Scott Arfield

5 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Was that a subtle dig tonight by Wheeler on Arfield when Eustaquio was subbed off? He mentioned something to the effect of dedication and wearing the maple leaf ahead of club. 

Probably not. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I was happy to see Rangers get spanked by Celtic today and have them get overtaken for first in Scotland.

On 1/24/2022 at 8:22 PM, trc2014 said:

Anyone else read this as him not coming in was in part due to a player team decision?

I hear one word throughout every interview.  Brotherhood. Not sure we need to say more about this except how much these guys give up and have given up to support the team - including ego and guarantee of playing time. 

remember this as we reflect on the next window.  Call ups etc. Every game now is a tuneup and audition for the big dance.  

Just now, Ruud said:

I hear one word throughout every interview.  Brotherhood. Not sure we need to say more about this except how much these guys give up and have given up to support the team - including ego and guarantee of playing time. 

remember this as we reflect on the next window.  Call ups etc. Every game now is a tuneup and audition for the big dance.  

Fraser is a perfect example.

Just joined a Belgian 2nd division club but came out for us.

12 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Was that a subtle dig tonight by Wheeler on Arfield when Eustaquio was subbed off? He mentioned something to the effect of dedication and wearing the maple leaf ahead of club. 

If Wheeler is taking digs at previous players who wore the shirt proudly and helped kickstart this resurrection, he needs to get the fuck out.

However, even though I'm not the biggest Wheeler fan (he's a lot better when on National TV) - I very, very, very much doubt this was a dig at Arfield.

Edited by Hawkguy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 8:33 PM, kungfucious said:

anybody got any (good) news to share about our (adopted) boy scotty?

(... im still a fanboy)

Since the thread is still alive I will say this: regardless of the reasons of his absence from our team he is exactly the cool head we could have really used in the middle of the park last night, I'll leave it at that!😀

3 minutes ago, gator said:

Since the thread is still alive I will say this: regardless of the reasons of his absence from our team he is exactly the cool head we could have really used in the middle of the park last night, I'll leave it at that!😀

you know that assessment you wrote about MAK in that other thread???    Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

scotty coulda/shoulda been the difference last night, going forward, going anywhere 

Edited by kungfucious

50 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Well it still sucks he isnt with the program, for whatever reason....but we also also missed Piette and Wotherspoon (injuries).  However younger and potentially more exciting options are coming damn near every window.  

The guy is not here and look how well we have done .

Had to figure this would happen eventually. Can't imagine he makes the squad.
https://tinyurl.com/3nhx7599

Arfield Leaves Door Open to Canada Return

Fri, 01 Apr 2022
Arfield Leaves Door Open to Canada Return

After retiring from international football earlier this year, the Rangers midfielder says he remains open to a call-up.  Matthew Ashton - AMA/Getty Images

April 1, 2022

GLASGOW - The Canadian Men's National Team may get a boost from their former captain when they take the pitch this fall for their first World Cup since 1986. Scott Arfield, who stepped away from International football in January, said that he would accept a call up to gaffer John Herdman's 23-man squad.

"I remain open," said Arfield. "It's a great group and they worked hard to qualify. I'm very proud of my teammates."

Canada booked its place in Qatar on Sunday with a 4-0 win over Jamaica in Toronto. 'Les Rouges' posted an 8-4-2 in CONCACAF qualifying, besting Mexico and the United States for top spot overall. 

Arfield told RangersTV that congested fixtures in early 2022 combined with a slight knock, made it impossible for him to join his country's World Cup Qualifiers. 

"It wasn't in the cards at that time, but should there be a place for me in the 23 (man squad), I would accept."

The FIFA World Cup draw will take place Friday. Canada is expected to name its squad this summer. 

9 minutes ago, Califax said:

Arfield told RangersTV that congested fixtures in early 2022 combined with a slight knock, made it impossible for him to join his country's World Cup Qualifiers. 

This seems reasonable to me. Not sure why anyone would have a  issue with this. If he shows up this summer for Nations League and friendlies then we can at least assess his usefulness.