Gold Cup - Canada v Costa Rica - Pre Game thread

Califax

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The type of support argument is one worth having, the smoke bomb one isn't. That was complete bullshit.

In all the Canada games I've been to I've never seen one where the Voyageurs section almost caused a goal and that's exactly what we did with the smoke bomb. I was standing close to the front and couldn't see anything which means Kenny probably had the exact same view from goal while we were DEFENDING A FREAKING CORNER KICK! I don't think it's too drastic to say that lighting off the smoke bomb at that moment almost knocked us out of the Gold Cup 45 minutes early. When we are at a Canada game there are plenty of reasons why we are there to have fun, to get others involved, to spend time with friends, but for 90 minutes our number 1 priority is to help the team on the field. I don't really care how good or bad that atmosphere was Tuesday night on the whole I think our effect on the team that game was a net negative because of that ridiculously timed smoke bomb. 

I don't care if you can name every player and their club team or if you don't know any of the players, if you are there supporting the team in the section I'm happy. But please at least pay attention to what is going on on the pitch and just have some common sense. 

Almost glad I wasn't in the south end as the offside flag would have been crushing.  I'm always glancing at the ref/linesman in those situations and have to stand there with a glum look on my face while everyone around me is going nuts/throwing beer

After the game Tuesday, I am now in possession of an Ontario flag. I don't know if the person who brought the provincial/territorial flags (which was a great idea BTW) was expecting to collect them after the game, but I assume it's kosher to hang onto it until the WCQ round 3 home game?

After the game Tuesday, I am now in possession of an Ontario flag. I don't know if the person who brought the provincial/territorial flags (which was a great idea BTW) was expecting to collect them after the game, but I assume it's kosher to hang onto it until the WCQ round 3 home game?

I'm glad you posted. Mike was expecting to get the flags back but I'm sure if you take it to the WCQ in Sept he won't mind. However he is in Edmonton. Perhaps you could arrange to get it back to him somehow. He goes by Sport Shaman on the forum.

Just curious, is the "Who's not jumping is not Canadian" type chant from another context? Is that translated from something Italian tifosi do perhaps? I don't think it is English. Want to know as I hear it in Spain a lot esp in derby atmospheres and would like to know if it is common in other footie cultures. 

Just curious, is the "Who's not jumping is not Canadian" type chant from another context? Is that translated from something Italian tifosi do perhaps? I don't think it is English. Want to know as I hear it in Spain a lot esp in derby atmospheres and would like to know if it is common in other footie cultures. 

It seems common. I know that it's done by Impact games and it's done in France also. Too many people use that chant so I do think that it would be hard to know who was first.

There sure was a lot of acrimony between supporters after this game. Let me give peacemaking a little go -

With a supporters group that encompasses so many people from different regions and who support different clubs, it's going to be very difficult to please all of the people all of the time. So people are going to have to be pretty tolerant. This includes not only when people aren't supporting exactly the way you'd like but also when people are being critical. We need to give people some benefit of the doubt and some respect even if they do things we strongly disagree with. In the end, our differences are small compared to what we share.

The Inebriatti guys have taken a lot of heat but it is hard to fault them on their passion.

There have been a number of people that have criticized the variety of chants and the fact that they're TFC-centric. This is just a reality. It's no insult. The problem is, to add to the repertoire takes a great deal of organization and courage. This is much easier in a group of 20 or 30 and very difficult in the large numbers we had in Toronto on Tuesday. Regardless, it would be a good thing if people tried to do some new stuff in September. Simply put, it's much more fun with a greater repertoire.

As per usual, Eli, Bobby, and Peter were great. All respect. I noticed some issues in 113 being able to hear other chants. Often stuff would start and we would get behind simply because we wouldn't be able to hear. Odd acoustics.

I recall reading about the banner some were making but then was away from the forum for several days. I'm certain the people organizing the flag TIFO didn't know about the banner. Apologies for not relaying the info as the two could have easily been done simultaneously. I had the opportunity but completely forgot about the banner. Mea culpa.

For those involved with the smoke, it would be wise to rethink your strategy. The spontaneity aspect that someone stated is understandable, but certainly you can understand that interfering with our own keeper is something to be avoided at all costs.

It's unfortunate that such a great atmosphere has led to a great deal of conflict. It doesn't need to be like that. People just need to give over a little bit.

@ Footix  - Thanks for mentioning that you ended up with one of the flags. We purchased the whole set during WWC and were hoping to keep them together. I did end up with most of them after the game but not all of them. Hang onto it for now please and I will PM you once we have a need for it.

I recall reading about the banner some were making but then was away from the forum for several days. I'm certain the people organizing the flag TIFO didn't know about the banner. Apologies for not relaying the info as the two could have easily been done simultaneously. I had the opportunity but completely forgot about the banner. Mea culpa.

This is part my fault too. I posted about the banner but then we just decided to do it because we were running out of time and couldn't find a place in city to paint to let people know enough in advance. I might be away for WCQ round 3 but if we get to round 4 we plan on making 4 or 5 long banners so we will try to keep everyone updated. 

Too be honest. It would be nice to do a red and white alternating card tifo,either horizontal,checkered, or vertical for round 4 but I don't think there is enough people willing to pitch in and execute that type of task.  Something like this ...coreografia-savona-2.jpgvicenza%20inter%20jpeg.JPG

Too be honest. It would be nice to do a red and white alternating card tifo,either horizontal,checkered, or vertical for round 4 but I don't think there is enough people willing to pitch in and execute that type of task. Something like this ...coreografia-savona-2.jpgvicenza%20inter%20jpeg.JPG

Always thought card TIFOs would be cool. Expensive though. Would be worth planning in advance and getting people to chip in.

I was one of the guys in 113 holding your banner btw. Too bad it didn't come true.

Teibert was the one player that clearly and obviously deserved more minutes this tournament, even more so when he was so effective from RW, where Ricketts was just donkeying it up the entire tourney as usual. I say this because I know a lot of people clamoured for Teibert and Oso to start, but I thought Oso was pretty anonymous when finally given the chance. Hope he can continue to develop though.

Also, I noticed a few people put down Henry as the RB for their best Canada XI. Can't agree with that one at all, I know he's a great tackler and all but his passing and offensive awareness is and has always been incredibly crap, he was literally a turnover black hole when he played RB in that friendly vs Colombia. He can only play as a physical CB next to another CB that can handle and pass the ball, such as Jakovic.

I mentioned to Tuscan after the game, I can't believe we forgot to bust out the Larin Flintstones song, damn, biggest regret of the game lol. Posting these stuff pretty late but it's been a busy week.

I mentioned to Tuscan after the game, I can't believe we forgot to bust out the Larin Flintstones song, damn, biggest regret of the game lol.

I was thinking this as well, during the match. But people have to know it in order to have it catch on.

Edit - we did the DeRo Scarborough chant, which I loved.

Archived