Milan Borjan

Vince193

4 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Owen Goodman is closer to the NT than an actual NT keeper with 30 odd MLS appearances? If I had more time I would bump the Roberto Stillo and Alessandro Juventus guy threads for you to see how this likely ends.

It's less about thinking Goodman is the next great prem goalie, and more that I don't think Pantemis is good. At all. He got a shot in the Montreal system via connections. He wasn't very good at Valour. He was given the starting position at Montreal because the guy we have who was supposed to be an eventual serie A keeper sucked. He was given a spot on our WC roster because Crepeau busted his leg, and it was between him and Hasal, coin flip. I don't think he's good now, and nothing points to him being good in the future. I'd much rather get a third string goalie who could be something good instead of a guy who will not be. FWIW Jayson Leutwiler also has caps for Canada.

17 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Owen Goodman is closer to the NT than an actual NT keeper with 30 odd MLS appearances? If I had more time I would bump the Roberto Stillo and Alessandro Juventus guy threads for you to see how this likely ends.

Teibert has more MLS appearances than Kone but he is further from an actual NT appearance. I wonder why?

9 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It's less about thinking Goodman is the next great prem goalie, and more that I don't think Pantemis is good. At all. He got a shot in the Montreal system via connections. He wasn't very good at Valour. He was given the starting position at Montreal because the guy we have who was supposed to be an eventual serie A keeper sucked. He was given a spot on our WC roster because Crepeau busted his leg, and it was between him and Hasal, coin flip. I don't think he's good now, and nothing points to him being good in the future. I'd much rather get a third string goalie who could be something good instead of a guy who will not be. FWIW Jayson Leutwiler also has caps for Canada.

This last line is sorta lost on me. In 2015 Leutwiler had the most clean sheets in all of Europe, the next year he committed to Canada and quickly won promotion to the Championship. If we had another keeper who was top quality in League One and getting looks with a Championship squad, they'd be in the conversation. Sure he's not in his prime now, and is playing at a lower level but it's not like his calls were just due to being dealt a good hand.

1 minute ago, Pottsy3 said:

This last line is sorta lost on me. In 2015 Leutwiler had the most clean sheets in all of Europe, the next year he committed to Canada and quickly won promotion to the Championship. If we had another keeper who was top quality in League One and getting looks with a Championship squad, they'd be in the conversation. Sure he's not in his prime now, and is playing at a lower level but it's not like his calls were just due to being dealt a good hand.

More a point about prior caps or MLS starts or whatever not being a good judge of quality. He had his moments and served the team well, but I think we can all agree that his time with our team is done.

Just now, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't know Sal, you tell me. I thought we were talking about Owen Goodman. :)

I gave you an example showing you  your comparison wasn't valid and now you want to change subject. I don't know whether Goodman is good enough right now to play for the NT but I can tell you Pantemis isn't a NT quality player and he doesn't have the potential to be one. Maybe Goodman has the potential.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

More a point about prior caps or MLS starts or whatever not being a good judge of quality. He had his moments and served the team well, but I think we can all agree that his time with our team is done.

It just sounds like an insinuation that he was poor at in play at his level, as you’ve suggested with Pantemis. But that just simply wasn’t true at the time, and his commitment was very promising at a time when Stamatopoulos had just bailed us out in a Gold Cup.

Pantemis had been the NT selection over Hasal/Breza for a few years now so clearly they see something promising. It’s gonna require reps in the pro game, and a commitment to the program before we see Goodman (or Odunze) called in ahead of the guys getting MLS reps. 

2 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

It just sounds like an insinuation that he was poor at in play at his level, as you’ve suggested with Pantemis. But that just simply wasn’t true at the time, and his commitment was very promising at a time when Stamatopoulos had just bailed us out in a Gold Cup.

Pantemis had been the NT selection over Hasal/Breza for a few years now so clearly they see something promising. It’s gonna require reps in the pro game, and a commitment to the program before we see Goodman (or Odunze) called in ahead of the guys getting MLS reps. 

No that isn't what I meant. Pantemis is poor at this level though. I would like to see Hasal get a shot, but I don't think being called over Breza is a ringing endorsement, since Breza has shown even less. Pantemis hasn't shown much of anything at any level- being at the right place at the right time could get you NT call ups and MLS chances 4-5 years ago, but it doesn't mean the team thinks he's the future. He is currently a member of unaffiliated FC- I'm sure he can get an MLS contract by function of being the keeper for the team that finished like a point out of the supporters shield, but I don't know that he has many more MLS days ahead of him.

For Goodman, it would help him commit if we actually have a roster spot for us. He's a triple national who could plausibly play for Nigeria, so Canada too should make a move, and then if he doesn't pan out, whatever, he's our third string, and both Crepeau and St. Clair are perfectly fine options for now. For Odunze, is there any indication he's ever considered Canada? Seems he's played a lot of youth soccer for USMNT, I have always assumed he's not an option, or we have a very slim chance of getting him. That US goalie depth chart is gonna be extremely difficult to crack though, especially considering the solid options that didn't even make the Qatar squad.

• 3 months later...

Borjan not in the lineup today for Red Star as they draw Napredak 1-1.

Some sources say he is injured:

https://www.zurnal.rs/scc/clanak/149659/borjan-ne-brani-jos-se-ceka-izjednacenje-sa-dujkovicem

Other sources say he is simply being rested before international duty:

https://hotsport.rs/2023/03/19/milojevic-bez-borjana-u-krusevcu-trener-crveno-belih-bez-nekih-kljucnih-igraca/

I guess we will soon find out!

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Not me! He can get them at the Gold Cup or the CNL semi-finals & finals, if we qualify.

Our whole summer is on the line here.

This may actually be a case for St. Clair if Borjan is less than 100%. He was coming off a knock heading into the World Cup and we could say it showed, because he wasn't at his best. I want the best player in net and if that's St. Clair due to Borjan picking up something, then we live and die by that. 

Now if Borjan is fully fit and in form, chances are he's ahead of St Clair and I am fine with that too. 

On 3/21/2023 at 11:05 AM, narduch said:

Confused because he wasn't carrying a Nespresso machine 

one of the craziest “culture shocks” I’ve experienced is how popular nes cafe is in serbia. Most coffee shops offer it as an option alongside regular coffee, and I’ve seen quite a few people go for the nes for taste, not because it’s cheaper or anything- the way it’s been explained to me is similar to how people go for the Timmy’s double double here, even though it’s barely coffee.