Scott Arfield

On 8/13/2022 at 12:25 PM, Obinna said:

How are we not trying to move mountains to keep this guy involved? This is the World Cup we are talking about and it feels like everytime his thread is bumped he's scored or assisted, be it domestic or UCL qualifiers. 

I agree with @narduch, we aren't going to see him. I wonder though if that changes with a late injury or two in midfield. God forbid we lose someone like Kaye or Osorio right before Qatar, or both, but does Herdman turn back to Arfield in such a circumstance, or does he bring in the likes of Liam Fraser or Kone for cover? Wotherspoon may not be fit in time (did he play today?) and a midfield of Eustaquio, Hutchinson, Piette, Kone and Fraser is not deep enough. Who is the next midfielder in this circumstance, Priso? Okello? 

Again, I am 99.999% sure Arfield is done, but I must admit I am holding onto that 0.001% chance.

At minimum he should be a depth player for Canada…obviously something must have happened behind the scenes, because none of the parties seem like they want a reconciliation…

1 hour ago, cornerkick said:

he would need to be part of the upcoming friendlies to have any shot of making qatar, right? 

if you would have come to me out of friendship..out of respect....i dont remember the last time you invited me to Ibrox for coffee.....and now you want me to take you to Qatar???

bd631afeb2f95ddcfee470e260baede1.jpg

5 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

At minimum he should be a depth player for Canada…obviously something must have happened behind the scenes, because none of the parties seem like they want a reconciliation…

Agreed that there doesn't seem to have been any indication that Scott Arfield has reversed his publicly announced retirement from the CMNT.

It may have been something he had to do to get a new contract with Rangers so don't think it's even 100% clear that there is a reconciliation angle involved.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

That's a pretty tasty group. I haven't seen the others but that looks to be relatively even 1 (Liverpool) through 4 (Rangers).

Although Liverpool is the highest-ranked team, in co-efficient terms, it's actually Ajax who are the Pot 1 team. As a Liverpool supporter, I'm getting a bit sick of seeing Napoli in the group stage. We've had them in 3 of the last 5 years. We also had Ajax last year. Rangers are the only fresh face for us.

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Although Liverpool is the highest-ranked team, in co-efficient terms, it's actually Ajax who are the Pot 1 team. As a Liverpool supporter, I'm getting a bit sick of seeing Napoli in the group stage. We've had them in 3 of the last 5 years. We also had Ajax last year. Rangers are the only fresh face for us.

This is the problem with the Super League proposal, you always would see the same teams. For the big clubs it's already the case. 

In fact CL is a tiring formula, because no games are definitive. Or few. Every match you're calculating group points, or away result to take home. Only if the last day of the group stage you need a result, or if you're home in the knock-out and need a win, but even then. It's rarely as exciting as a single match knock-out cup match. I personally prefer league matches because you're chasing the top of the table. 

In CL I want to see the new powerhouses with a rising star. I think I've seen it rarely, like when Shevchenko came and scored a hat trick with Dynamo Kiev at Camp Nou (25 years ago). 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

15 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

Get over yourself Herdman.  Let bygones be bygones and get Arfield back in the fold.  With midfield depth/quality an issue we need him at the World Cup.

Is the general understanding that Herdman does not want Arfield part of the team and not vice-versa?

34 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

Get over yourself Herdman.  Let bygones be bygones and get Arfield back in the fold.  With midfield depth/quality an issue we need him at the World Cup.

You do know that's not actually Herdman talking about himself in third person, right?

17 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Is the general understanding that Herdman does not want Arfield part of the team and not vice-versa?

I don't think anyone knows that outside of the CMNT. Speculation abound though.

42 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

he came out in a podcast and said there was a problem with the players in the Scottish league and other players on the CMNT gelling along so I don't think its a coincidence scott arfield left Id say John Herdman asked him to do so

Edited by Mitchryan11

1 minute ago, Mitchryan11 said:

he came out in a podcast and said there was a problem with the players in the Scottish league and other players on the CMNT gelling along so I don't think its a coincidence scott arfield left Id say John Herdman asked him to do so

I can’t remember what was said word for word, but I don’t think you can.

26 minutes ago, Mitchryan11 said:

I think you’re reading way too much into this.