Scott Arfield

3 minutes ago, Reds said:

Anyone who says they wouldn't have Arfield in Qatar should be watching this Rangers-Napoli game. His hustle, heart, and technical skill all there on display at football's highest level. Almost scored an absolute screamer to boot. 

Didn't see any of that "hustle, heart, or technical skill" during our world cup qualifying, in fact I didn't see anything from him. 

He made his choice and now he should sit at home and watch the boys who put the work in.

3 minutes ago, Fullback said:

Didn't see any of that "hustle, heart, or technical skill" during our world cup qualifying, in fact I didn't see anything from him. 

He made his choice and now he should sit at home and watch the boys who put the work in.

How about let's put our best XI on the field. Arfield is lightyears ahead of an out of form Kaye or Fraser. We have 4 or 5 players that are good enough to start a Champions League game. To think we are better off keeping one at home is insane. Eustaquio and Arfield are on a tier of their own in midfield.

9 minutes ago, Reds said:

How about let's put our best XI on the field. Arfield is lightyears ahead of an out of form Kaye or Fraser. We have 4 or 5 players that are good enough to start a Champions League game. To think we are better off keeping one at home is insane. Eustaquio and Arfield are on a tier of their own in midfield.

I would argue that bringing in a guy that hasn't wanted to be there for the last 4 years and alienated the team would be bad for our first XI

Just now, Califax said:

Doniel Henry put work in. When he gives up a penalty 11 minutes in, the tune changes. 

It's not black and white and I want to win. 

Yep,  let’s field the best team possible.   Also, we’re just assuming we know what happened and blaming Arfield.  Personally I’d give him a big hug on a return as he’s a quality player…

30 minutes ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

Can anyone explain what was his reason behind retirement right when Canada was going to qualify .

What we know is that Herdman had suggested that he didn't want players to pick and choose when they could show up and Culminates in the Hoilett tweet calling him out at the Gold Cup.

I get why you guys want him, he's a good player but it's so ridiculous to just rag on players who care so much about this team while fawning over a guy who didn't want to be there half the time.

He made his choice, move on.

12 minutes ago, Fullback said:

Culminates in the Hoilett tweet calling him out at the Gold Cup.

The same Hoilett who chose not to play for us for like 6 years, just to be clear. People have their reasons for doing things. 

I know three things:

1) He is not coming back.

2) He would instantly make us better.

3) There is too much gossip and incorrect and incomplete information to substantiate what happened. 

2 minutes ago, Califax said:

The same Hoilett who chose not to play for us for like 6 years, just to be clear. People have their reasons for doing things. 

I know three things:

1) He is not coming back.

2) He would instantly make us better.

3) There is too much gossip and incorrect and incomplete information to substantiate what happened. 

I am well aware of Hoilett not committing, thanks for that. He has also ben very committed for the last 7 years, has he missed any non-January camps? 

Regardless of his commitment issues almost a decade ago, that doesn't change the fact Hoilett called Arfield out for BS reasons in a tweet which a few other players liked. Couple that with Herdman's quotes about picking and choosing, leads me to believe Arfield chose not to be with the squad many times in the past couple years. If you want to think otherwise and continue to shit on players who actually want to be there, go for it. 

We don't need him as the squad proved over the last 1.5 years

Chemistry in the locker room is important...clearly there's an issue there, even though I agree on the field Arfield makes the team better on paper its probably not worth it from an intangibles perspective...he made his decision and I'm not sure he comes back even if he goes to Herdman and the team hat in hand and admits he screwed up...

17 minutes ago, Fullback said:

I am well aware of Hoilett not committing, thanks for that. He has also ben very committed for the last 7 years, has he missed any non-January camps? 

Regardless of his commitment issues almost a decade ago, that doesn't change the fact Hoilett called Arfield out for BS reasons in a tweet which a few other players liked. Couple that with Herdman's quotes about picking and choosing, leads me to believe Arfield chose not to be with the squad many times in the past couple years. If you want to think otherwise and continue to shit on players who actually want to be there, go for it. 

We don't need him as the squad proved over the last 1.5 years

Calm down tiger, I wasn't shitting on anyone.

If you want to make the claim that Hoilett and Arfield don't like each other, there may be evidence of that. There's not evidence of a whole lot else. I would love to be as informed as you (think you are.) 

As a ray of hope to the optimists out there, Kevin Kilbane just asked Julian Deguzman on the Qatar preview show (TSN) if he could see Herdman approaching Scotty to come back (especially of Atiba remains unavailable) and they were both thinking it could happen.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

As a ray of hope to the optimists out there, Kevin Kilbane just asked Julian Deguzman on the Qatar preview show (TSN) if he could see Herdman approaching Scotty to come back (especially of Atiba remains unavailable) and they were both thinking it could happen.   

So he would play against Japan, would that be enough preparation after being out 3 years! It sounds like hundreds of hours have gone into the preparation by Herdman and co. Then you bring in a guy that would be playing centrally at the 11th hour? 

I love Arfield but this would be risky.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

So he would play against Japan, would that be enough preparation after being out 3 years! It sounds like hundreds of hours have gone into the preparation by Herdman and co. Then you bring in a guy that would be playing centrally at the 11th hour? 

More risky than playing Kaye or Kone?  Arfield seems like the safe choice to me, no contest.

Edited by costarg

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Even if you have him on the bench it’s an upgrade.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

By that logic Waterman only be slightly less risky than Arfield.

Which is kind of silly, since Arfield has 19 caps and has played with this group more than Waterman has.

If Herdman wants Arfield prepared he'll make it happen.

On 9/14/2022 at 4:02 PM, Fullback said:

I would argue that bringing in a guy that hasn't wanted to be there for the last 4 years and alienated the team would be bad for our first XI

Exactly my point and I was crucified for it because fact of the matter is is that Arfield hasn't played for Canada in what 3 years so why should he be deserving of a spot in Qatar over guys who should be there? Or who put the time in unlike him?