NCAA Canadian Players Updates 2015

Big_M

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TopDrawer has Callum Irving and Richie Layrea both in the top ten.  NO other CDN in top 100 that I could see.

No CDN freshmen in the top 100.

Also, Layrea listed as a GA target by Top Drawer Soccer: http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/2016-mls-draft:-suggested-ga-targets_aid38194

Will be interesting to see SBI's upcoming Mock MLS Draft.

Chris Nanco scores as Syracuse beat NC State 2-0 in the first game of the ACC tournament.
http://www.cuse.com/news/2015/11/4/MSOC_1104152724.aspx?path=msoccer
<iframe width="673" height="330" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rEMmzgaZ4-g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They will play highly ranked North Carolina in the next round. I noticed that Alex Comsia was starting and playing a regular 90 for NC earlier in the season, but after starting their only loss of the season against Wake Forrest, he hasn't started since.

Tulsa (Quentin Duncan) lost to Notre Dame in the second round after beating SMU in the first round.

Akron (Richie Layrea) destroyed Rutgers 6-1. Layrea had two goals and an assist.

Syracuse (Chris Nanco) beat Dartmouth 2-1.

Coastal Carolina (Sergio Camagro) lost to UNC (Alex Comsia) 2-1. Camagro had an assist.

Seattle (Nick Prasad) beat UCLA 1-0.

Uconn (Kwame Awuah) lost to Indiana. Uconn had earlier beat BC 3-1 in the first round with Awauh getting two goals and an assist. Awuah was also named co-AAC midfielder of the year.

Tulsa (Quentin Duncan) lost to Notre Dame in the second round after beating SMU in the first round.

Akron (Richie Layrea) destroyed Rutgers 6-1. Layrea had two goals and an assist.

Syracuse (Chris Nanco) beat Dartmouth 2-1.

Coastal Carolina (Sergio Camagro) lost to UNC (Alex Comsia) 2-1. Camagro had an assist.

Seattle (Nick Prasad) beat UCLA 1-0.

Uconn (Kwame Awuah) lost to Indiana. Uconn had earlier beat BC 3-1 in the first round with Awauh getting two goals and an assist. Awuah was also named co-AAC midfielder of the year.

There are additional Canadians on Syracuse and Tulsa.

For anyone who follows the NCAA more closely than me, how was Kwame Awuah's season? I think he was injured for a bunch of it, was he not? 

Not sure about the injuries. I'd say his season was "good". Not a GA candidate, my guess would be a late 1st round/ 2nd round pick in the draft.

Awuah and Camargo, at least based on their NCAA numbers, look like borderline MLS guys. They would be great fits for the backbone of a Hamilton NASL club if such a thing existed. Layrea should be looking for a GA contract. It's too bad about Kevon Black and Brody Huitema at Duke, it looks like they've both disappeared at a mediocre program. Huitema was the USSDA leading scorer at U-18 level, that's the same pedigree as Caleb Clarke and Dario Zanatta.

Awuah and Camargo, at least based on their NCAA numbers, look like borderline MLS guys. They would be great fits for the backbone of a Hamilton NASL club if such a thing existed. Layrea should be looking for a GA contract. It's too bad about Kevon Black and Brody Huitema at Duke, it looks like they've both disappeared at a mediocre program. Huitema was the USSDA leading scorer at U-18 level, that's the same pedigree as Caleb Clarke and Dario Zanatta.

It's a good thing there are USL 2 teams now. So guys like Huitema don't get a first team contract just for playing well at u18. 

Archived