Canadians abroad: August 21-27, 2015

Big_M

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only mention of Carreiro's play I could find was on the Official Dundee twitter account

@dundeefconline: Greg Stewart comes close from 20 yards after some great build up with Carreiro

most of Scotland was likely watching Celtic set a record of being knocked out of European play four times in 12 months.

But I did find this

@Deeman1893: Positives tonight. Well, Carreiro looked good when he came on. McGowan grafted as usual. Ross very tidy. Julen commanding before injury.

Opare scored in the CCL for DCU.

I know his situation is a bit misty so to say, but I rate him above Lefevre and Vitoria. I think it's safe to call him a starting CB for DC and as such warrants a call up.  He's playing for a team that's very consistent and obviously has a lot of talent. 

I know his situation is a bit misty so to say, but I rate him above Lefevre and Vitoria. I think it's safe to call him a starting CB for DC and as such warrants a call up.  He's playing for a team that's very consistent and obviously has a lot of talent. 

Except he is not a starting CB for DC. He is their 3rd CB and is a backup to Birnbaum, playing Champions League games and when Birnbaum is injured or needs a rest. He did play 90 in their last MLS game but before that was on the bench for their previous 7 MLS games. Vittoria on the other hand has been a consistent starter except for a fairly lengthy injury. The Union's defence which is their weakness this year has stabilized since he returned from injury and he was pretty solid in the game against Montreal, probably their best defender and definitely better than his CB partner. He was also the player they assigned to Drogba on set plays. He looked to me like a Jakovic level player, ie. nothing spectacular but a solid MLS starter. I personally don't want Vittoria to play for us but he would be at the level of Edgar, Henry and Jakovic if he does. Oppong I would put more in the category of the Ouimette, Lefevre, James of guys with potential but currently depth players at CB. Which is not to say he should not be called up to see if he is at the top of that list but I don't think he has received Canadian citizenship yet although he has applied.

Opare has 14 starts against Vitorias 12. In the league that is, not Open Cup (2) nor Champions League (2). Maybe he's nr 3 on their charts but he's contributed more to a better team.

Both of course should be called in at some point (if possible), if only to deepen the pool a bit. 

I believe Opare has his citizenship and applied for a passport. He's stated he wants to play for Canada.

I think there was also a potential fifa eligibility issue... I don't think he lived in Canada for either two years before the age of 18 or five years total. I think he was going to try to argue that he had a permanent address in Canada while going to University in the states.

There was a MLSsoccer.com article in May which stated that he had apply for citizenship and wanted to play for Canada, and didn't think he would have an eligibility issue. However his Wikipedia page suggests that he's only eligible for the US or Ghana and he moved to Canada in 2008, and moved back to the USA in 2009, And I remember reading somewhere that he still have to get the approval.

http://www.goal.com/en-gh/news/4389/ghana/2015/05/08/11538742/kofi-opare-snubs-ghana-for-canada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kofi_Opare

The MLS soccer.com article is perhaps A little bullish, suggesting that he is one of the best defenders in the league, And that on the Canadian team he would be playing alongside fellow Canadian of Ghanian descent, Nana Attakora. I certainly question the objectivity of both of those statements.

That being said however, I would certainly love to see him in the Canadian camp. Any centre back that can start more then half his team's games on a supporters Shield chasing team would certainly be in the mix to start for Canada, especially given that he's still only 24 years old, which is young for defender.

I think there was also a potential fifa eligibility issue... I don't think he lived in Canada for either two years before the age of 18 or five years total. I think he was going to try to argue that he had a permanent address in Canada while going to University in the states.

There was a MLSsoccer.com article in May which stated that he had apply for citizenship and wanted to play for Canada, and didn't think he would have an eligibility issue. However his Wikipedia page suggests that he's only eligible for the US or Ghana and he moved to Canada in 2008, and moved back to the USA in 2009, And I remember reading somewhere that he still have to get the approval.

http://www.goal.com/en-gh/news/4389/ghana/2015/05/08/11538742/kofi-opare-snubs-ghana-for-canada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kofi_Opare

The MLS soccer.com article is perhaps A little bullish, suggesting that he is one of the best defenders in the league, And that on the Canadian team he would be playing alongside fellow Canadian of Ghanian descent, Nana Attakora. I certainly question the objectivity of both of those statements.

That being said however, I would certainly love to see him in the Canadian camp. Any centre back that can start more then half his team's games on a supporters Shield chasing team would certainly be in the mix to start for Canada, especially given that he's still only 24 years old, which is young for defender.

I confused "applied for citizenship" with "applied for passport."

Archived