Scott Arfield

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah that's true but again why should we reward him with a place on this team period? 

Are you looking for a different answer than "he's one of our top 3 midfielders" and he'd compliment Eustaquio perfectly?

If you ask the question, you obviously don't see it that way, and you have the right to your opinion, but you'll have a hard time convincing most here that he's not top 3 at the moment. 

If you base it solely on him not being around for WCQ, it's fair, but we all know there is more behind that decision than we know.  He said himself he was available for at least one or two rounds.

4 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Okay but at his position we already have guys who have been here so why is it fair that they get dropped for Arfield? I mean within central midfield we have Hutchinson, Eustaquio, Piette, Kaye, Kone, etc. 

Professional sports aren’t fair. 

Its all about results.

Arfield gives us a better chance to win than some of our current incumbent midfielders.

Aside from Davies, I don’t know that we have any other player who faces the level of competition that Arfield does. I get that Scotland basically has two teams, but the fact he’s playing deep into Europa and is on one of the biggest clubs that any canadian is on makes him far more prepared to face the types of players that Canada will face than any of our players.

This is, as of now, a three game tournament for Canada, so to bring a guy like Piette or Kone who probably won’t even play vs a guy who faces world class competition seems like a really bad decision. Even in terms of bringing him in just to help game plan- just looking at the teams he’s faced in europa league- Leipzig, Dortmund, Lyon and soon Frankfurt all have players who’ve been capped by Belgium or Croatia. That alone should secure his spot should he want it. 

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Aside from Davies, I don’t know that we have any other player who faces the level of competition that Arfield does. I get that Scotland basically has two teams, but the fact he’s playing deep into Europa and is on one of the biggest clubs that any canadian is on makes him far more prepared to face the types of players that Canada will face than any of our players.

This is, as of now, a three game tournament for Canada, so to bring a guy like Piette or Kone who probably won’t even play vs a guy who faces world class competition seems like a really bad decision. Even in terms of bringing him in just to help game plan- just looking at the teams he’s faced in europa league- Leipzig, Dortmund, Lyon and soon Frankfurt all have players who’ve been capped by Belgium or Croatia. That alone should secure his spot should he want it. 

David played Champions League this season 

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Okay but at his position we already have guys who have been here so why is it fair that they get dropped for Arfield? I mean within central midfield we have Hutchinson, Eustaquio, Piette, Kaye, Kone, etc. 

This becomes a very dangerous precedent to set.  This "being content" mentality isn't going to help our program move to the next level in the sport.  Also, the fact that you just listed Kone as a player you wouldn't drop for Arfield right now is mind blowing in itself.  We're not picking a team on potential "ceiling" of players.  Right now the talent and experience gap between Arfield and Kone is significant.

Of course, this is all a moot point as he is retired from Canada currently.

• 2 weeks later...