Scott Arfield

I think Petrasso and Thompson have a better chance of riding the pine with TFC by the end of the summer than making the WC squad. 

As for Arfield, guys unretire....christ... Hutchinson was almost done a few years ago, thought about calling it quits but didnt. I know that doesnt mean anything to you and you have ignored that, but it happens.   Personally I dont think Arfield will, I think its something between him and Herdman.  And if they were going to kiss and make up they would have by now.  So yeah you are right, Herdman is not willing, and hasnt been trying to work it out.  So sure, 30000-1 is prob right....

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

I think Petrasso and Thompson have a better chance of riding the pine with TFC by the end of the summer than making the WC squad. 

As for Arfield, guys unretire....christ... Hutchinson was almost done a few years ago, thought about calling it quits but didnt. I know that doesnt mean anything to you and you have ignored that, but it happens.   Personally I dont think Arfield will, I think its something between him and Herdman.  And if they were going to kiss and make up they would have by now.  So yeah you are right, Herdman is not willing, and hasnt been trying to work it out.  So sure, 30000-1 is prob right....

A lover's spat?

Arfield hasn't played for the nats since 2019. It's 2022. In 2020 his coach said he was done. in January he announced his retirement from international footie.

Yeah, if he came back and if all was cool with Herdman and if all was cool in the locker room we could use him... but if the Queen had balls she'd be the king.

IMO, nothing to see here folks. We can move on now.

19 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Arfield hasn't played for the nats since 2019. It's 2022. In 2020 his coach said he was done. in January he announced his retirement from international footie.

Yeah, if he came back and if all was cool with Herdman and if all was cool in the locker room we could use him... but if the Queen had balls she'd be the king.

IMO, nothing to see here folks. We can move on now.

The one thing that peaked my particular interest here was that the Caps scout was at the Europa League match vs Braga, but I think I simply read far too much into it, even if the Caps are in desperate need for midield gamechangers and short of international roster spots.

Otherwise, I concur with your points.

On 4/18/2022 at 10:35 AM, Shway said:

Give it a rest… I wonder if you guys would beg for your ex back, after she repeatedly showed no interest and called it quits with you.

The mission WC is complete. We aren’t going to the World Cup and expecting to best Belgium. It’s about the experience, exposure, and culture shift that being at this tournament will change. And it’s sustaining that since, we are already guaranteed a place at the next WC…on…home soil.

Arfield won’t be the difference, not now - not in 5 years, so why waste time trying to sell your idea/dream to your ex, while you have a younger more ready lover who you can mold and build a future with. 

All that to say….we have Kaye, Osorio, Staq, Hutch, and Piette. Hopefully Wotherspoon is back. 6 guys who have committed and deserve to play at the WC…if not them, than give the experience to Fraser, Kone, or Thompson. 

Thanks and respect for your brief commitment to the CMNT. His Canadian story has already finished. 

That may be the way you're looking at things in November. However, I'm looking it as a chance to shock the world and get out of the group. There are 2 big names in our group, but their weaknesses match up well with our strengths. I'm not saying that we're definitely going to win the group, but I'm certainly not throwing in the towel 7 months out.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

That may be the way you're looking at things in November. However, I'm looking it as a chance to shock the world and get out of the group. There are 2 big names in our group, but their weaknesses match up well with our strengths. I'm not saying that we're definitely going to win the group, but I'm certainly not throwing in the towel 7 months out.

I'm with you here. This is exactly how I am approaching the tournament. 

Another thing to consider is that we are not playing Belgium and Croatia tomorrow, we are playing them 7 months from now. They will be 7 months older and 7 months further detached from their prime. Meanwhile, we'll be 7 months closer to our prime.

That is no guarentee we get something out of either match, just something I wanted to highlight because it may play in our favour. When you're on the wrong side of 30, 7 months can make a big difference (in a bad way).

7 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Think you overlooked the context in what I was specifically referring too- which was that Arfield wouldn’t play a major role against those teams, as he would likely be replacing a key players minutes.

I’ve had these conversations within my WhatsApp soccer groups, and guys think I’m overly optimistic when I have said we can beat Croatia, and possibly get a result.

So I’m not indicating “throwing in the towel”, but I think we’ll likely see a younger prospect vs Arfield at the WC…..and when this does happen l want GWSmith, Califax, Bison44 to say “Shway said so”😂

Again…”We aren’t going to the World Cup and EXPECTING to best Belgium.” However I do believe we can leave our group. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Think you overlooked the context in what I was specifically referring too- which was that Arfield wouldn’t play a major role against those teams, as he would likely be replacing a key players minutes.

I’ve had these conversations within my WhatsApp soccer groups, and guys think I’m overly optimistic when I have said we can beat Croatia, and possibly get a result.

So I’m not indicating “throwing in the towel”, but I think we’ll likely see a younger prospect vs Arfield at the WC…..and when this does happen l want GWSmith, Califax, Bison44 to say “Shway said so”😂

Again…”We aren’t going to the World Cup and EXPECTING to best Belgium.” However I do believe we can leave our group. 

Advancing to the knockout stage or coming home either ways, we'll be leaving the group.

Personally I feel like if we don’t win a game all this process we have made will just fall to the waste side. We’ll be this goodwill story for 2 mins and boom it’s over, back to beating minnows and shitty concacaf. We need to perform. I worry this over rated Notion of brotherhood and who deserves to be there is gonna limit us. At the end of day it’s all about good tactics, high level performance, out playing your opponent. Like these guys are  professionals. We need the best players available and playing at high levels. 

for me that’s why I’m not taking a 18 year old who has only played one season in the MLS, or MLS vet like Kaye who can’t get his shit together in big games. Kaye is talented for sure but he’s a game killer with his stupidity. There’s a reason why he’s still playing in the MLS and for Colorado. I would also have some serious questions about Piette, he’s clearly not good enough to play. 

I'm spot on with @SpecialK. I won't say it again just to say it. 

I honestly think we keep coming back to Arfield is because - to use that girlfriend analogy - we just aren't satisfied at home.  I don't want to take a new date to my cousin's wedding . I'd rather take my on again off again girlfriend even if she hasn't been around a whole lot. My family knows her, my friends know her. She shows up, looks good. Sure she fights with my sister but my mom thinks she's great.

A lotta people rate this guy - and though he's not coming back - the draw has us nervous. And since he's better than a lot of the brotherhood, I keep hoping. 

Many people will watch our country for the first time at the world cup. It's not about building for 2026, it's about putting the best squad out now and leaving with something.

59 minutes ago, Shway said:

and when this does happen l want GWSmith, Califax, Bison44 to say “Shway said so”😂

I'd dance around with a gold necklace with peppers on it first. 😃

Put whatever label you want on it but  the mental toughness of the team has been a difference maker..."brotherhood", "fearless", "we can beat anyone" .  This attitude or mindset, a few top level players/clutch scoring and a well organized/tactically astute coaching staff took us to the top of Concacaf. Don't discount this. We are not a top 20 team that can get results with just the talent on the field. 1 player, unless they are world class (perhaps a keeper), is not going to alter that. Belgium and Croatia are daunting opponents but this is football and anything can happen in 1 game. We have to trust Herdman and the leadership in the team. They collectively got us to the WC.

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Personally I feel like if we don’t win a game all this process we have made will just fall to the waste side. We’ll be this goodwill story for 2 mins and boom it’s over, back to beating minnows and shitty concacaf. We need to perform. I worry this over rated Notion of brotherhood and who deserves to be there is gonna limit us. At the end of day it’s all about good tactics, high level performance, out playing your opponent. Like these guys are  professionals. We need the best players available and playing at high levels. 

for me that’s why I’m not taking a 18 year old who has only played one season in the MLS, or MLS vet like Kaye who can’t get his shit together in big games. Kaye is talented for sure but he’s a game killer with his stupidity. There’s a reason why he’s still playing in the MLS and for Colorado. I would also have some serious questions about Piette, he’s clearly not good enough to play. 

42 minutes ago, Califax said:

I'm spot on with @SpecialK. I won't say it again just to say it. 

I honestly think we keep coming back to Arfield is because - to use that girlfriend analogy - we just aren't satisfied at home.  I don't want to take a new date to my cousin's wedding . I'd rather take my on again off again girlfriend even if she hasn't been around a whole lot. My family knows her, my friends know her. She shows up, looks good. Sure she fights with my sister but my mom thinks she's great.

A lotta people rate this guy - and though he's not coming back - the draw has us nervous. And since he's better than a lot of the brotherhood, I keep hoping. 

Many people will watch our country for the first time at the world cup. It's not about building for 2026, it's about putting the best squad out now and leaving with something.

I'd dance around with a gold necklace with peppers on it first. 😃

The problem with this is that I really don't think he replaces Kaye in the lineup because I don't think that role is really suited for him, and definitely not Piette's.  When putting together a 23-man squad, the only opening I really see for him is to replace Osorio.  So, would you prefer Osorio on the pitch or Arfield?  Either that or Hoillet, because it really seems like Buchanan is a lock on the right side.  So, it's between those three that the discussion needs to take place.

Sure, if Arfield wants to come back, depth would be good.  But all things being equal and no injuries, I really don't think he walks into the starting lineup with ease, especially without some prep games.  Personally, I like an Osorio-Hutch-Eustaquio middle three, especially with the way Osorio is playing these days.  But that could be personal preference.  There might be a spot for him in the 23-man squad, but that's as far as I go.

11 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

The problem with this is that I really don't think he replaces Kaye in the lineup because I don't think that role is really suited for him, and definitely not Piette's.  When putting together a 23-man squad, the only opening I really see for him is to replace Osorio.  So, would you prefer Osorio on the pitch or Arfield?  Either that or Hoillet, because it really seems like Buchanan is a lock on the right side.  So, it's between those three that the discussion needs to take place.

Sure, if Arfield wants to come back, depth would be good.  But all things being equal and no injuries, I really don't think he walks into the starting lineup with ease, especially without some prep games.  Personally, I like an Osorio-Hutch-Eustaquio middle three, especially with the way Osorio is playing these days.  But that could be personal preference.  There might be a spot for him in the 23-man squad, but that's as far as I go.

Yeah, I almost commented on what you wrote a day ago as well. I agree with both posts. Everyone has slightly different roles but  Oso and Arfield are most similar with Oso having a clear edge now.

On Piette / Kaye - I actually think Kaye is better deeper as backup to Hutch - and Arfield is relief for Oso. Kaye's versatility nudges him over Piette, who I don't really see as a lock. 

Again, Arfield isn't coming back, but it's longing for that spark off the bench that matches the quality of our starters at mid.

Edited by Califax

22 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I get what you're saying here and I agree when you size it up like that, player for player. However, I don't see it like that. I view it in terms of Arfield giving us another weapon in our arsenal. I would be okay with us sacrificing a true depth player, such as Fraser, in order to add another weapon.

This is all probably moot anyhow, because I doubt we see him, but it's fun to speculate because we never know. 

22 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

For me it's not a matter of whether he's a "starter" or not, it's a matter of whether any of our opponents require us to draw the "Arfield" card. His experience in Europe alone could be a useful to see out a match. 

I do like that midfield 3 however. I have said before that we need one of Osorio or Hoilett to control the tempo.

Edited by Obinna

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I get what you're saying here and I agree when you size it up like that, player for player. However, I don't see it like that. I view it in terms of Arfield giving us another weapon in our arsenal. I would be okay with us sacrificing a true depth player, such as Fraser, in order to add another weapon.

The issue I have with this is you need backup for every position.  Therefore you kinda need to swap like for like when putting together your 23-man squad.  In my list, I didn't even have room for Fraser.  But if I did, it would be in place of Piette and either of those two would be backup for Eustaquio.  

When putting together a 23-man squad, I thought there would be more locks than there were.  I have one spot open which could go to Arfield but it would really depend on who is in form September through November.

Am I the only person suggesting that we can take the group? here's the factors that I believe will help/hinder our chances:

Weather: The only team that is maybe somewhat used to the weather in Qatar will be Morocco. The rest of us will be battling with it - so the management of intensity and recovery will be very important. 

Age: with the exception of Atiba and to a lesser degree Borjan, we are a very young team. Belgium and Croatia do not have a lot of youth. This coupled with the weather will make teams want to slow the game down. Canada could really take it to these teams as they did against an ageing Mexico (in the heat).

Experience: Although we are certainly up to the task, we do lack a lot experience playing at major tournaments against the best talent in the world. However, we do have at least some players that play at this level.

Tactics: I have never seen such great tactics by a Canadian team. Even players going down to give John a chance to speak with his team to change tactics during a match. I think we compete with the best now. Subs are talented and strategically made using a plethora of options and the timing is usually spot on. Herdman has used this team wisely - showing a real confidence in his players and his use of different players in different formations in tournaments. I really don't think you will see much of that from the other teams in the group.

The Team:  It's just that - a team. These guys play foreach other, found a confidence inside themselves and have pushed personal and team development to a much higher standard. This group stage will help define Canada's ceiling because so far, we haven't seen it.

So here's my prediction: 1. Canada, 2. Belgium, 3. Croatia, 4. Morocco