Bet you this is the beginning of a Calgary NASL bid...

dmont

The owners of the Calgary Flames and Stampeders just proposed an enormous development project to include a hockey arena, football stadium, and a multi-sport amateur fieldhouse (whatever that is). They seem fully aware that they'll need to promise more than their existing sports properties in order to get any interest from the government in being a partner. I bet you they announce at least the intention to pursue an NASL franchise (a la Bob Young in Hamilton) or a more serious agreement (a la OSEG in Ottawa) to set up soccer as a co-tenant of the stadium.

Would post the link ("Triple Play: Flames megaproject includes arena, stadium, amateur sports house", Calgary Herald, April 2, 2015.) but I can't seem to paste anything or post any links. Should be easy to find though.

The owners of the Calgary Flames and Stampeders just proposed an enormous development project to include a hockey arena, football stadium, and a multi-sport amateur fieldhouse (whatever that is). They seem fully aware that they'll need to promise more than their existing sports properties in order to get any interest from the government in being a partner. I bet you they announce at least the intention to pursue an NASL franchise (a la Bob Young in Hamilton) or a more serious agreement (a la OSEG in Ottawa) to set up soccer as a co-tenant of the stadium.

Would post the link ("Triple Play: Flames megaproject includes arena, stadium, amateur sports house", Calgary Herald, April 2, 2015.) but I can't seem to paste anything or post any links. Should be easy to find though.

I totally agree.  I expect some people to be shocked that they mention soccer a few times at the grand unveiling.  But I think they will want to fill stadium dates and they also will be eyeing potential gov't $ available if Canada gets the WC 2026 bid.  The decision on that bid will be in June 2017, but I would expect that the Flames and CSA have already been talking about including this complex as part of the WC bid.  There won't be shovels in the ground on this project before then anyway.

Considering the CFL/NASL talks, NASL makes sense, but I would not be shocked if they considered MLS.  The ownership group has the $ to do it, and there is a much better chance of return.  The Flames owners, while mega rich, don't treat their sports teams like toys they blow $ on.  They treat them like businesses, and expect a return probably more than the average owner does.

Jason

You may be right, but that complex is many years away. At least 5 years from completion once ground breaking is done (there is significant remediation required for the West Village). Unless an NASL club plays at McMahon in the interim, which I just can't see being successful.

Although until I see a news article specifically discussing a Calgary NASL bid, I will refuse to get my hopes up and will continue to consider it talk and nothing more.

Here it is

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/triple-play-flames-megaproject-pitch-includes-arena-stadium-amateur-sports-house

You may be right, but that complex is many years away. At least 5 years from completion once ground breaking is done (there is significant remediation required for the West Village). Unless an NASL club plays at McMahon in the interim, which I just can't see being successful.

Although until I see a news article specifically discussing a Calgary NASL bid, I will refuse to get my hopes up and will continue to consider it talk and nothing more.

I agree that the Flames won't add a soccer team at McMahon unless it's either as a prelude to their new stadium, or to be part of any CFL/NASL plan, or (most likely) to head off any potential competitors for a soccer club.  I think they will want to keep their sports monopoly complete if they feel it is threatened.

Jason

More here, and they mention soccer.

Hall Monitor: 7 questions about the Flames' arena pitch

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/hall-monitor-answering-seven-questions-about-the-flames-arena-pitch

Jason Markusoff, Calgary Herald

Published on: April 2, 2015

Whether the fieldhouse is in West Village or Foothills Athletic Park or wherever, amateur sports organizers like Daryl Leinweber are keen for Calgary to have a complex that can host major track meets, pro-league soccer and other tournaments.

“The opportunity at a PDL (professional development league) or major-league level is tremendous. The one thing we don’t have in Calgary is a role model for soccer players locally,” said Leinweber, a fieldhouse society board member and head of Calgary Minor Soccer Association.

Th

Strange, considering he was at the press conference announcing their entry? That being said, I think he's referring to the fieldhouse itself. Nothing like it in the city.

He refers to a role model for soccer players, not the facility.  Could've been misquoted I suppose, but I find the possible omission at least mildly interesting.  I really don't know how the rest of the local soccer community feels about Foothills PDL at this point.

Jason

Last summer there was some noise about various CFL owners (Hamilton, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and Calgary) partnering with the NASL to build a Canadian conference of the league.  This was fuelled by the new stadia these clubs have or will have in the future and Ottawa was put forward as the model to follow.  A few months later the Canadian MLS clubs announced their participation in the USL with their reserve sides for 2015 and nothing more was said about the CFL-NASL plan.

I firmly believe that MLS is working hard to undermine, and eventually kill the NASL.  The addition of NYCFC (a direct challenge to the New York Cosmos) and future expansion into Atlanta and Minnesota, are aimed at attacking NASL markets.  Even Orlando City is a salvo in the direction of Tampa Bay, and the Beckham Franchise expected in Miami will be a clear challenge to Fort Lauderdale.

I once hoped that the USSF and CSA would develop a clear soccer pyramid and mandate cooperation between the three professional levels, instead they have stuck their heads in the sand while Div I and Div III conspire to crush Div II.  Why?  Anyone who has followed the lower division scene over the past 20 odd years knows that the USL (formerly the USISL) had worked hard to obtain Div II status in 1997 (when it merged with the A-League) and the rebellion of 2009 that lead to the creation of the NASL caused the USL to loose its Div II status (USL-1, its Div II entity, was replaced by USL-Pro, which combined the remnants of USL-1 and USL-2).  Now the USL hopes to use the muscle of MLS to cause the demise of the NASL so that it can once again regain Div II status.

What does this mean for Canada?  If the USL and MLS are successful, the best soccer we can hope for outside the three MLS clubs will be MLS reserve teams!

The NASL and its owners have worked hard to establish a quality product for its fans.  Here in Edmonton, the Fath's have created a wonderful club that came within a whisker of the playoffs last year despite a dismal Spring Season - unfortunately too many "soccer" fans in Edmonton continue to ignore this highly entertaining team.

Should the efforts to kill the NASL be successful it will be the fans of the game who will be the real losers.  There is a place for the NASL, and its support is growing every year.  The Indy Eleven sold out every game last season (over 11,000 a game - better than Chivas USA), the Jacksonville Armada FC opened in front of 16,000 last weekend, and the Fort Lauderdale Strikers enjoyed there largest crowd since they played in the original NASL in 1983.  Even in Canada, the Ottawa Fury FC welcomed 14,000 fans to its first game at TD Place.

Having lived through the gong show that was the CPSL in 1983, and the fiasco of the CSL from 1987 to 1992, I was excited by the prospects of a cross-country Canadian league (even if it was a conference of an American league).  The economics of the CFL-NASL plan are good, don't let MLS dictate the game in Canada.  Myself, I would rather watch FC Edmonton play Ottawa Fury FC than the Whitecaps Reserves play the Wilmington Hammerheads.

Finally, to soccer fans in Edmonton, support FC Edmonton before it suffers the same fate as the Edmonton Drillers (NASL 1979-82), the Edmonton Eagles (CPSL 1983), the Edmonton Brick Men (WSA and CSL 1986-1990), the Edmonton Drillers (NPSL 1996-2001) and the Edmonton Aviators (USL A-League 2004).  The Faths are doing there part, let's do ours and support the home team.  Go Rabbits!!!

Last summer there was some noise about various CFL owners (Hamilton, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and Calgary) partnering with the NASL to build a Canadian conference of the league.  This was fuelled by the new stadia these clubs have or will have in the future and Ottawa was put forward as the model to follow.  A few months later the Canadian MLS clubs announced their participation in the USL with their reserve sides for 2015 and nothing more was said about the CFL-NASL plan.

I firmly believe that MLS is working hard to undermine, and eventually kill the NASL.  The addition of NYCFC (a direct challenge to the New York Cosmos) and future expansion into Atlanta and Minnesota, are aimed at attacking NASL markets.  Even Orlando City is a salvo in the direction of Tampa Bay, and the Beckham Franchise expected in Miami will be a clear challenge to Fort Lauderdale.

I once hoped that the USSF and CSA would develop a clear soccer pyramid and mandate cooperation between the three professional levels, instead they have stuck their heads in the sand while Div I and Div III conspire to crush Div II.  Why?  Anyone who has followed the lower division scene over the past 20 odd years knows that the USL (formerly the USISL) had worked hard to obtain Div II status in 1997 (when it merged with the A-League) and the rebellion of 2009 that lead to the creation of the NASL caused the USL to loose its Div II status (USL-1, its Div II entity, was replaced by USL-Pro, which combined the remnants of USL-1 and USL-2).  Now the USL hopes to use the muscle of MLS to cause the demise of the NASL so that it can once again regain Div II status.

What does this mean for Canada?  If the USL and MLS are successful, the best soccer we can hope for outside the three MLS clubs will be MLS reserve teams!

The NASL and its owners have worked hard to establish a quality product for its fans.  Here in Edmonton, the Fath's have created a wonderful club that came within a whisker of the playoffs last year despite a dismal Spring Season - unfortunately too many "soccer" fans in Edmonton continue to ignore this highly entertaining team.

Should the efforts to kill the NASL be successful it will be the fans of the game who will be the real losers.  There is a place for the NASL, and its support is growing every year.  The Indy Eleven sold out every game last season (over 11,000 a game - better than Chivas USA), the Jacksonville Armada FC opened in front of 16,000 last weekend, and the Fort Lauderdale Strikers enjoyed there largest crowd since they played in the original NASL in 1983.  Even in Canada, the Ottawa Fury FC welcomed 14,000 fans to its first game at TD Place.

Having lived through the gong show that was the CPSL in 1983, and the fiasco of the CSL from 1987 to 1992, I was excited by the prospects of a cross-country Canadian league (even if it was a conference of an American league).  The economics of the CFL-NASL plan are good, don't let MLS dictate the game in Canada.  Myself, I would rather watch FC Edmonton play Ottawa Fury FC than the Whitecaps Reserves play the Wilmington Hammerheads.

Finally, to soccer fans in Edmonton, support FC Edmonton before it suffers the same fate as the Edmonton Drillers (NASL 1979-82), the Edmonton Eagles (CPSL 1983), the Edmonton Brick Men (WSA and CSL 1986-1990), the Edmonton Drillers (NPSL 1996-2001) and the Edmonton Aviators (USL A-League 2004).  The Faths are doing there part, let's do ours and support the home team.  Go Rabbits!!!

Very well said.

I firmly believe that MLS is working hard to undermine, and eventually kill the NASL.

That is my reading of the situation as well. The total lack of anythihng out of any of the CSA, NASL or CFL would seem to support the thesis.

What does this mean for Canada? If the USL and MLS are successful, the best soccer we can hope for outside the three MLS clubs will be MLS reserve teams!

Not quite. While I would prefer that the NASL expand and that the USL stay as a third division you are wrong to characterizse the situation as you have done.

USL can never be a successful and sustainable D2 if they have nothing but reserve teams. There should always be a place for independant clubs. I see no reason why Edmonton could not join USL if they are successful in their application for D2 status.

That is my reading of the situation as well. The total lack of anythihng out of any of the CSA, NASL or CFL would seem to support the thesis.

Not quite. While I would prefer that the NASL expand and that the USL stay as a third division you are wrong to characterizse the situation as you have done.

USL can never be a successful and sustainable D2 if they have nothing but reserve teams. There should always be a place for independant clubs. I see no reason why Edmonton could not join USL if they are successful in their application for D2 status.

As of now they have only 4 independants out of 24 clubs and being MLS's farm team/affiliate league most will not be independant going forward as well.

Edmonton joining usl would be a step down with NASL the independant pro league of better quality and profile which will remain so even if usl gets d2 in 2017. Usl is looking for d2 to change the perception of the league not drive up player budgets and other costs to NASL levels so their owners lose more $$$. Their purpose is to be a developmental league for MLS.

An Edmonton team in usl playing farm teams and affiliates, teams like Harrisburg and Wilmington, instead of independant NASL clubs like New York Cosmos and Tampa Bay Rowdies would IMHO result in even less fans showing up and the clubs eventual folding.

Like you I prefer the NASL expand, and preferably with a Calgary club in its future as a natural rival for Edmonton.

I think the problem with the NASL/CFL deal is a lack of a major sponsor.  I wondered a while back why hasn't TSN jumped on board with this, as they are very connected with the CFL.  But I'm thinking now that their deal with MLS might have something to do with it.  I would think MLS is putting some pressure on TSN to not get involved if they really are out to kill NASL as some suggest.

I think the whole thing is a bit silly.  Why does NASL feel the need to challenge MLS?  If they become a solid league why does it matter if MLS is bigger than them?  Does MLS really view them as a threat?  They are so far away from what MLS has become right now.

I'd love to see the CFL/NASL deal come together, but for now would be happy to see new Canadian clubs regardless.  Hamilton?  Calgary?  Toronto?  All seem to be possible.

Jason

The Minnesota franchise involves owners from the NASL Club. I don't think that is considered attacking the market. Atlanta and New York yes. The latter city will be an intriguing fight no doubt.

But this only came about after the threat of MLS partnering with the Vikings to put a franchise in the city. I agree with Drillers81 that MLS is trying to squash NASL at every turn. You just have to look at their government lobbying against the NY Cosmos stadium!

...MLS is trying to squash NASL at every turn. You just have to look at their government lobbying against the NY Cosmos stadium!

It does appear that NASL is bringing this fight upon themselves by challenging MLS markets directly. If they were not trying to do things like enter a team in the NY market (and now Miami) perhaps MLS would be more inclined to simply ignore them. I have to wonder what the NASL brain trust is thinking long-term?

• 4 weeks later...

I highly doubt that. Any football / soccer stadium announcement comes at the same time as an arena announcement. If it's a CFL only presser, I don't think it's anything stadium related.

I bet it's an announcement that Calgary will host the 2016 or 2017 Grey Cup

Just a crazy idea (consider the source, me) but what if the Caps, TFC decided to have 2 USL Pro teams? Would that get around the CSA's preventing USL Pro? I've never liked the CSA position on that one. I agree whole heartedly with the content rules for USL Pro because it is a development league but preventing other cities from joining just limits opportunities for Canadian players. 

Calgary owners, Caps provide the cover, and a prairie connection for all the players east of the Rockies? All the cost advantages of regional games. 

Calgary owners, Caps provide the cover, and a prairie connection for all the players east of the Rockies? All the cost advantages of regional games. 

So long as eventually they can become independant and enter the VCup it sounds good to me.

Archived