Doneil Henry

Coramoor

Just now, Watchmen said:

The thing about Henry is that he always makes the brutal mistakes at critical moments of big games. So Halifax won't have anything to worry about. 😉

I think of that Norm MacDonald bit about what a bad idea designated drivers is ... you're sober in the bar with a bunch of drunks and think, "please don't take a wild swing at me!"

Doneil, try to hold back with those wild lunges.

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

I know youre having a bit of fun but I never understood the hate of the brotherhood. Whenever we dont like a player, we say hes only picked for the brotherhood. However, in almost all cirucmstances where a better player is clearly available, they are chosen. During qualifying who else would have replaced Henry? 

Henry has never gotten any special treatment. He performed his role to the standard we needed in WCQ (when we had no other options) and wasnt part of the WC squad. Is there a single call up that was undeserved? If so, when and who would be a better option? 

People hate on brym but he wasnt selected for the WC. However, in the GC JRR was put on before brym in the quarters. Does that not signal that Brym isnt getting special treatment. 

Fraser didnt make the GC squad until staq dropped out. He was pretty much our only player with the DM profile available to us to call up after staq. 

MAK has dropped out on the CMNT scene which again signals that the brotherhood isnt the be all end all. 

I mean, which players are supposed to be dropped and which players should replace them. Surely we arent advocating for akinola to replace brym. 

Like I've said in the past, it's a balance. Of course there has to be team cohesion, but there have absolutely been more deserving players overlooked in name of the brotherhood. That's wrong.

I will give Henry credit, though. Telling Herdman to give his spot to another player pre-WC selection was the right thing. 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Easy: Arfield and Choiniere in place of Wotherspoon and Fraser.

I don't hate the brotherhood.  I just eye-roll at the silliness of the term and idea.  And I dislike the predictability of the unmerited selections.  CANMNT should be the best players at the best positions, not based on their Myers-Briggs assessment results. 

You pick one game where Brym came on after JRR to make a point?  Brym still played more than JRR in the tournament. 

Did Brym show us anything in those minutes or in any previous tournaments to convince us he belongs there?  Is Ugbo who is sitting at home not a better choice than Brym?

Choiniere is one example that I acknowledged. He could have been selected for sure. However, thats one example in all of herdmans time as CMNT coach. 

However, youre not in reality if you think arfield should have been selected. The squad consisted of a core leadership group to help keep the continuity of tactical understanding, attitudes, and expectations high while also blooding in youngsters. Arfield is retired and has issues with the squad. He wouldnt provide any value since theres no chance he can be a guy for the next world cup and he was dropped specifically for his lack of ability to be in the leadership group.  

Can you think of any other examples? Perhaps an example with our A squad in meaningful games. 

The predictability has to do with the lack of depth for CMNT. JRR is in his first CMNT camp and is trusted to score before brym in the quarters against the USA when his last performance resulted in an own goal. If that isnt putting trust in a youngster, I am not sure what is. 

Ugbo was unavailable because of his club situation. Are you implying herdman rates brym over ugbo? Ugbo gets the A team call up every time before brym as evidenced by the WC call up. So to claim brym is part of the brotherhood but didnt make the world cup is horrible logic. 

waterman, kone, arguably cornelius, zator, Loturi have all broken into our A team in the last couple of windows because of merit. Theres been no other players who earned a spot in prior team selections that earned it. 

Henry, Waterman, MAK are just a few guys who have been dropped because better alternatives became available. 

I think youre clouded about what the brotherhood means. It has nothing to do with only playing the same 23 players. Its about having anyone part of the program buy into a common goal. 

I guess I find it silly that youre reasons for the brotherhood are 
1. No arfield - He is retired from CMNT and his performances are mediocre at best AND hes too old for the next cycle.
2. Brym is brotherhood - yet brym didnt make the WC squad and is below JRR in the depth chart as per the most recent CMNT game. How can he be brotherhood if he got cut from the WC squad.
3. No Ugbo - He's a brotherhood guy more than brym and hes not selected (because of his club situation). This shows the brotherhood is not as rigid as your implying.
4. Henry is brotherhood - the guy who didnt go to the WC and hasnt been called up in over a year with literally zero indications he will be called up again
5. Fraser is brotherhood - the guy who didnt make our A squad in nations league and was called up for staq because hes the only one who plays that position. Arfield and Choiniere have different profiles so its not fair to compare them against each other. (he also played well enough to arguably justify his spot over bombito and loturi....) 
6. Spoony is brotherhood - I mean, fair point. I think choiniere deserves it more. But this is the only example I can think of that isnt easily explainable by a player being injured, unavailable, retired etc. Therefore, one questionable selection is not the same as having a brotherhood that doesnt change.  

5 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Like I've said in the past, it's a balance. Of course there has to be team cohesion, but there have absolutely been more deserving players overlooked in name of the brotherhood. That's wrong.

I will give Henry credit, though. Telling Herdman to give his spot to another player pre-WC selection was the right thing. 

Can you name any examples in the WC squad of more deserving players? 

47 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

The thing about Henry is that he always makes the brutal mistakes at critical moments of big games. So Halifax won't have anything to worry about. 😉

The stats say that this isnt true. 

In the WCQ games he played in, we had a shutout in every single game except 1 goal against vs mexico (he was no longer on the field when they score) and 1 against the USA away. 

Thats 8 games. 1 goal against away to USA. Thats unbelievable stats and surely not a guy to be known for brutal mistakes at critical moments for CMNT.

Happy for Doneil. Thrilled for HFX! Biggest player accquition to date and for me a top 5 signing in the young history of the CanPL. He's struggled with injuries, but he's younger than Edgar, Ledgerwood, Haber, Issey, and Jakovic were when they returned to play in the league. 

Never know with Herdman, but I doubt he gets back into the NT whilst at this level, even if he's killing it. Bombito and McGraw will be ahead of him, as well as Waterman and McNaugton. I don't see Zator playing in the middle of the back 3 at this level, so I will exclude him from this list. 

4 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I had and will continue to maintain that Corbeanu was a huge miss.

I love corbeanu but which player does a struggling league 1 player replace. Its absurd to blame the brotherhood on corbeanu's ommision. Davies, buchanan, hoilett, david, ugbo, larin, cav were all way way more deserving than him for a WC call up. Maybe theres an argument against millar but hardly.   

I can see why you want him included but surely you can look at his competition and see that the guys ahead of him are top players and its not some weird brotherhood bias keeping him off the field.  

18 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

The stats say that this isnt true. 

In the WCQ games he played in, we had a shutout in every single game except 1 goal against vs mexico (he was no longer on the field when they score) and 1 against the USA away. 

Thats 8 games. 1 goal against away to USA. Thats unbelievable stats and surely not a guy to be known for brutal mistakes at critical moments for CMNT.

You're looking at one good stretch of games. And that's why he keeps getting signed. But as someone who watched him for a number of years with the Whitecaps and with the pre-WC Canada team, he would also make some of the worst blunders at the worst times. Unforced OGs. Misplayed passes leading to goals. Overly aggressive defending at bizarre times.

From the perspective of a long time veteran who always showed up for Canada, it was a shame he missed out on the WC. But from the perspective of having him actually out on the field during crucial moments, I don't think we missed anything. 

11 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I love corbeanu but which player does a struggling league 1 player replace. Its absurd to blame the brotherhood on corbeanu's ommision. Davies, buchanan, hoilett, david, ugbo, larin, cav were all way way more deserving than him for a WC call up. Maybe theres an argument against millar but hardly.   

I can see why you want him included but surely you can look at his competition and see that the guys ahead of him are top players and its not some weird brotherhood bias keeping him off the field.  

He was at a Championship side at the time, before Kone even made it to the same league -- and they are the same age. But no disrespect to Kone, as he is an outstanding young player. 

Fraser, meanwhile, was and still is playing second-division Belgium. And Kaye was bouncing around MLS. Both guys have nowhere near the ceiling that Corbeanu does and they are much older. 

You can make the position argument, but even so, Corbeanu should have been tested in a CAM role to replace Kaye. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

6 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

You're looking at one good stretch of games. And that's why he keeps getting signed. But as someone who watched him for a number of years with the Whitecaps and with the pre-WC Canada team, he would also make some of the worst blunders at the worst times. Unforced OGs. Misplayed passes leading to goals. Overly aggressive defending at bizarre times.

From the perspective of a long time veteran who always showed up for Canada, it was a shame he missed out on the WC. But from the perspective of having him actually out on the field during crucial moments, I don't think we missed anything. 

I totally understand and agree with your opinion on a broader level. I was just referring to his WCQ campaign where alot of people consider his selection to be brotherhood based when in reality, he was our only option and he had an unbelievable stretch of games that warranted his call up. 

7 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

He was at a Championship side at the time, before Kone even made it to the same league -- and they are the same age. But no disrespect to Kone, as he an outstanding young player. 

Fraser, meanwhile, was and still is playing second-division Belgium. And Kaye was bouncing around MLS. Both guys have nowhere near the ceiling that Corbeanu does and they are much older. 

You can make the position argument, but even so, Corbeanu should have been tested in a CAM role to replace Kaye. 

Corbeanu was on loan at sheffield wednesday and was later recalled and sent to MK dons. Both league 1 sides at the time. of the WC. He was also not really consistently starting in league 1 so youre facts are wrong. Kone has gotten way more minutes in the league above corbeanu. 

Fraser and Kaye are completely different players. Thats like saying we should drop vitoria for ugbo. We had an injured staq, oso, wotherspoon and atiba in CM and you think we should have dropped our only 2 fit CM's for a winger? The squad needs balance. 

As for Cam... MAK is not a CAM so again its a really weird comparison. We also didnt play with a CAM in our formation so who would we drop from oujr starting 11 for corbeanu to try a new position for the first time against modric, kovacic and brozovic? His skillset is very one dimensional and hes criticized for not passing. To test him in the position where your main job is to pass seems very counterintuitive. 

Edited by Bigandy

5 hours ago, Shway said:

I don't disagree with living in Hamilton Vs Halifax - respectfully.

But for example, Ashtone lives in Toronto but plays in Hamilton. 1 hour commute drive to work and you're living like the average person in the GTA.

So now you're talking about living in Toronto Vs Halifax. Great for the geriatrics, but for the millennials WITH money...I know what I'm picking.

Whoa!  Have you been to Halifax lately?  It’s a vibrant place with lots of young people (many with money).  

11 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Corbeanu was on loan at sheffield wednesday and was later recalled and sent to MK dons. Both league 1 sides at the time. of the WC. He was also not really consistently starting in league 1 so youre facts are wrong. Kone has gotten way more minutes in the league above corbeanu. 

If you cannot so much as Google where Corbeanu played at the time of WC, then there really isn't a point in speaking with you. Your comment is laughable. 

3 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

If you cannot so much as Google where Corbeanu played at the time of WC, then there really isn't a point in speaking with you. Your comment is laughable. 

My mistake, I was looking at the season prior and my facts were wrong. However, he was recalled from blackpool in january which is right after the WC. This shows he wasnt in form for blackpool either. A return of 3 goals and lack of first team minutes is hardly a justifiable reason to drop one of our better attackers. However, to claim my comments are laughable instead of directly acknowledging my arguments as to why Theo is not suited for CAM or why its nonsense to drop our only 2 fit CMs to try Theo in a new position against the best midfield in the world is really sensitive. I'd much rather engage with you over the squad/CMNT instead of getting into some pathetic little squabble. 

21 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

My mistake, I was looking at the season prior and my facts were wrong. However, he was recalled from blackpool in january which is right after the WC. This shows he wasnt in form for blackpool either. A return of 3 goals and lack of first team minutes is hardly a justifiable reason to drop one of our better attackers. However, to claim my comments are laughable instead of directly acknowledging my arguments as to why Theo is not suited for CAM or why its nonsense to drop our only 2 fit CMs to try Theo in a new position against the best midfield in the world is really sensitive. I'd much rather engage with you over the squad/CMNT instead of getting into some pathetic little squabble. 

I don't have time to engage in a long-form discussion at the moment. You claimed Kone played more Championship minutes than Corbeanu. On this, you are correct -- however, not by much (1,021 to 843). Corbeanu made more appearances, as well as scored three goals. Kone has yet to open his account. 

Regarding Corbeanu at CAM, please re-read my comment. I said we should have tested him in that role -- not inject him as a CAM at WC vs Croatia.

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Whoa!  Have you been to Halifax lately?  It’s a vibrant place with lots of young people (many with money).  

Not recently! The last time I was there was almost 10 years ago. So forgive my ignorance. 
However, I've been wanting to take the wife and son, but our vacations always end up going south to some all-inclusive resort (after 3 this year I'm sick of it).

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The guy posts like he's never left his parents bungalow in some middle class Toronto neighbourhood.

lol....old prejudiced man, who always borders the line of discrimination. 

But I actually live in a lower-class neighborhood in the north of Toronto in my mom's apartment (Dad has been in jail since I was 6). You've probably heard of the infamous Jane and Finch strip, yea that's where I'm currently at! (hope this helps you have a clear idea about me 🙃). 

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

lol....old prejudiced man, who always borders the line of discrimination. 

But I actually live in a lower-class neighborhood in the north of Toronto in my mom's apartment (Dad has been in jail since I was 6). You've probably heard of the infamous Jane and Finch strip, yea that's where I'm currently at! (hope this helps you have a clear idea about me 🙃). 

I'm not the one who insulted Halifax with a snob post about Toronto, which effectively pointed in the exact opposite direction of what was intended.

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm not the one who insulted Halifax with a snob post about Toronto, which effectively pointed in the exact opposite direction of what was intended.

....snob? insulted? Maybe the comment about "geriatrics", which I admitted to as being ignorant. But I didn't personally insult any Haligonians.
However, I still stand by my theory that "millennials with money are more than likely to prefer living in Toronto than Halifax". 

Anyways glad Henry ended up somewhere other than Forge.
I'm going to ask Patrice how they pulled that off.

Edited by Shway

8 hours ago, Shway said:

....snob? insulted? Maybe the comment about "geriatrics", which I admitted to as being ignorant. But I didn't personally insult any Haligonians.
However, I still stand by my theory that "millennials with money are more than likely to prefer living in Toronto than Halifax". 

Anyways glad Henry ended up somewhere other than Forge.
I'm going to ask Patrice how they pulled that off.

Millennials with Money sounds like a reality show that my wife would watch, and I'd just immediately leave the room without saying anything. 

Edited by Califax