Doneil Henry

Coramoor

4 minutes ago, Big_M said:

obviously on a guaranteed contract so sits until a team claims him off waivers...gets paid either way

Exactly. I don’t know why people assume he’s washed and headed for CPL. He’s on 430K and took up an international spot. Minny is trying to bring in Pukki.

At a lower price point or on a Canadian team, Doneil is still an MLS backup. 

From the Minnesota United subreddit:“He played for the twos up in Blaine about a month ago. If I recall he put in over half a game and looked extremely skilled compared to the other players and captained the squad.”

”It was a good signing with Dibassy injured and before Tapias was signed, but with the later playing great and the former about to come back, he is expendable. Shame he was injured and never got to win a spot”

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, jordan said:

Everyone’s shock when Forge have the cap space to do this

Hey man if it means keeping good players in the league rather than going elsewhere... I'm for it.

He ends up at York or Forge, and you just gotta accept the reality that "high profile" players won't want to end up in Winnipeg or Halifax - no disrespect.

24 minutes ago, Shway said:

Hey man if it means keeping good players in the league rather than going elsewhere... I'm for it.

He ends up at York or Forge, and you just gotta accept the reality that "high profile" players won't want to end up in Winnipeg or Halifax - no disrespect.

Hey, Halifax isn’t the worst city in the world to spend a summer playing soccer in. If I had my pick on moving there or Hamilton, I mean…

not that it doesn’t make sense for him to play somewhere around Toronto in any case, but I think Halifax has Hamilton beat in terms of living conditions.

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Hey, Halifax isn’t the worst city in the world to spend a summer playing soccer in. If I had my pick on moving there or Hamilton, I mean…

not that it doesn’t make sense for him to play somewhere around Toronto in any case, but I think Halifax has Hamilton beat in terms of living conditions.

I don't disagree with living in Hamilton Vs Halifax - respectfully.

But for example, Ashtone lives in Toronto but plays in Hamilton. 1 hour commute drive to work and you're living like the average person in the GTA.

So now you're talking about living in Toronto Vs Halifax. Great for the geriatrics, but for the millennials WITH money...I know what I'm picking.

23 minutes ago, Shway said:

But for example, Ashtone lives in Toronto but plays in Hamilton. 1 hour commute drive to work and you're living like the average person in the GTA.

So now you're talking about living in Toronto Vs Halifax. Great for the geriatrics, but for the millennials WITH money...I know what I'm picking.

Can you live comfortably in Toronto on a CPL salary? I mean, I assume Henry has some sort of property in the city being he's from there and has been a professional player for over a decade now. If I was from Toronto, I'd probably try my best to play in or around the city for those reasons though. I'm sure Forge and York players find a way.

Now if I was Doneil Henry on the other hand...

21 minutes ago, RS said:

*Ahem*

Curious to see how he fares in CPL. Was a decent MLS player not a very long time ago, so I feel like his performance will be a good tell of how the CPL has developed.

24 minutes ago, costarg said:

So does this give Herdman the excuse to reinstate and play him again?  #Brotherhood #Herdman #Favourites

I know youre having a bit of fun but I never understood the hate of the brotherhood. Whenever we dont like a player, we say hes only picked for the brotherhood. However, in almost all cirucmstances where a better player is clearly available, they are chosen. During qualifying who else would have replaced Henry? 

Henry has never gotten any special treatment. He performed his role to the standard we needed in WCQ (when we had no other options) and wasnt part of the WC squad. Is there a single call up that was undeserved? If so, when and who would be a better option? 

People hate on brym but he wasnt selected for the WC. However, in the GC JRR was put on before brym in the quarters. Does that not signal that Brym isnt getting special treatment. 

Fraser didnt make the GC squad until staq dropped out. He was pretty much our only player with the DM profile available to us to call up after staq. 

MAK has dropped out on the CMNT scene which again signals that the brotherhood isnt the be all end all. 

I mean, which players are supposed to be dropped and which players should replace them. Surely we arent advocating for akinola to replace brym. 

5 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Is there a single call up that was undeserved? If so, when and who would be a better option? 

Easy: Arfield and Choiniere in place of Wotherspoon and Fraser.

23 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I know youre having a bit of fun but I never understood the hate of the brotherhood.

I don't hate the brotherhood.  I just eye-roll at the silliness of the term and idea.  And I dislike the predictability of the unmerited selections.  CANMNT should be the best players at the best positions, not based on their Myers-Briggs assessment results. 

6 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

in the GC JRR was put on before brym in the quarters. Does that not signal that Brym isnt getting special treatment. 

You pick one game where Brym came on after JRR to make a point?  Brym still played more than JRR in the tournament. 

Did Brym show us anything in those minutes or in any previous tournaments to convince us he belongs there?  Is Ugbo who is sitting at home not a better choice than Brym?

28 minutes ago, Shway said:

Was he at the Gold Cup? I'm surprised I missed his presence.

No, since he hasn't played forever.  Which is exactly my point, now that he might play in CPL, Herdman might have an excuse to select him again.

44 minutes ago, Shway said:

This is rich from the guy on the board with the most fear of travel posts, always wary of the unknown (scary Latin America!), touting parochial opinions and boasting his small town mindset.

Then he insults Halifax as "geriatric".

Why does it always have to be these guys representing the open minded cosmopolitan values of Toronto?

Back to Doneil. We thought Manjrekar James would boss at Forge, and he's solid but not a huge standout. He can err. I expect similar from Doneil (who should be better than James). We know he can be rash, so his partners at the back matter. He has leadership, which is good with Rampersad and now Morelli back. HFX from what I saw vs VFC is a spirited team, that could fit him well. 

I think the really important point is that CPL is not so huge a step down from MLS that an average MLS player will always and necessarily stand out.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist