Doneil Henry

Coramoor

14 minutes ago, Kent said:

No, just a very factual view of the term top flight. I think the main problem you may be experiencing is that when people read "Europe" for whatever reason they think that means England, Spain, Germany, or Italy... when there are 51 other countries in UEFA.

Of course, the Cypriot first division should be respected because it's a top-flight in Europe. It's standard is worse than CanPL, mind, but don't worry about that.

The guy above was either making a very subtle joke or was disingenuously misrepresenting the stature of Manjekrar James' in the football world.

10 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Of course, the Cypriot first division should be respected because it's a top-flight in Europe. It's standard is worse than CanPL, mind, but don't worry about that.

The guy above was either making a very subtle joke or was disingenuously misrepresenting the stature of Manjekrar James' in the football world.

Is it though? Can't see any team in the CPL testing Man United like Omonia Nicosia. Then again though, Man United have been such a shit show that you never know. 

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Is it though? Can't see any team in the CPL testing Man United like Omonia Nicosia. Then again though, Man United have been such a shit show that you never know. 

Where exactly Omonia stack up to CPL I'm not sure, but they have some quality players -- including goalscorer from the first leg Ansarifard (Iranian international who also set up the game-winner vs Uruguay recently). 

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I didn't think it was that subtle myself.

It was a bit of a riddle as well, since top-flight means the top division in a nation.

Well played and at least James is getting regular work these days. All but 20' this season so far. I assume he is safe.

Edit:

The Cypriot league actually does quite well in Europe.  Better results the last 5 years than the Swedish, Irish, and Welch ones, among some 30 others.

Now sending the CPL Champions to San Marino to play their league's winner would be fun for all involved.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

On 10/17/2022 at 12:31 AM, ballerz said:

Henry or Waterman has no business on the field in Qatar, even if they are there. Hutchinson is rotating with Vitoria while Miller is playing every minute. Johnston is RCB if they play three at the back. There is no discussion, the quality simply is not there.

23 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We are in massive, massive trouble if Hutch gets anywhere near the CB spot in Qatar.  Love him and he deserves to be there but that just sends shudders through me.   

I think the reality is that if Hutchinson is fit and we lose a couple CB's to injury in Qatar, Herdman is going to use Hutchinson there whether we like it or not.  Doneil Henry was selected occasionally to start and come off the bench during qualification but his lack of game time leading up to the World Cup is concerning, despite doing quite well in all his qualification minutes aside from the Mexico game.  The fact that Hutchinson was moved to CB earlier this year when Cornelius was on the bench surely means Hutchinson will be selected to play CB in Qatar over Cornelius.  And the fact that Waterman was not given a single minute in these last two friendlies also leads me to think that if we are in need of a CB, Herdman will go with Hutchinson or else you'd think Herdman would have given Waterman minutes.

14 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I think the reality is that if Hutchinson is fit and we lose a couple CB's to injury in Qatar, Herdman is going to use Hutchinson there whether we like it or not.  Doneil Henry was selected occasionally to start and come off the bench during qualification but his lack of game time leading up to the World Cup is concerning, despite doing quite well in all his qualification minutes aside from the Mexico game.  The fact that Hutchinson was moved to CB earlier this year when Cornelius was on the bench surely means Hutchinson will be selected to play CB in Qatar over Cornelius.  And the fact that Waterman was not given a single minute in these last two friendlies also leads me to think that if we are in need of a CB, Herdman will go with Hutchinson or else you'd think Herdman would have given Waterman minutes.

It was hard watching Hutch in the Champions League last year.  Those are the level of players we are talking. And he was fit and in his position. 

Kennedy can play a couple spots at the back as well.

36 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It was hard watching Hutch in the Champions League last year.  Those are the level of players we are talking. And he was fit and in his position. 

Hard in the sense that he struggled? Besiktas struggled as a whole I seem to recall.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They did and he did. Unfortunately.

Okay cool. That's what I thought you meant and that's what I remember too. Playing with a struggling team in Champions League can make you look your age. Maybe that was the case with Hutch. However, when I watched him in Edmonton against Mexico, a world cup caliber team, he played very well and looked like he was in his early 30s. 

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Okay cool. That's what I thought you meant and that's what I remember too. Playing with a struggling team in Champions League can make you look your age. Maybe that was the case with Hutch. However, when I watched him in Edmonton against Mexico, a world cup caliber team, he played very well and looked like he was in his early 30s. 

He was behind on a few goals, the Jude Bellingham one in the opener is the one I remember clearest. 

He did dig it out for Edmonton.  

I guess opposition striker pace is slightly down the list of our challenges (with the exception of Belgium depending on who's healthy) but Hutch was a centre back for our two qualifying losses if I remember correctly.

I would really like him to play his position if he is able to come on.  As it's not like we are stacked in midfield either.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He was behind on a few goals, the Jude Bellingham one in the opener is the one I remember clearest. 

He did dig it out for Edmonton.  

I guess opposition striker pace is slightly down the list of our challenges (with the exception of Belgium depending on who's healthy) but Hutch was a centre back for our two qualifying losses if I remember correctly.

I would really like him to play his position if he is able to come on.  As it's not like we are stacked in midfield either.

100% agree.  Just based on the information in front of us.  That would be my guess as to what happens if Vitoria and/or Johnston are unable to play.  Cornelius and Waterman have not featured this year when available and rather Herdman has chosen to use Doneil and Hutchinson at CB or switch formations to utlize Laryea or someone else instead of a direct replacement with Waterman or Cornelius.

At this point, I'm just hoping we can have this debate in a month and try to stay healthy before Qatar as I continue to watch superstars drop out of contention with injuries every week.

12 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I remember him looking geriatric against Bellingham and Bellingham last year isn't the level of Belgium and Croatia's mid.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:30 PM, SthMelbRed said:

We wish. The Ukrainian and Cypriot first divisions both have teams regularly qualify to European competitions and are miles ahead of CPL. For context, Wesley Timoteo and that kid who played for Valour and transferred to Chile both played in the 2nd division in Cyprus. 

Tyler Attardo now in the regional French fifth tier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Attardo

Having said that think it's important to remember that the Cypriot club that Doneil Henry played for is one of a handful of relatively well supported ones:

https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/archive/cyp/avecyp19.htm

and imports on the smaller lower division clubs somewhere like Cyprus are very much expected to be ringers. NSL teams in southern Ontario used to do something similar back in day bringing in a few imports on fully professional deals to strengthen a locally recruited semi-professional roster.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

If he was good enough to be a stud in CPL he wouldn't be struggling to get minutes in the French 5th tier.

I'd argue he was on his way. 6 goals in a new team and new league as a 17 year old. Had he stayed at Valour I think he would have kept improving. Instead he's bounced around since then.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

If he was good enough to be a stud in CPL he wouldn't be struggling to get minutes in the French 5th tier.

It is more likely he arrived injured, he didn’t appear on the list for any announced squads leading up.