Scott Arfield

On 5/19/2022 at 12:22 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was listening to a commentator here in Spain after the game who said, rightly, that probably most of Glasgow was happy Rangers lost, a slight majority, and probably all of Aberdeen. Which I thought was smart, Aberdeen beating Real Madrid in 83 in the Cup Winners Cupwith an interesting fellow on their bench, the future Sir Alex. 

The logic being if you are from Aberdeen your club still has more European silverware than Rangers. 

My wife's family is from the Celtic part of Glasgow. There is a WhatsApp chat with the family and after Rangers won their semi final there were a couple women in Scotland who praised what Rangers are doing for Scottish football. The men, who are the bigger fans, were notably silent. After the final there were no mentions by anyone about the game. 🤣

By the end of the game there were Canadian, US and Australian national team players on the pitch. Shows how having internationals from the national teams of what used to be perceived as non-soccer playing countries appearing in the biggest games in a European context is no longer something out of the ordinary.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

41 minutes ago, narduch said:

Started and subbed out in the 64th minute in Champions League qualifying today.

Rangers won 3-0 and advance 3-2 on aggregate. 

They will face PSV Eindhoven in the final qualifying round

Tough draw for both sides. Too bad they both can't advance, given their stature and histories. I guess everyone can't play in the UCL though. 

1 hour ago, MauditYvon said:

Giovanni van Bronckhorst vs Ruud van Nistelrooy

I start to feel old.

But hey, we can say it's relevant because a former Canadian international is involved. To be able to do that with names like van Bronckhorst and van Nistelrooy is something to be proud of. 

How are we not trying to move mountains to keep this guy involved? This is the World Cup we are talking about and it feels like everytime his thread is bumped he's scored or assisted, be it domestic or UCL qualifiers. 

I agree with @narduch, we aren't going to see him. I wonder though if that changes with a late injury or two in midfield. God forbid we lose someone like Kaye or Osorio right before Qatar, or both, but does Herdman turn back to Arfield in such a circumstance, or does he bring in the likes of Liam Fraser or Kone for cover? Wotherspoon may not be fit in time (did he play today?) and a midfield of Eustaquio, Hutchinson, Piette, Kone and Fraser is not deep enough. Who is the next midfielder in this circumstance, Priso? Okello? 

Again, I am 99.999% sure Arfield is done, but I must admit I am holding onto that 0.001% chance.

• 2 weeks later...