Milan Borjan

Vince193

7 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Borjan gets the start in the Serbian Cup semi-final

Red Star won the match. Their opponent in the final are TBD because the other match was abandoned due to heavy rain.

https://sportal.blic.rs/fudbal/srbija/superliga/mec-nece-biti-nastavljen-neverovatna-scena-i-prekid-polufinala-kupa-srbije/2023051714312956175 🌧

On 5/26/2022 at 5:19 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

coffee win GIF by TimHortons

Congrats to Borjan on winning the DOUBLE DOUBLE ! ;)

Red Star have already won the league. The only question now is if they have what it takes to go undefeated. They have two more matches left and have 30 wins and 5 draws.

They are therefore one victory away (the cup final match) from winning the double three years in a row. The "triple double" if you will.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

23 minutes ago, Big_M said:

borjan blunder and its 1-0...who cares just give him a couple more cycles as the #1

A mix of blunder and great skill from the opponent, it's hard not to feel like Čukarički truly deserved that goal.

Red Star have managed to tie the game though:

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Win the league by 22 points and win your 5th straight title and still tell your captain he won’t be your starting keeper, damn.

Wouldn't hate to see him try MLS out. Montreal could sure use him. Playing 2 or 3 years here and then winning a hometown title with Forge to wrap up his career wouldn’t be the worst way to cap his playing days off.

He should have gone to Italy when there was interest a few years ago . . . what could have been! I think this is now the time to transition Borjan out. Bring in St. Clair and McGill in more important games (and Crepeau when he is back from injury). We can't do what we did with Atiba and hang on too long when it was obvious he was not up to it and a step slower than everyone. We now have time to test the younger guys in big games so let's do it. 

9 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Wild, would think he comes closer to home now. Don’t think any CDN team makes sense atm

It's too bad this didn't happen pre-World Cup. Could have gone to TFC perhaps, instead of them signing Sean Johnson. 

Agreed though. I don't see him going to Vancouver for some reason (Japanese Keeper and Hasal are a good 1 & 2). Montreal has a good thing going with Sirois. Obviously too early for CPL. Maybe there's an American team who'd be interested. 

Or perhaps he could go to a bigger club and be a solid No. 2. When he was linked to Napoli, 4 or 5 years ago, they wanted him to back up Pepe Riena. Maybe not the likes of Napoli this time, but perhaps some other Serie A club could use him as a solid back up that's capable of starting, if needed. 

He's entering the stage of his career where he's likely to be the backup regardless (as we see now with Red Star - and soon Canada) so maybe he's best off just going to the best club possible and playing that role?

7 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

Wonder if this is a contract play by Zvezda- "force MB" hand to leave the club due to the demotion and then they can be free of his salary.  

Could be actually. They win the league and cup perpetually now, so they can afford to hit the reset button on the keeper and free themselves of a big contract. It makes sense...

I could see him getting a deal in the Middle East. I'm sure he's known to MLS sides but I don't think any team is really looking for a quick GK fix which is what he would be.

The homecoming with Forge would be nice but he's not taking that kind of paycut and Forge don't need him.

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I could see him getting a deal in the Middle East. I'm sure he's known to MLS sides but I don't think any team is really looking for a quick GK fix which is what he would be.

The homecoming with Forge would be nice but he's not taking that kind of paycut and Forge don't need him.

Henry has made some pretty significant blunders over the years. I think there is room for an upgrade. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

That’s why I think Montreal makes sense. Sirois is fine but Montreal wants to be competitive and you need someone a bit better than him, plus he’s only 21, so good to learn with such a good veteran. The Forge thing should only happen when he’s closer to 40 and if he wants one final go before retiring. Sorta what Wrexham’s keeper did this season.

18 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Or honestly, maybe he stays at Red Star as a backup. He hangs out in the dressing room blasting cigs, teaching the young guys the ropes of the trade, keeping the vibes good, on the job training to be a future coach etc. Be their Udonis Haslem.

Or accelerating a transition into a post playing career with the club?  Don't know but doubt it somehow.

This is insane. 

He started 28 of 30 games. Let in 11 goals and had 17 clean sheets. 

https://www.transfermarkt.us/milan-borjan/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/67797/wettbewerb/SER1/saison/2022

Red Star did not lose a single game and I don't think he let in more than 1 goal in a single game... 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/super-liga-srbije/tabelle/wettbewerb/SER1/saison_id/2022

I get that Red Star is dominant but in what world do you decide to change out your keeper and captain unless there's personality or contract issues. 

I'd be furious at any suggestion of being a backup. 

Edited by yomurphy1

1 hour ago, yomurphy1 said:

This is insane. 

He started 28 of 30 games. Let in 11 goals and had 17 clean sheets. 

https://www.transfermarkt.us/milan-borjan/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/67797/wettbewerb/SER1/saison/2022

Red Star did not lose a single game and I don't think he let in more than 1 goal in a single game... 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/super-liga-srbije/tabelle/wettbewerb/SER1/saison_id/2022

I get that Red Star is dominant but in what world do you decide to change out your keeper and captain unless there's personality or contract issues. 

I'd be furious at any suggestion of being a backup. 

Tbf, that doesn't tell you much in his situation - you could stick a CPL gk in their net and they'd probably still win the league. If he's not cutting it in European competition, then I get it.

Edited by PiedPilko

5 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

...but in what world do you decide to change out your keeper and captain unless there's personality or contract issues...

Maybe worth bearing in mind that he will be 36 soon. Also worth bearing in mind that Red Star tend to go through coaches quite quickly. Stefan Mitrovic was signed by the same guy that wanted him for Malmo and now that coach is out the door at Red Star despite a very successful season. If you are out of favour with one coach maybe the next guy will see it differently and maybe it won't be all that long until he arrives.

6 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Tbf, that doesn't tell you much in his situation - you could stick a CPL gk in their net and they'd probably still win the league. If he's not cutting it in European competition, then I get it.

Serbia is more competitive than Bundesliga, objectively. At least RedStar have a worthy rival, Partizan. 

I don't get this downplaying that league, then all these fans thinking Bayern Munich is a wonderful fit for Alphonso. 

Also remember when only Rosenberg won in Norway. Things can change.

Imo he's on half a million a year and at that, you only move if you can get the same.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Serbia is more competitive than Bundesliga, objectively. At least RedStar have a worthy rival, Partizan.

In name they do, but in practice Partizan is not all that much more competitive than Dortmund. Red Star blew the league out by 22 points this year., Partizan finished 4th. I think Red Star has won something like 8 of the last 10 seasons. That will change at some point and reverse probably, but at some point Bayern will stop winning the title every season, at least temporary. But right now, Serbia is closer to a 1 team league than a 2 team league. Scotland is a more competitive league, probably.

24 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

In name they do, but in practice Partizan is not all that much more competitive than Dortmund. Red Star blew the league out by 22 points this year., Partizan finished 4th. I think Red Star has won something like 8 of the last 10 seasons. That will change at some point and reverse probably, but at some point Bayern will stop winning the title every season, at least temporary. But right now, Serbia is closer to a 1 team league than a 2 team league. Scotland is a more competitive league, probably.

Since the start of the Serbian SuperLeague in 06-07, Partizan and Red Star are tied at 8 leagues each. It is equivalent to Old Firm in Scotland, overall, historically, they are also very close to each other. In the league after the fall of Yugoslavia, in Serbia, from the early 90s, Partizan won 8, Red Star 5.

Since the start of the Bundesliga in the early 60s, Bayern has won over half.

There is no comparison with the dominance of Bayern in the Bundesliga, which is probably more a comment on how unambitious or poorly run the rest of Bundesliga teams are. Since at least we are talking about major urban centres and big stadiums, amazing fan bases too, whereas in Serbia, clearly, you don't have other clubs able to compete on scale.

I think we are also ignoring another little detail, which is how Serbian politics is affecting recent results.

in any case, what I am really arguing is that if fans are concerned Borjan is not in a competitive environment, they should be equally worried about what a Bayern Munich player is facing week-in, week-out, which is far from being as tough as what most assume it should be 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist