Nik Ledgerwood - 12 years a pro in Germany

Ed_S

• 3 weeks later...

I think what might get the national team to the next level will be,  having more players playing at higher levels, it's just going to be tough like we saw in qualifying for Brazil to even get to the Hex without more quality players, I don't think it isn't possible making it to even the Hex with this present crop of players, however, going forward looking to the future hopefully Canada can start producing more players playing in higher level leagues than they have now, that's what will be the difference going forward . Just look at the difference Attiba  makes to this team when he is on the field he just looks like a different class of player than the rest and look where he plays, he is a regular starter in a pretty good league, could you imagine if we had even another 3 or 4 guys regularly playing at that level of a league like Attiba. I do appreciate the work and commitment of the rest of the players that can't be overlooked, however, I'm hoping that in another 10 years we have more player playing at the very least the level that Attiba is playing, because if in 10 years time if we still have to rely on most of our players playing in 2 and 3 tier type leagues then I can't see this national team program being any better than it is now, the quality of players we are producing needs to improve and where these players play their pro soccer needs to improve and I'm hoping with all the changes going on in youth soccer in this country presently that things will change for the better. Just look at the basketball program look how they are doing now mainly because of all the players they have who are playing in the NBA, when they had no choice but to play with players playing in lower leagues they mainly struggled now with all these players playing NBA ball they look like world beaters.

Archived