Gold Cup - Canada v Costa Rica - Pre Game thread

Califax

You liked smoking out our own keeper on a corner kick!?!?

I didn't see any flares - but the smoke was provided by management, not supporters.

I expect after they saw which way the smoke was going to travel (the wind had changed directions from the first match), they put an end to it.

Did you just choose not to read the whole post?  "BUT it would have been perfect in the second half when we were attacking that goal, not at our keeper's back.  "

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The smoke was let go by someone in the 4th or 5th row on the west side of 114, as I stood in row 3 during the first half and had to clear out.  Someone also let off red smoke in the first row but at least that travelled backwards as it should (well, should when there's actually a reason to let off a smoke bomb in the first place but I digress). Could it have been 'management?'  I guess, but I'm not exactly sure who that would be for a Canada match.

My blunt assessment of the disconnect between 112/113/east 114 and west 114 is that I really don't care for some guy (who I have to tell that Julian de Guzman didn't retire, and is in fact standing 50 feet in front of him) telling me how to support.  Nor do I need to hear him bitch and moan about how 'shit' the rest of the support is when I'm pretty damn sure the 'shit' ones are the people who come from across the country and travel around the world to watch this team and I'm also pretty confident in saying this guy wouldn't go 30 minutes out of Toronto to watch Canada play.  I must emphasize that it was a very small number (and certainly no one who showed up at the pre-party or anything) but it still detracts from the experience (and along with the smoke is why I moved to the other side of 114 for the second half).

I'm kind of happy there won't be much at BMO after September.  Think it will be good to move away from the TFC-centric stuff that has been going on.

Also I thought all three capos did a great job.  Some stuff is out of their hands.

I was sitting in 106 and saw right in front of me De Jong track back Campbell. He was absolutely dead tired. Guy gave it his all. Also saw teibert try to fire up the crowd when he won a corner. DeGuz wore his heart on his sleeve last night. Osorio was pissed off when he came off. Stama dropped to his knees when he came up for that corner and the final whistle was blown. The boys wanted it. Dont think the coach wanted it though. Just played not to lose. Didn't play to win.

Are you serious about the bold part?  I get from your limitless posts that you are ardently anti-Floro but thinking that he didn't "want it" is ridiculous. Anyone can disagree with the squad selection and strategy all they want but to think the manager wasn't making his decisions with the ultimate success of the team at heart is irrational.

Are you serious about the bold part? I get from your limitless posts that you are ardently anti-Floro but thinking that he didn't "want it" is ridiculous. Anyone can disagree with the squad selection and strategy all they want but to think the manager wasn't making his decisions with the ultimate success of the team at heart is irrational.

Let me correct myself. Dont think the coach wanted the win as much as the players did.

His end goal was to not concede and prepare for wcq. If it meant we got lucky and played more games to prep then great. If not at least we held our shape.

I'm kind of happy there won't be much at BMO after September.  Think it will be good to move away from the TFC-centric stuff that has been going on.

Also I thought all three capos did a great job.  Some stuff is out of their hands.

I think everything you said was spot on.

I too will be pretty happy to have a different location for our November games. It sounds pseudo-masochistic coming from a TFC season seat holder who lives a $10 uber from BMO, but I will glady travel if it means that idiots like that can be replaced with proper supporters elsewhere in the country.

Let me correct myself. Dont think the coach wanted the win as much as the players did.

His end goal was to not concede and prepare for wcq. If it meant we got lucky and played more games to prep then great. If not at least we held our shape.

Surely he wanted the win (last night and in the previous two matches) as much as anyone else.  If there is any criticism of Floro it may with his plan for getting the wins and more importantly the advancement to the quarter finals.  I think it is hugely unfair to suggest that he was playing for the tie and "hoping for luck" to get the win.  I believe his plan is to establish an extremely organized team that takes advantage of the offensive opportunities that will undoubtedly come while minimizing the amount and quality of the opponent's opportunities as much as possible.  This strategy can be debated but thinking that he was only "hoping for luck" to get a win is, in my opinion, crazy.  

Did you just choose not to read the whole post?  "BUT it would have been perfect in the second half when we were attacking that goal, not at our keeper's back.  "

Not sure you point. He said he liked it in the first half too. Yes I read the post.  I've no idea what this is in response to.

Surely he wanted the win (last night and in the previous two matches) as much as anyone else.  If there is any criticism of Floro it may with his plan for getting the wins and more importantly the advancement to the quarter finals.  I think it is hugely unfair to suggest that he was playing for the tie and "hoping for luck" to get the win.  I believe his plan is to establish an extremely organized team that takes advantage of the offensive opportunities that will undoubtedly come while minimizing the amount and quality of the opponent's opportunities as much as possible.  This strategy can be debated but thinking that he was only "hoping for luck" to get a win is, in my opinion, crazy.  

I never said hoping for luck was his "only" strategy. It was definitely a part of it though. It's not unfair at all to suggest he was "hoping for luck" especially when he said himself that was we needed in the pre game presser....

Asked what Canada must do to win on Tuesday, Floro simply answered: “To play well in attack, to make a good pressing (press Costa Rica) and to have luck.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-concacaf-gold-cup-benito-floro-cyle-larin-julian-de-guzman/

The smoke was let go by someone in the 4th or 5th row on the west side of 114, as I stood in row 3 during the first half and had to clear out.  Someone also let off red smoke in the first row but at least that travelled backwards as it should (well, should when there's actually a reason to let off a smoke bomb in the first place but I digress). Could it have been 'management?'  I guess, but I'm not exactly sure who that would be for a Canada match.

Guess it was supporters then. I'm surprised given the quantity of the red. Hopefully someone impressed on them that doing it to our own keeper isn't really the best timing.

I've heard no reports of a move away from BMO. There's been a statement that there'll have to be a couple of games elsewhere given that the March 21-29 2016 fourth round dates are during the next phase of construction at BMO.  And also November 9-17 2015 being iffy (though BMO will have to be available through early December for playoffs - so I don't know why it's a real problem).

But presumably the August  29 to September 2016 games would be back at BMO. And games after that.

Echo that. 

It will be debated back and forth this balance between limiting opposition opportunities vs creating our own but we went 0 goals for vs 1 goal against (in added time) and are bringing home the memmory of some pretty laughable misses by Canada.  Call it ugly if you like but it seems Floro's system got us pretty close.  

People can like it or not but it is what it is.  We're going to have to play a certain way to at least have a chance to miss our opportunities and lament it.

P.S.  There's a story to tell about squad selection and while I'm sure it's not a happy one, damn I want to hear it.  Either Floro doesn't rate certain young fellows quite as highly as they (or others) do or this whole tourney was an exercise in delivery a message (to everyone) about who's the boss.   Too long to explain but I'd rather take the later on a "lesser of two evils" sort of thing.    

I've heard no reports of a move away from BMO. There's been a statement that there'll have to be a couple of games elsewhere given that the March 21-29 2016 fourth round dates are during the next phase of construction at BMO.  And also November 9-17 2015 being iffy (though BMO will have to be available through early December for playoffs - so I don't know why it's a real problem).

But presumably the August  29 to September 2016 games would be back at BMO. And games after that.

Not to be snippy, but you just quoted the exact dates that we will be likely away from BMO (Floro mentioned this)  after saying you had heard no reports about a move away from BMO.

That's what we are talking about.

Not to be snippy, but you just quoted the exact dates that we will be likely away from BMO (Floro mentioned this)  after saying you had heard no reports about a move away from BMO.

That's what we are talking about.

I thought the comment implied a permanent move away from BMO.  Not just a 1-year (or 10-month) gap. Though I thought that was clear from the context of what I wrote. It's not like a year between matches at BMO is unusual. We had 11 months from 2007 to 2008. 24 months from 2008 to 2010 (when the only national team loss at BMO occurred). 23 months from 2012 to 2014.

Yeah I think a full year away from Toronto will be a very good thing.

But not an unusual thing!

Hopefully they go to BC (or Edmonton) in November and then to Montreal in March.

Montreal isn't an option in March - unless they play at Olympic Stadium.  Saputo isn't usable until sometime in May, with no underpitch heating system.  Toronto is touch-and-go in late March with the milder climate and heating system.  

I'm not sure they'd play in this day and age again in Edmonton on artificial. I'd assume that they'd end up at Swangard or Centennial in Victoria in March, unless CSA strongarms them into playing at BC Place on artificial.

Look for hamilton as a dark horse in hosting a match.

Apparently the turf in Hamilton is the closest thing to grass that players have played on.

Coupled with the fact they sold out womens world cup prep match and mens opener vs brazil with pro canadian crowds. Sales for the remaining mens u23 canada matches are also strong.

I agree vancouver is the front runner though. Not sure what facility theyd choose.

EDIT: lets win our third round tie first

I didn't see any flares - but the smoke was provided by management, not supporters.

I expect after they saw which way the smoke was going to travel (the wind had changed directions from the first match), they put an end to it.

The smoke was let off by a TFC Supporters group called The Inebriatti. You can check their twitter feed, they even have a cute "nopyronoparty" hashtag. They seemed (to me) to be more concerned about making a spectacle of themselves than anything else, I mean why else would you smoke out the end you're defending? It's just an unfathomably stupid thing to do. I suppose the one good thing is that they don't seem to travel too far from the "Greater BMO Field Area"; I mean they weren't seen anywhere in Hamilton on the weekend, where we had two Canadian teams playing.

I'll echo Cali and Aub in that it'll be nice to get away from BMO and the co-opted TFC songs. Even if it's only for a short while.

I thought the comment implied a permanent move away from BMO.  Not just a 1-year (or 10-month) gap. Though I thought that was clear from the context of what I wrote. It's not like a year between matches at BMO is unusual. We had 11 months from 2007 to 2008. 24 months from 2008 to 2010 (when the only national team loss at BMO occurred). 23 months from 2012 to 2014.

But not an unusual thing!

Won't dispute the stats, but we haven't played a cap-tieable game anywhere else since the end of 2008. And during most of those stretches you highlighted, no games were played anywhere in Canada let alone BMO

I would say that moving the team away from where they played all 7 games of the last qualifying cycle and 2 of this one, will be a little unusual.

Anyway, whatever.

I'm kind of happy there won't be much at BMO after September.

I listened to the whole press conference (at least I think I did). Was this mentioned? In Spanish?

...how 'shit' the rest of the support is when I'm pretty damn sure the 'shit' ones are the people who come from across the country and travel around the world to watch this team and I'm also pretty confident in saying this guy wouldn't go 30 minutes out of Toronto to watch Canada play...the TFC-centric stuff

As someone who took a Greyhound from Ottawa and back (on the way back we had to swtich buses in the garage in Peterbourough at 3am because of a flat tire); thank you for posting that :P

Eli does a good job though.

Yeah I think a full year away from Toronto will be a very good thing.

Hopefully they go to BC (or Edmonton) in November and then to Montreal in March.

Its the players that want to have a consistent home base in Canada. They want Toronto where the majority have family and the best facilities are found. BC and Alberta are way too far from Europe.

Where was it said we weren't playing a BMO in Spetember? TFC still will be. What's the source?

It was said in a previous presser. most nat team media can attest.

September is likely BMO.

November (praying to god there is a november) is far slimmer chances)

March there is  no chance

Personally, I'm finding it hard to be too disappointed at our results in what is really a joke of a tournament, even if we have won it before: same team always hosts to maximize ticket revenue; refereeing has been biased to the point of cheating; tournament is held at random intervals and sometimes conflicts with World Cup Qualifying; many countries treat it with such contempt that they sometimes don't even send their best team. I would not be surprised if Floro saw it the same way, although he obviously can't say so publicly.

Wow, what are you smoking there?

The tournament is the only one we have any reasonable chance of winning. And represents our maximum triumph ever. It is not a joke. Teams spend time having to qualify for it.

If what you say is true and it is biased, presumably in favour of Mex and the US, that must be because it is really important for them. If not, they would not care. So a total contradiction.

If it were not important to the US, it would be held elsewhere every time. 

Reffing was good for us this time, the best ever. No one has even asked why, but I'll tell you: for the first time in history Spanish speaking refs like the one we just had are fearful of what a Spaniard like Floro might say if they screw up, as he gets a lot of play in the press of the entire region. The presence of Floro evens out reffing for Canada (still remember that last penalty call against us vs. Mexico last GC). For me this is a simple and obvious fact. 

Archived