Gold Cup - Canada v Costa Rica - Pre Game thread

Califax

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the CRC vs SLV draw theres new life into this game. All in their hands. you win, you go through.

CRC did not look like the WC version of CRC, tehy are beatable especially if the home field advantage can be what it should be, an advantage.

Every team we've faced has been beatable and we've disappointed getting out played in all of them. Now we face a CR with a must win or go home mentality and I don't like that. 

It's looking like Group A's 3rd place team will have no more than 2 points so it's still possible to get through with a draw.  Just don't tell Floro that

Honduras will beat haiti so they will have 4 points and Panama can draw the US, The way the U.S has been playing it wouldn't shock anyone if it ends up in a draw, especially now that US has qualified and they don't have any pressure to win. Meanwhile Panama does.

what are we expecting for attendance? 

I have no idea but if there's 15K Canada fans in the stands I'd be pleased. I gotta think there will be tons of El Sal and Jamaican fans.

Hopefully the El Salvador and Jamaica fans will stay and help support Canada?

are you staying at a hotel? if so i'm sure you can ask the front desk to print the pdf if you email it to them.. or you can use the business centre to print the tickets.

failing that there is always kinkos.. or a library....or i'm sure a V will print for you if you're going to be at the pre-game.

For TFC matches, I have had them scan a ticket on my phone when needed.

Hopefully the El Salvador and Jamaica fans will stay and help support Canada?

The JAM-SLV game goes first and CRC is on 2, we are on 1

If JAM wins, they will be on 7 and SLV 2 --- SLV fans would be cheering for CRC and JAM wouldn't care.

If SLV wins, they will be on 5 and JAM 4 --- SLV and JAM fans might both cheer for us, but a CAN-CRC draw suits them both better.

If they draw, JAM will be on 5 and SLV 3 --- again a CAN-CRC draw suits both sides best

Viewed from the standpoint of the table, I don't see us picking up fans.  Maybe if the JAM or SLV fans are Jamaican-Canadians or Salvadoran Canadians we might pick up some support.  Not holding my breath though.

I think its kinda pathetic that we have get out the calculators to see how wr can get into the quarters. If we didn't get to the quarters by merit alone, then we don't belong. In this last game, I trulu hope Floro goes all attack. If he goes for anothet defensive shell, then he clearly isn't managerial material to move us forward, even one step. Its a direct qualification on thr line. If the Nats play there heart out and miraculouslu tie Costa Rica, then big cajones to them. If they lose but played there heart out, we can say they gave there all, but left it on the field.

I think its kinda pathetic that we have get out the calculators to see how wr can get into the quarters. If we didn't get to the quarters by merit alone, then we don't belong. In this last game, I trulu hope Floro goes all attack. If he goes for anothet defensive shell, then he clearly isn't managerial material to move us forward, even one step. Its a direct qualification on thr line. If the Nats play there heart out and miraculouslu tie Costa Rica, then big cajones to them. If they lose but played there heart out, we can say they gave there all, but left it on the field.

Not pathetic, this has been really tight group so far. 3 draws and 1-0 game with the goal in the 90+ min.

Although I agree, Canada has to just go for it on Tuesday. 2 up top.

The JAM-SLV game goes first and CRC is on 2, we are on 1

If JAM wins, they will be on 7 and SLV 2 --- SLV fans would be cheering for CRC and JAM wouldn't care.

If SLV wins, they will be on 5 and JAM 4 --- SLV and JAM fans might both cheer for us, but a CAN-CRC draw suits them both better.

If they draw, JAM will be on 5 and SLV 3 --- again a CAN-CRC draw suits both sides best

Viewed from the standpoint of the table, I don't see us picking up fans.  Maybe if the JAM or SLV fans are Jamaican-Canadians or Salvadoran Canadians we might pick up some support.  Not holding my breath though.

What I'm getting about in a roundabout way is most at BMO on Tuesday will be currently living in Canada. Very much doubt too many are making the trip from Jamaica, thought there will be 7,000 from Jamaica in the stands. So hopefully Jamaica wins and everyone left in the stadium stays to lift their home nation.

I mean I'm pretty damn stoked for this still.  Yes its the MNT which usually means it will end in horrible, heartwrenching defeat but when's the last time we had a true 'win or go home' match on Canadian soil?  

Scenarios, for the record (obviously we are eliminated if we lose).  The first two are the only ones that matter unless you believe in some stupid shit going down.   Yes if Canada scores like 6 goals some of this changes slightly.

Canada wins

2nd in the group if:

- JAM beats or ties ESV

- ESV beats JAM and the combined victory margins of CAN and ESV are at least 3

3rd in the group (advance) if:

- ESV beats JAM and both victories are by a one goal margin

Eliminated if:

- ESV beats JAM and both victories are by a one goal margin

- PAN beats USA

- HON/HAI does not end in a draw

- T&T beats or draws CUB

- GUA takes four points in their next two matches (MEX & CUB), with at least victory margin of 2+ goals

Canada draws

3rd in the group (advance) if:

- JAM beats ESV by a 2+ goal margin

- USA beats PAN by a 2+ goal margin

- HON/HAI do not draw

OR

- JAM beats ESV by a 2+ goal margin

- MEX beats GUA

- T&T beats CUB

- GUA/T&T draw

Eliminated

- Everything else

The really  interesting thing here is that if Canada does beat Costa Rica, that means that Costa Rica finishes 3rd or 4th in the group depending on what happens with the other game.  

In other words, Costa Rica will also be looking for a result.

Both teams are thinking they are out with a loss.  

The other interesting thing is that we have an advantage and play 2nd.  The Jamaica/El Salvador game will already be in the bag, so both teams will know what result they need going into the game.  For Costa Rica, depending on what happens in group A, it COULD end up that a draw will be enough, and that they will know that going in.  

By the time the game starts, we should have a really good idea of what result needs to happen.

Everyone bring confetti and red/white streamers for pregrame tifo!!!!!!!! We made one large banner and will probably make another tonight. And bring your Canada flags we want to cover the stadium railings in Canada flags. Go in your basement, closets, trunks, attic,etc and find one. 

So with Ledgerwood and Piette out with two yellows, my initial stab at a lineup is,

Canada (4-1-4-1/4-3-3): Stama; Edgar, Hainault, Jakovic, Morgan; Straith; Teibert, JDG, Osorio, Jackson; Larin

Morgan in for de Jong to take advantage of the partisan Toronto crowd, and Osorio in for Piette for the same reason as well. Larin given another opportunity to do something useful, such as make a diagonal run for once off the ball during this tourney, but with Haber ready to come in if needed. Jackson, Akindele or Ricketts all viable options for LW, but Teibert must start at RW for us to have any chance. I thought Edgar's played fullback often in the past, so I have him at RB and Hainault in at CB, but also just as well if it's the other way around.

However, I'd like to see us come out in a 4-2-3-1 formation to acknowledge that we got overrun in central midfield with only 1 DM in the 4-1-4-1 formation the past 2 games. I would slot JDG next to Straith as the 2 DM's to keep a close eye on Bryan Ruiz and Joel Campbell.

What I'd go with

Stamatopoulos

Hainault-Edgar-Jakovic-Morgan

Straith

Jackson-JDG-Osorio-Akindele

Larin

Optimal subs

Larin ---> Ricketts

Jackson ---> Teibert

Third sub dependent on game, any of de Jong, Tissot, Ouimette or (gulp) Bekker

Is your thought that Jackson is out of game shape? Or out of confidence from getting little playing time.

Because there is not one player I want to see get one more than him. He's never scored an international goal at home.

Archived