Milan Borjan

Vince193

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Weird they have them playing at that level in a qualifying round. Very easy either way for them. Maybe Red Star should be starting later?

Don't think a lot of people realize that in response to Super League they have modified the format to make it easier for the bigger league teams.

To be fair Red Star only has to win 2 qualifying rounds to make the Group Stage.

They also got lucky in this draw, drawing the easiest teams.

Screenshot_20220718-145804_Chrome.jpg

Aren’t teams also entered in various rounds according to their league score? The Serbian league sucks outside of the two teams, so RS will naturally enter earlier than a team of their calibre should. On top of that, the Armenian team they might play pulled off what looks to be a big upset over the Romanian team they beat.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting as he had said he planned to retire after his deal in 2023 ran out.

I wonder if he will remain as Canada's #1 going into 2026. Sucks for Crepeau and St. Clair but at the same time I imagine Herdman will open up the #1 spot after the 2023 GC.

He did state that he would love to continue with Canada through to 2026.  I believe his comments on retiring were more in frustration with his Red Star situation at the time.  I\d love for him to continue on through 2026.  If his quality takes a step back or another Canadian keeper takes a step up, I'm sure Borjan would still love a backup role with our national team.

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Interesting as he had said he planned to retire after his deal in 2023 ran out.

I wonder if he will remain as Canada's #1 going into 2026. Sucks for Crepeau and St. Clair but at the same time I imagine Herdman will open up the #1 spot after the 2023 GC.

Is there any reason to reevaluate Borjan’s starting role? I feel like as opposed to players who can improve/regress, goalies are what you see is what you get. I don’t think Borjan has ever lost Canada a game, so provided he’s still fit, he deserves the starting role until he retires. It does suck for St Clair especially as I’d be surprised if our keeper depth chart changes at all until Borjan retires.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Is there any reason to reevaluate Borjan’s starting role? I feel like as opposed to players who can improve/regress, goalies are what you see is what you get. I don’t think Borjan has ever lost Canada a game, so provided he’s still fit, he deserves the starting role until he retires. It does suck for St Clair especially as I’d be surprised if our keeper depth chart changes at all until Borjan retires.

Gold Cup 19 QF against Haiti, but that was a long time ago and you could argue that was Godino's doing (who by the way had a great game last night).

25 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Borjan has been great lately, he was absolutely phenomenal in WCQ, but it was only a few years ago we witnessed some horrid unforced mistakes and lack of concentration.  I wouldn't be so quick in guaranteeing anything to anyone.  

12 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I just hope Borjan doesn't David Seaman us and begin to decline athletically but still remain the #1. Seaman at the 2002 World Cup was not a good sight

Think you'll find this moment is generally fondly remembered outside England in the UK to say nothing of elsewhere:

Almost as funny as Ron Atkinson trying to convince the viewers that Ronaldinho wasn't going for goal. Don't think there's much danger of Milan Borjan doing anything like that because he'll probably have a lot more respect for his opponent's ability than Seaman did.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Think it all depends on the other keepers. What if St Clair moves to a top 5 league and is the starting keeper  or the same happens to Owen Goodman at Crystal Palace? I can see Borjan being a great mentor for those two from the bench. Heck he could even become our keeper coach

Edited by Kadenge

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think you'll find this moment is generally fondly remembered outside England in the UK to say nothing of elsewhere:

Almost as funny as Ron Atkinson trying to convince the viewers that Ronaldinho wasn't going for goal. Don't think there's much danger of Milan Borjan doing anything like that because he'll probably have a lot more respect for his opponent's ability than Seaman did.

This was another, but on a great occasion, and a few years earlier.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:27 PM, narduch said:

Red Star will face Pyunik of Armenia in Champions League. First leg is August 3.

The draw for their potential final qualifying round opponent is on August 2.

If Red Star advance they will face either M. Haifa (Israel) or Apollon (Cyprus) in the final qualifying round.

• 2 weeks later...