Gold Cup - Canada v Costa Rica - Pre Game thread

Califax

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey did Canada win the gold cup in 1985?? CanMt recall if there was a CONCACAF championship then. The commentators stated they won it twice. And Haber can't finish that goal chance and aims it for the keeper

There was no CONCACAF Championship or Gold Cup then. The winner of the final stage WCQ was also considered the CONCACAF champions.

I'm sorry and I don't want to seem negative but this tournament was a big disappointment. The coach came in talking about "you never know we could win, anything can happen in soccer" (paraphrasing) and the goal to play 4-5 games/make quarters or semis and we didn't get it done. More disappointing was his team selection, repeated negative tactical decisions, and the mentality he portrayed to the players in the squad and fans across the country. I really hoped for growth in this tournament and to see us turn the corner but we didn't. I don't expect us to be a top 6 CONCACAF team overnight but legit thought we could at least see off El Salavador and give a better performance against Jamaica. Extremely disappointed, like many others, when we need a goal tonight and Floro takes off Osorio, one of our better attacking/creative players, for another center half. Sorry for the rant but really hoped for better and feel this gold cup has left us with more questions than answers. Couldn't make it to BMO tonight but cheers to all those who showed in the weather and supported our boys.

I'm sorry and I don't want to seem negative but this tournament was a big disappointment. The coach came in talking about "you never know we could win, anything can happen in soccer" (paraphrasing) and the goal to play 4-5 games/make quarters or semis and we didn't get it done. More disappointing was his team selection, repeated negative tactical decisions, and the mentality he portrayed to the players in the squad and fans across the country. I really hoped for growth in this tournament and to see us turn the corner but we didn't. I don't expect us to be a top 6 CONCACAF team overnight but legit thought we could at least see off El Salavador and give a better performance against Jamaica. Extremely disappointed, like many others, when we need a goal tonight and Floro takes off Osorio, one of our better attacking/creative players, for another center half. Sorry for the rant but really hoped for better and feel this gold cup has left us with more questions than answers. Couldn't make it to BMO tonight but cheers to all those who showed in the weather and supported our boys.

You are right. But in all fairness osorio wasn't doing much. But definately the switch for him was strange

this Fox commentary is brutal

The Fox guys are great, I love this team. They know a tonne about the region (referring back to how players did in Copa Centramericano for example), make generally intelligent points about the teams and games and pronounce player's names correctly. Light years ahead of anyone we've had calling national team games in living memory.

I'll take the first shot at player ratings

Stamatopoulos - 7

Stood in admirably and had a decent tournament His play was good enough to put us through if we had scored goal(s). He's a good shot stopper, though other areas of his game (distribution, crosses) speak to why he had a journeyman career in Scandinavia. 

Ouimette - 4

RB is definitely an issue for us. Not an easy task for him to step in against Ruiz, Martinez. Guzman, et al and he had some good moments in the first half but when the game stretched in the 2nd half and he got isolated, he definitely had his struggles. Another guy that needs to play at club level.

Jakovic - 7

One glaring mistake but he and Edgar were definitely bright spots of this tournament. He's a good 1 v 1 defender, good in the air and his distribution is decent.

Edgar - 7.5

Another solid outing from Edgar. He's calm on the ball, very strong in the air and looks a leader to me. I think he'll look even better when paired with a quicker CB, though he and Jankovic did themselves proud in this tournament.

de Jong - 7

Easily his best match of the tournament for me. He still doesn't inspire confidence when defending but his passing and especially his ability to join the attack and whip balls in is so key for us. I still would like to see him pushed further forward in this team or even have the luxury of bringing him in off the bench once games open up. 

Straith - 7

Another decent game from him. His Maradona in the 2nd half was nice and he generally protected our back 4 well. Given the level he's playing club soccer at, I'm still uneasy with him starting but he's a good passer of the ball and gets himself in the right areas to defend.

Tissot - 6

A pretty good match from him. Some good dead ball delivery and he kept the ball well. I think he was worth his spot tonight.

Osorio - 6

He had a few flashes and it was positive to have a mobile, searching midfielder in there after what I saw the first two games. I was surprised to say the least when he was subbed since the game was growing more open and he's the kind of player who can take advantage of that. 

de Guzman - 7

I was initially surprised to see him playing in a more advanced but he justified his place. He's obviously not the most mobile player anymore but he has craft, which is lacking in this group, especially in MF and up top. He drew a lot of fouls his ability to knick into spaces before defenders and he's comfortable playing out of tight spaces and using a single touch. He also looked a leader out there tonight.

Ricketts - 3

He embodied what all of his detractors have been saying. That one turn he had in the 2nd half, where cut inside and lost his defender and opened up the Costa Ricans is why he finds clubs in Europe and why Floro has him in there. But then he ran the ball into trouble, which explains why he's so frustrating. For me, I would only use him in a sub role when a game looks to be very open.

Haber - 7.5

Definitely justified his place tonight. If we're going to play the way we did this tournament, Haber makes the most sense leading the line. His chance in the first half wasn't a blatant miss for me; he was under pressure and had to snatch at his shot, though I think he wanted to go near post there. Was a factor in the second and half as well and unlucky to put himself offside on his goal. 

Subs - 

Teibert - 7

Provided a spark for sure. He's mobile, he defend from the front, a decent passer and crosser, can take players on... he definitely justified a place in the starting 11 in this group. 

Larin - 5

Didn't really get himself into the match.

Hainault - 6

Tough to grade as he again wasn't really in the thick of things, save for his shot blocked off the line.

TEAM - 7

This was a good performance tonight and easily our best of the tournament. Our limitations with this squad showed but we also played well as a unit, kept the ball more and connected passes in the final third. Definitely worth the point against Costa Rica tonight and I'd suggest maybe a little more.

I didn't think Osorio was playing super well, but JDG was gassed and became a turnover machine and a defensive liability around 60 minutes. Hainault for JDG was the right choice. Actually Will Johnson was the right choice. Actually Will Johnson was the right starter. 

We could have had easily 7 points in this tournament, one missed empty net and one offside by a ---- hair

No, not by a mile. Out-shot, out-chanced and out-possessed over all three games. These results pretty much reflected our underlying quality (or coaching) currently.

The Fox guys are great, I love this team. They know a tonne about the region (referring back to how players did in Copa Centramericano for example), make generally intelligent points about the teams and games and pronounce player's names correctly. Light years ahead of anyone we've had calling national team games in living memory.

I thought the commentary was good too, very fair, very knowledgable, and kept me in it when hopes were flagging. 

I don't care for most of the American soccer commentators but these guys were fine tonight. Not super loud, knowledgeable enough, made a reference to Canadian fans wanting Teibert in the team, which shows at least a bit of homework and ear to the ground. I don't mind Dobber and Forrest but these guys are probably more professional overall.

I thought the commentary was good too, very fair, very knowledgable, and kept me in it when hopes were flagging. 

I mostly watched Fox streams during the Impact CCL run and they were always very solid and honestly have more than a little pro-Canada bias. Compare to Canadian announcers who don't know any of the players on opposing teams, barely watch domestic or continental soccer outside of the games they are paid to do and can't muster any more insight into the game than complaining about Central American flopping. Some of the MLS guys on TSN/Sportsnet are decent but definitely not to the Fox level.

This tournament was a mess but I'm more hopeful than I was after the last bomb out two years ago. At least the team is young and has some depth at key positions along with very few Unattched lables on the roster.

We played very well against a world cup tico squad that we had more chances than they did. And that is what it all comes down to. Converting chances. Larin, Ricketts & Haber all had excellent scoring chances right in on the keeper these 3 games. If any of those 3 go in we are on to the next round. Without Will & Hutch it was always a long shot and we came up short.

Not happy but I'm hopeful for our WCQ in the fall.

A very good performance against a team rated way above us that was killer in the WC a year ago. Okay, they had player changes, and they have had a bad run, but actually they needed a win too, or at least knew that losing could knock them out, so it was a competitive match. 

We played well, were not dominated except for short spurts, defended well, and created scoring chances, apart from getting shots and corners and winning free kicks. We forced at least one great save, a goalline clearance and scored slightly offside. 

We cctually did not play their game, which was a step up, not adjusting to them but making them adjust to us. We made CR look bad at times. Still was not enough but has to be said.

We also saw some very encouraging performances. Haber was one. Tissot had a very good first half, with fine service and hard work rate. JDG proved he deserves to be playing at a higher level, providing leadership. Edgar was also a leader on the field. Stama showed he is and has been a very competent keeper.

Anyone thinking we have not improved simply has no knowledge of where we are coming from. That was a good performance. And from Floro too. That was good coaching, on a ton of levels. 

Those whining about Hainault being put on: you cannot play with 5 strikers, it is plain stupid. To attack when you need a goal you have to have outside players, second line strikers, some targets. If you have some holders you can send your tall backs forward more confidently. You cannot risk it stupidly as we had chances until the last minute, the last second, and they were only real because we'd held them to zero until then. That is how inferior teams have to play, if we'd gone crazy we would have been out by m. 70 and then most of the naysayers on here would have been jacking off to something else instead of even watching until m. 93, excuse my French.

We may not be a knock-out round team hands down, and our players are not playing at a very high level, we have no premium striker even. So that was a weak team doing pretty well what it had to do to get a result and just barely falling short. 

??? Who said we were playing with 5 strikers?

Keeping osorio on wouldnt have been 5 strikers.

Haber and larin would be the only strikers. Akindele a winger with teibert.

Floro dropped the ball. We had THREE centre backs on the pitch when we needed a goal. FIVE defenders on the pitch ffs

Before the match even starts floro concedes we are a weak team and the only way we get results is bunkering and "doing what we have to do to get a result"

Bullshit when teibert came on we presser and attacked them. And that was without osorio partnering him

Hey guys. So taking a look at the over all standing, we may not be eliminated yet. Guatamala has 1 point and are minus 2 in GD. Cuba, whom they play tommorow are on no points.

If Guatamala and Cuba draw, couldnt we still go through? A draw of any score would give guatamala 2 points 2 but still keep them with a worse goal differential than us.

Slim chance but it looks right.

Hey guys. So taking a look at the over all standing, we may not be eliminated yet. Guatamala has 1 point and are minus 2 in GD. Cuba, whom they play tommorow are on no points.

If Guatamala and Cuba draw, couldnt we still go through? A draw of any score would give guatamala 2 points 2 but still keep them with a worse goal differential than us.

Slim chance but it looks right.

We're out. We arent even third in our group. El salvador is based on scoring one goal

This was a disappointing tournament.

First question, because I was at the game and they refused to show replays, but what is the opinion of the off-side call? Was it correct? Does anyone have a replay?

I'm really sad about how this tournament went. First and foremost, I think it is hugely disappointing, and very bad for the program, that we have no chance of competing in the Copa Centenario. I think that is the sort of experience our side could benefit hugely from, and I think that the fact that we couldn't even make it to the quarters so that we could play for a spot to qualify really symbolizes how far we have to go.

I also have lost some faith in Floro. I think he is trying to play defensive soccer, and he is prioritizing clean sheets over everything else. I think that defensively our squad is solid in the region, as we have demonstrated. I also think that we have looked better than we have in the past couple years. However, I am very concerned about Floro's squad selection. Every single game I had issues with his Starting XI and his subs. Osorio and Teibert are key players moving forward, I'm not sure why they aren't playing. I'm not sure why he didn't play more attack-minded players against El Salvador and against Jamaica. I just really don't know what he was thinking, and it worries me. 

I was incredibly optimistic about this tournament, and instead I go to sleep tonight disappointed again. I'm not confident like I was. I thought this might be a real turning point for Canadian soccer, where some of our young players would make a statement and prove that we can compete in this region. Instead, we play three games with lineups that can't score goals.

Disappointment. That's the only word I have right now. I see a little improvement, but not anywhere near the level I had expected to see during the Gold Cup.

5 defenders on the pitch could work in a corner kick or other set piece plays. Didn't work tonight but it isn't that unheard of to put in tall players and hope for a header.

Right so the coach made subs to get 5 defenders on the pitch so we may get a corner and theyre tall.

Thats ridiculous. Not even all 5 defenders go up in the box for set pieces with 5 defenders on the pitch it will be even harder to win a corner or free kick.

No logical coach needing a goal has 5 defenders on the pitch after taking off your creative midfield in the hopes of getting a set piece where 5 defenders can crowd the box and score or leave us exposed at the back for a counter

This was a disappointing tournament.

First question, because I was at the game and they refused to show replays, but what is the opinion of the off-side call? Was it correct? Does anyone have a replay?

I'm really sad about how this tournament went. First and foremost, I think it is hugely disappointing, and very bad for the program, that we have no chance of competing in the Copa Centenario. I think that is the sort of experience our side could benefit hugely from, and I think that the fact that we couldn't even make it to the quarters so that we could play for a spot to qualify really symbolizes how far we have to go.

I also have lost some faith in Floro. I think he is trying to play defensive soccer, and he is prioritizing clean sheets over everything else. I think that defensively our squad is solid in the region, as we have demonstrated. I also think that we have looked better than we have in the past couple years. However, I am very concerned about Floro's squad selection. Every single game I had issues with his Starting XI and his subs. Osorio and Teibert are key players moving forward, I'm not sure why they aren't playing. I'm not sure why he didn't play more attack-minded players against El Salvador and against Jamaica. I just really don't know what he was thinking, and it worries me.

I was incredibly optimistic about this tournament, and instead I go to sleep tonight disappointed again. I'm not confident like I was. I thought this might be a real turning point for Canadian soccer, where some of our young players would make a statement and prove that we can compete in this region. Instead, we play three games with lineups that can't score goals.

Disappointment. That's the only word I have right now. I see a little improvement, but not anywhere near the level I had expected to see during the Gold Cup.

The goal was offside by a leg or two. Haber moved before Rusty connected with the ball. Had he waited a second later, would've been a nice goal.

Archived