Doneil Henry

Coramoor

32 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

This is the right level for Doneil currently.

I just hope he doesn't displace promising young Canadian CBs Loughrey and Nimick, who contributed a ridiculous lobbed assist for the game-winner yesterday. 

You're right. 

But it still hurts, I always hoped he was gonna be "the one" to break through to the top leagues and be our leader.  So much promise and so likeable.  His confidence must've taken a huge hit through the injuries and all the moves.  I still want to believe.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

You're right. 

But it still hurts, I always hoped he was gonna be "the one" to break through to the top leagues and be our leader.  So much promise and so likeable.  His confidence must've taken a huge hit through the injuries and all the moves.  I still want to believe.

It's been a very rough few years and I wish the best for him, but at 30, it may be time to see some younger, high-potential CBs developed / given a chance. 

Edit: Just wanted to add that this kind of reminds me of David Edgar's trajectory. He played at a very young age for Newcastle and scored that screamer vs Man U. And it seemed to be downhill after that. I guess these bizarre scenarios come up every now and then. That said and to be fair to Edgar, he entered CPL at 32 when it really was the twilight of his career. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

39 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

It's been a very rough few years and I wish the best for him, but at 30, it may be time to see some younger, high-potential CBs developed / given a chance. 

Edit: Just wanted to add that this kind of reminds me of David Edgar's trajectory. He played at a very young age for Newcastle and scored that screamer vs Man U. And it seemed to be downhill after that. I guess these bizarre scenarios come up every now and then. That said and to be fair to Edgar, he entered CPL at 32 when it really was the twilight of his career. 

I agree but we already have moved on.  Its been 13 months since he represented Canada with zero indication of another call up coming. 

• 2 weeks later...

Of course we can all see how far Doneil is from our National Team program at this point.  I stand by the fact, he had a great qualifying campaign for us to help get us to Qatar.  But I've really come to like him more and more as person in the past year.  Starting with essentially giving his world cup spot to Waterman even though he was offered it.  He's had a very rough couple of years with club and battled injuries.  But he's embraced coming back to the CPL and already showing great leadership capabilities.  He is clearly well overweight currently but I thoroughly enjoyed him being mic'd up on Sunday's victory over York (which I was able to watch in person as well).

It is well worth watching the 6 minute video from Twitter.  Clearly shows the great leadership he possesses (probably helps that he knows he's mic'd up).

If you aren't a bigger fan of Doneil after watching this video than you were before than I don't know what to tell you.

Here is a shorter version of him mic'd up from Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cvh-0lZN8Xn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Edited by Corazon

• 1 month later...

The winner of this week's Rodney Dangerfield "No Respect" Award:  when he was subbed on vs VFC, the stadium announcer called him "Daniel."  In her defence, I think she might have been confused because the second of the triple sub announcements before Henry was Aidan Daniels, but still...Doneil was the one big name player recognizable in this match.  At least, I hope he was recognizable:  when he was warming up with Peruzza and the rest of the subs in the second half by the VFC corner, there were only a handful of us there to watch.  I thought more people would have come over to kibbitz and good naturedly chirp with him.

He was talking it up earlier in the game with a fan in a wheelchair on the lower concourse and you could see his outgoing personality.  So, when he finally hangs them up, does he go to TSN or One Soccer?

The league should have him regularly mic'ed up on the side lines.  

40 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

He was talking it up earlier in the game with a fan in a wheelchair on the lower concourse and you could see his outgoing personality.  So, when he finally hangs them up, does he go to TSN or One Soccer?

The league should have him regularly mic'ed up on the side lines.

I appreciate this anecdote. For whatever reason I've never thought of him as a particularly personable person. He just looks angry on the pitch and in interviews, but the evidence suggests otherwise. It sounds like he's a great character in the locker room and with fans

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I appreciate this anecdote. For whatever reason I've never thought of him as a particularly personable person. He just looks angry on the pitch and in interviews, but the evidence suggests otherwise. It sounds like he's a great character in the locker room and with fans

I met a few of the players when we were in Orlando a few years ago and “personable” is not the first word I would use to describe how he came across.   

• 2 months later...