Scott Arfield

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Because you're going to have bigger issues than Scott Arfield when Bayern's medical staff asks Herdman why they should let their 80 million euro player go play cow patches in central america if some random scottish league guy gets to skip out.

The few club coaches who made comments about national team got blasted everywhere. It does not work that way, it’s not the NHL. And, by the way, Davies missed games for Canada if you remember well.

3 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

The second part does not concern you. I don’t know what you think about a possible Arfield comeback. By the way, it’s not a bad move, no clubs want Fraser. He had some flashes like almost every players do, especially when they don’t play enough to get tired.

Question to those asking he’s done, do you only think like that because of the statement he made more than 1 year ago? What are your feelings when Schumacher, Favre, Zlatan, Thuram, Makélélé, etc, came back from retirement? Do you have any infos to say it’s 200% out of mind?

I'm on Team Arfield and wish they could find a way to get him back in.

It just seems totally unlikely 

1 minute ago, MauditYvon said:

The few club coaches who made comments about national team got blasted everywhere. It does not work that way, it’s not the NHL. And, by the way, Davies missed games for Canada if you remember well.

Agreed.

The entire reason this window is in Europe is to appease those same club coaches

Just now, narduch said:

I'm on Team Arfield and wish they could find a way to get him back in.

It just seems totally unlikely 

Fair enough. I also find it unlikely, still can’t know why. I have some theories, weird timing since we were definitely out of the picture for the Hex when he started to refuse call. Same time he got injured, was seeking a new contract, his family was starting to miss him and Herdman got that deep brotherhood thing going on. 

About our national team? It's Canadian soccer press, these massive european clubs don't give a fuck if they get blasted. and it might not even be them, it might come from the players themselves. Why shouldn't we give exceptions to skip out on unimportant games to players better than Arfield? If I'm making 5 million euros at Bayern, don't know if I feel like flying to Haiti for a game we might lose on some ticky tacky concacaf crap.

He also missed games because he had heart issues- I think we can all agree those are games worth missing.

I just don't think it's wise to give an exception to Arfield if you won't give one to everyone else, and if you give one to everyone else, you're going to play a lot of games with some pretty shitty rosters.

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I just don't think it's wise to give an exception to Arfield if you won't give one to everyone else, and if you give one to everyone else, you're going to play a lot of games with some pretty shitty rosters.

It’s a good point. But he ate enough shit to get the dessert.

Edited by MauditYvon

It’s a good point. But he ate a lot of shit, he deserves the dessert.

For the record, I support bringing him back- if he's warming up to joining our team and they think they can reintegrate him back into the team with effectively just that one friendly against Japan, then let's make it happen. I will talk shit as long as he's "retired" but will embrace him the second he comes back to us.

I just get why Herdman did what he did- he's a manager above all, and managing multiple personalities, egos, situations, etc., is always a juggling act especially when the quality of player you have ranges from the best left back in the world to TFC bench warmer, you have to expect compromise and make decisions for the best of your organization.

Except Herdman (like all of us) probably thought MAK was going to have a good season and Osorio and Hutchinson would be fit. At least 2/3.

And it’s not even about that, unless Arfield committed something criminal toward his colleagues, and he’s fit, and the list goes from 23 players to 26, and he’s willing to come back, easy call. I don’t hate Arfield or Herdman or Hoilett (edit : or Fraser) in this debate, I hate board members who call idiots (that’s why it was put in italic in my post) the ones thinking he’s an option. He’s a fucking good option.

Edited by MauditYvon

So, let's be clear, if this was 40 year old Scott Arfield, all of us would be applauding this announcement - we'd love a retired/former captain providing commentary on our games, and we'd think this was a great move by OneSoccer.

But it's 33 year old Scott Arfield, and we all lose our minds.  Why?  Because we think he could/should be out there playing for us.  To be honest, this is the thing that we will probably never have an answer to - why is Scott Arfield not playing for us?  But regardless, it seems like he, Herdman, the CMNT, OneSoccer, have all moved on and accepted it.  I certainly don't want to accept it.  But I think we have to.

14 minutes ago, GasPed said:

So, let's be clear, if this was 40 year old Scott Arfield, all of us would be applauding this announcement - we'd love a retired/former captain providing commentary on our games, and we'd think this was a great move by OneSoccer.

But it's 33 year old Scott Arfield, and we all lose our minds.  Why?  Because we think he could/should be out there playing for us.  To be honest, this is the thing that we will probably never have an answer to - why is Scott Arfield not playing for us?  But regardless, it seems like he, Herdman, the CMNT, OneSoccer, have all moved on and accepted it.  I certainly don't want to accept it.  But I think we have to.

Of course you’ve got to accept it. Its just.. it doesn’t make sense if he refuses a call for a one-month tourney. I guess that’s what we all want to know : if Herdman offers you an opportunity for Qatar - and Qatar only - do you accept it? We really don’t have any informations, this is why I’m triggered. At least we will probably have some clue with OneSoccer.

Edited by MauditYvon

23 hours ago, Floortom said:

Nothing bizarre about this. He’s a recent captain of the team, has a lot of personal insight into the staff and players so it makes a lot of sense to get him involved. I look forward to hearing him.

again, this is further evidence that there is no grand conspiracy or bad blood. He simply retired due to other commitments and not having the desire to play international football any longer. Nothing wrong with that. 

The irony being that we could actually use him, especially with our recent midfield injuries

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

So Arfield called in from Glasgow.

never say never in football.  Sounds like he would be one call away.  Hopefully we won't need him, but in the event that Osorio can't go and fitness level with Atiba is still a doubt come the world cup and another injury to any of the other mids I'd rather be calling in Arfield than anyone else. 

basically said he was fine with his decision to focus on club.. .but never say never.. lol

He spoke highly of Herdman.. and didn't want to divulge why he decided to step away from the team.. could have been a personal /family issue (doesn't he have young kids?).. or could be beef with some of the players on the "leadership team".

Just now, canadianbacons said:

YouTube froze up right during his answer about retiring. 

Scott was very diplomatic.  He talked about it being a difficult decision, focus on club football.  He did nothing but praise John herdman and the players.  His narrative didn't surprise me in the least. Very classy. 

12 minutes ago, shermanator said:

"Move on, nerds"

- Arfield, just now on OneSoccer

I know you are definitely thinking he is done for good but you have to admit that the “never say never” is a bit of an odd comment for someone who is so absolutely settled in his decision.  If your plan is to never open the door it seems odd to leave it open a crack.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

“never say never” is a bit of an odd comment for someone who is so absolutely settled in his decision.  If your plan is to never open the door it seems odd to leave it open a crack.  

5A68FBEF-194F-4843-B2D8-51B5DA22B1E6.jpeg.3c746d80ca2cb916ff09466e7bc9c5f5.jpeg

It just so happens he’s quoting a Canadian icon’s smash success tour/movie.

Not a coincidence.