squad. 

Hutchinson - $500k - Kaye - $6M - Osorio - $6M - Eustaquio - $4M - Piette - $2M - Arfield $2M - Fraser - $1.5M - Baldisimo - $600k - Priso - $500k - Wotherspoon - $500k.  Again this logic puts Hutchinson about 10th in our midfield depth chart.

Sometimes you have to take those values with a grain of salt.  A lot of variables.  Again just a personal opinion that I think Adekugbe right now is very slightly higher rated than Gutierrez, ZBG & Johnston and I know there are others that agree.  Herdman seems to rate Adekugbe as well.  That doesn't mean the other players won't be better than Adekugbe, in fact I think they all have a higher ceiling than him.

Edited by Corazon