Doneil Henry

Coramoor

18 hours ago, ECW said:

It was a mistake to go to TFC. The manager didn’t rate him at all… but really could have used him, in my option. 

Really so the guy has been to how many MLS teams ? I guess all these managers are idiots then . The guy is just not good enough period he has been mainly a bust wherever he has played . Bring him as a cheerleader if they want but please he should not being seeing the field in the World Cup . The guy is maybe a CPL starter at best but don’t think he starts on a good CPL team in my opinion . 

21 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Really so the guy has been to how many MLS teams ? I guess all these managers are idiots then . The guy is just not good enough period he has been mainly a bust wherever he has played . Bring him as a cheerleader if they want but please he should not being seeing the field in the World Cup . The guy is maybe a CPL starter at best but don’t think he starts on a good CPL team in my opinion . 

This is certainly a take.

14 minutes ago, narduch said:

So will we have a member of Unattached FC at the World Cup?

According to the post in the TFC thread he is still under contract with MLS, so he will be sort-of-attached until next season begins. Sort-of-attached FC is a new rival expansion franchise of Unattached FC I guess

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

According to the post in the TFC thread he is still under contract with MLS, so he will be sort-of-attached until next season begins. Sort-of-attached FC is a new rival expansion franchise of Unattached FC I guess

Yikes. I think the fact that he's still under contract but eligible for waivers shows where the TFC coaching staff put him on the depth chart. Scary indeed, and a cause for concern heading into the WC. 

7 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Yikes. I think the fact that he's still under contract but eligible for waivers shows where the TFC coaching staff put him on the depth chart. Scary indeed, and a cause for concern heading into the WC. 

It is only a cause for concern because some people (here and in the coaching staff) seem to value dressing room intangibles over actual playing time.  Waterman 100% should have been given time on the field in the last friendly window to see how he can perform at that level and to start the integration process.  Loyalty to the “brotherhood” should have some sort of finite and rational limitations.   

Exactly a year ago: he's a god, guys.

Hilarious his whole body language. Like a rock on his knee. Then, after getting up and looming over them, he puts his hands behind his back, totally unoffensive. Then Davies gets jawing and Doneil pulls him back, almost dropping him to the ground. The guy is Zeus.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:49 PM, SoccMan said:

Yeah I think he doesn't make the final 26 man squad for Qatar

I get it.  Honestly I do.  He is a character guy.   But the two things that I remember most from him during the qualifying campaign were him leveling Lozano and him being a pain in the ass by the corner flag against Panama.  I just don’t know if that is enough to justify a spot for a guy who couldn’t crack one of the worst defenses in MLS.  If we need an agitator we have other candidates who can also fulfill additional roles (Cav comes to mind).  I just don’t see how a guy who couldn’t get into an MLS side can cut it in the WC.  

I don't think the 23 or 24th guy on the roster should be discussed as if they have a chance of playing meaningful minutes. I can see investing time in the Arfield conversation because he could be an actual contributor if he joined the squad. If your 5th or 6th CB sees time on the pitch your tournament has already gone pear-shaped. If having Henry there makes everyone else feel better, that is actual value beyond what a back-of-the-roster guy is likely to provide on the pitch.

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't think the 23 or 24th guy on the roster should be discussed as if they have a chance of playing meaningful minutes. I can see investing time in the Arfield conversation because he could be an actual contributor if he joined the squad. If your 5th or 6th CB sees time on the pitch your tournament has already gone pear-shaped. If having Henry there makes everyone else feel better, that is actual value beyond what a back-of-the-roster guy is likely to provide on the pitch.

I'd have liked this 10 times if i could have.

18 minutes ago, jonovision said:

At Barça we're playing with our 5th CB. We lost 3 to injury in the last international window, our best in the first minute of a friendly (Araujo).

You absolutely have to take the best possible players. And unlike with a club with limited signings, a NT can take the best it has.

7 hours ago, jonovision said:

....If having Henry there makes everyone else feel better, that is actual value beyond what a back-of-the-roster guy is likely to provide on the pitch.

Maybe but there's also a strong case for taking a younger fringe player like Waterman who has a career that is still trending upwards and might be a factor in 2026 along for the experience. Herdman has a very good shot at still being around for that tournament so may be more likely to take that approach than most World Cup managers would be.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe but there's also a strong case for taking a younger fringe player like Waterman who has a career that is still trending upwards and might be a factor in 2026 along for the experience. Herdman has a very good shot at still being around for that tournament so may be more likely to take that approach than most World Cup managers would be.

I would take Waterman because he is just a better player than Henry. He starts on a playoff team with 2 other Canadian national team starters. 

It is unfortunate we didn’t see Waterman get any minutes during the friendlies. 

Thought we were over unattached fc being anywhere near this setup. Especially at the World Cup. Bring him as a coach if he has that many intangibles. 

I am disappointed in Henry. That spot on a poor TFC team was there to be won ahead of a World Cup. And he was battling against scrubs. 

12 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

I would take Waterman because he is just a better player than Henry. He starts on a playoff team with 2 other Canadian national team starters. 

It is unfortunate we didn’t see Waterman get any minutes during the friendlies. 

Thought we were over unattached fc being anywhere near this setup. Especially at the World Cup. Bring him as a coach if he has that many intangibles. 

I am disappointed in Henry. That spot on a poor TFC team was there to be won ahead of a World Cup. And he was battling against scrubs. 

I am probably overly forgiving with him but I think he is just broken.  When you have as many serious injuries as he has, it takes forever to get up to match fitness.  I look at someone like Andy Carroll similarly.  (I say as he starts with Hoilett today.)

I feel like this discussion has gone in circles, but if Canada is at the point it needs to be playing Henry, do you actually think Waterman would do better in the specific WC in-game environment?  Limited time around the camp, has never played a big game for the national team, let alone at the WC.  Henry can at least check off both those boxes.  Understanding Waterman’s current form is leaps ahead of Henry.  If Henry plays in the WC, it’s not a situation where we will be kicking ourselves that Waterman wasn’t on the field.  If starters like Henry on the practice pitch, dressing room, and it ups their games, he brings much more value than Waterman does to the 2022 team.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

At Barça we're playing with our 5th CB. We lost 3 to injury in the last international window, our best in the first minute of a friendly (Araujo).

You absolutely have to take the best possible players. And unlike with a club with limited signings, a NT can take the best it has.

How many games has Barca played so far this season? Now ask yourself how many games at best will Canada play at the WC? Many - you being one - will claim 3. A few - like myself - claim 4. And then there's @MtlMario's crystal ball that claims 7. You really think we're going to lose a CB for every game we play?

Vitoria

Miller

Kennedy

Cornelius

Waterman

Henry

That was our CB depth chart at the last friendlies. Okay so we remove Henry. Who are we going to put in his place? McNaughton? Really? Yao from Calvary? Didic another CB from the CPL? Sturing?

Edited by Sal333