Scott Arfield

12 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I never made the argument that he didnt want to play the minnows (although that is likely true). I think the better argument is that he doesnt want to play in central america. He did one game, realized what it was like and then never again. 

However, I think youre point is that he abandoned us vs the minnows (easy) and not that he abandoned us during the octo (hard).  

If thats what you mean, then i should clarify what i meant by tough (perhaps thats the wrong word choice). Tough in this context is travelling during covid, the brutal conditions and travel schedule of south america, competing for a club contract during qualifying, dealing with injuries, a big time commitment etc. Basically he abandoned us during WCQ (tough) so he shouldnt walk into our WC squad (easy -even though the matches are waaaay tougher).

Alot of those reasons are justifiable. However, losing your spot as a result of your choices is also justifiable. 

The argument at the time (not mine) was that if he didnt bother to show all the time or during the easy rounds against minnows, Herdman didnt want him when it got tough (later rounds and WC) and didnt deserve a call.   I think he made allusions to that himself not liking to travel to cental america/caribean and blow out a minow 6-0 etc.  And thats about exactly how it played out going forward.  Plenty labelled him as toxic, bad team mate etc and that was it.  It just seemed a funny way for you to look at it that he "abandoned the team when it was tough" when in reality he didnt come to easy wins where he wasnt really needed and those types of games are great for working in younger fringe players and cap tying.  And his snub caused a rift and he never got back into the squad. 

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The argument at the time (not mine) was that if he didnt bother to show all the time or during the easy rounds against minnows, Herdman didnt want him when it got tough (later rounds and WC) and didnt deserve a call.   I think he made allusions to that himself not liking to travel to cental america/caribean and blow out a minow 6-0 etc.  And thats about exactly how it played out going forward.  Plenty labelled him as toxic, bad team mate etc and that was it.  It just seemed a funny way for you to look at it that he "abandoned the team when it was tough" when in reality he didnt come to easy wins where he wasnt really needed and those types of games are great for working in younger fringe players and cap tying.  And his snub caused a rift and he never got back into the squad. 

I think the definition of "tough" is where we have confusion even though we are on the same page. 

Tough in my context is travelling to play minnows. Its tough to do something you dont want to do, bad conditions, travel etc.  I never meant tough as in "tough to win" games. 

Basically, he abandoned us when it was more tough for him to play against the minnows in concacaf compared to him staying at home. 

The comparison of tough is not about how difficult the opponent is. The comparison is the toughness between a cushy international break at home vs standing besides your brothers under less than ideal conditions. 

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Someone on Instagram took a picture of people dancing in the street on the plateau (Montreal) and one of the people had an Arfield Canada jersey. I had to rewind the story like 10 times to make sure I saw correctly. Didn’t even know they made those 

Probably paid for custom lettering. Like my Doneil Henry TFC jersey. It didn't come off the rack with his name on it.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Would Arfield even get a call at this point? 34 year old over the hump MLS midfielder in active decline. Probably but he’d be battling for minutes with Loturi, not Kone.

If he performs as well as Osorio, sure! And it's possible he unretires from the national team if things have changed on his end of things. That being said, I'm not going to waste my time thinking about it until there is an actual indication that it can/will happen.

16 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I have no interest in Arfield.

His whole schtick of will he won't he was disrespectful to the guys busting their hump every camp. mfer thinks facing smaller countries was some affront while beating down Hamilton Academical 6-0 on the regular.

I honestly believe that it wasnt about the smaller countries. Its about away matches in concacaf. He only has played in central america once and that was at the start with the national team. Then he never went again. 

On 6/15/2023 at 3:48 PM, VinceA said:

I have no interest in Arfield.

His whole schtick of will he won't he was disrespectful to the guys busting their hump every camp. mfer thinks facing smaller countries was some affront while beating down Hamilton Academical 6-0 on the regular.

Exactly who would still have interest in him after almost 4 years of not getting a national team call up? He doesn't deserve to be there and he would be fighting for minutes with guys like Osorio, Kaye, Kone, Piette, Eustaquio, etc especially for those box to box positions

Guys who have been there in these past few years establishing themselves and solidifying their positions on this national team

Like why should Scott take away a spot from them? What has he done to really earn it in these almost 4 years?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 12:20 PM, TGAA_Star said:

...Like why should Scott take away a spot from them? What has he done to really earn it in these almost 4 years?

Playing in a Europa League final puts him ahead of what most CMNT players were achieving at club level over that time period. Could he have bolstered the quality of the midfield in the game against Croatia in Qatar after the early goal by Alphonso Davies? Probably, so it's a valid enough question what happened behind the scenes that prevented that from happening regardless of whether some posters on here (this isn't aimed at you) don't like him because he was a Rangers player.