Scott Arfield

Nothing about this makes sense.  It's just too weird and the timing is even more strange. 

Herdman wouldn't dismiss or dis Arfield at a crucial moment in WC qualifying.  He's a top 3 midfielder at the moment and one of the most experienced at a high level.  Arfield wouldn't retire a year before the WC with a solid chance of playing in it is on the table.

It's gotta be an outside factor, family?  Did something happen at a previous camp?

I love the respect both showed in their messages.  Class act by both of them.  Just great to see.

Edited by costarg

58 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Having watched Eustaquio this cycle, I've come to see that the Premier League resume (Burnley really) doesn't come close to what we have now -even in his prime. 

Some would beg to differ. But to be fair there is a valid argument to be had.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

It's gotta be an outside factor, family?  

Dialog 1:

Wife: "If you got COVID by flying to the US, our marriage will come to an end."

Arfield:"No worries, I will forget about the World Cup."

Dialog 2:

Wife: "We have kids to raise, If you lost your contract extension beacuse of missing 3 league games,  our marriage will come to an end."

Just for fun and kidding. No offense. But I really can't imagine the reason of Arfield doing so.

2 hours ago, costarg said:

Nothing about this makes sense.  It's just too weird and the timing is even more strange. 

Herdman wouldn't dismiss or dis Arfield at a crucial moment in WC qualifying.  He's a top 3 midfielder at the moment and one of the most experienced at a high level.  Arfield wouldn't retire a year before the WC with a solid chance of playing in it is on the table.

It's gotta be an outside factor, family?  Did something happen at a previous camp?

I love the respect both showed in their messages.  Class act by both of them.  Just great to see.

As has been mentioned, this is it for Scotty.  He's run his race.  International performances will matter not to his valuation at this point in his career, that's a cold, hard, fact.  He has one real payday left in him and he must be aware of that. 

I'm sure he'll empty his glass following and supporting Canada on it's drive to the Finals.  Sure of it.   

2 hours ago, costarg said:

Nothing about this makes sense.

Really?

Right before an international window about which he is getting questions, a 33 year-old player who is in the "B" level of our depth chart (at best) decides it's time to quit international soccer, and focus on the clubs that pays his wages, and it doesn't make sense?!?

You may not like it, and perhaps it is even the wrong decision, but there is nothing mysterious or unfathomable about it. 😅

9 hours ago, Cheeta said:

As has been mentioned, this is it for Scotty.  He's run his race.  International performances will matter not to his valuation at this point in his career, that's a cold, hard, fact.  He has one real payday left in him and he must be aware of that. 

I'm sure he'll empty his glass following and supporting Canada on it's drive to the Finals.  Sure of it.   

You really think a player at his level is still just kicking the ball for money?  He's already richer than most folks.  A player at that level doesn't do it for the money.  We're talking about the World f'in Cup.  I don't buy it.  

This guy is one of the old style hard working midfielders, he leaves it all on the field every time he steps on it.  We're not talking about about one of the fancy haired prima donnas. 

8 hours ago, gator said:

That is a good chart, he would be at worst #3 in my CM chart but he's not involved anymore so next man up!

That is an unreal chart, that seems to list players anywhere for the sake of it. The accuracy is at CB & GK. Because for our rotating formation and versatile players it’s best to list/rank players in 3-4 positions.

Knowing that based on the year 2022 (not 2019) my CM ranking would be:

Stack
Atiba
Osorio
Kaye
Arfield
Wotherspoon
Piette
Fraser
Paton

9 hours ago, ted said:

Really?

Right before an international window about which he is getting questions, a 33 year-old player who is in the "B" level of our depth chart (at best) decides it's time to quit international soccer, and focus on the clubs that pays his wages, and it doesn't make sense?!?

You may not like it, and perhaps it is even the wrong decision, but there is nothing mysterious or unfathomable about it. 😅

Your point is a matter of perception.  To me he's still somewhere between #2-4 on the depth chart.  I still rate him higher than Osorio and Kaye and he's a different player than Mustachio.  

Like I just said on the other post, someone does not just give up a chance to play in the World Cup one year before it materializes.  Probably also the reason Hutch is still playing instead of taking an office job with Besiktas.

10 hours ago, lamptern said:

Dialog 1:

Wife: "If you got COVID by flying to the US, our marriage will come to an end."

Dialog 2:

Wife: "We have kids to raise, If you lost your contract extension beacuse of missing 3 league games,  our marriage will come to an end."

Just for fun and kidding. No offense. But I really can't imagine the reason of Arfield doing so.

An example could be Evan Bush.  During an interview after a huge bad game and loss, he mentioned having to get up several times throughout the previous night for his kids.  Not sure what kind of arrangement most pro athletes have with their wives, but pretty sure trainers are encouraging them to max their sleep and make sure its uninterrupted.  Perhaps Scott's wife needs a little more help and isn't supportive of international overnight travel as opposed to the European leagues style quick in/out trips?

The way this whole thing played out from the beginning I always suspected an issue at home.  Either he had an ill parent and wanted to be around or his wife was having a hard time with the three kids, perhaps they have a special needs child and it just makes it very difficult or her own mental health.

All the best to Scotty and I'm glad this whole "will he, won't he" debacle is over.  There have clearly been conversations held in recent weeks between Arfield and Herdman and this was the conclusion that was best for Arfield, Herdman or both.

To me, it is a tough pill to swallow given we need his services this window more than ever but we have come this far without him, so hopefully we'll be alright.

To me, there is very little difference between having him placed 2nd to 5th on our depth chart.  After that, I think there is a bit of a drop off.  To me the most painful part of losing Arfield is that he is a center midfielder that offers something much different than any other central midfielder we currently have.  But like I said, we have come this far without him, so does not make too much of a difference.

Edited by Corazon

14 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

He gave it his all while on the pitch with Canada, and as said before, he did it before it was cool. Regardless of the way things ended, thank you for the service to our national team Scotty. 

100% agree on the above. I was a big fan of Scotty when he played for us. As to the various speculative reasons offered in many posts regarding his retirement, keep in mind that many of our current squad players have young children and are located in Europe. I am sure they have wives that are not thrilled with them making transcontinental trips.  Players like Atiba, Vitoria, Borjan are also in their 30s. I don't think any of their clubs are telling them not to play for the CMNT or else. I'm sure they have been players that have shown up for the CMNT in their last year of their contract. In the end perhaps the ties to Canada for Scotty were not strong enough to sway him in his decision (assuming it was his decision) as it may have been for players like Osorio, Kaye, Piette or Phonzie etc. I think the fact that Scotty has not played for us since Nov 2019 says it all. Thanks for your great service Scotty. You did make a difference

3 hours ago, Shway said:

That is an unreal chart, that seems to list players anywhere for the sake of it. The accuracy is at CB & GK. Because for our rotating formation and versatile players it’s best to list/rank players in 3-4 positions.

Knowing that based on the year 2022 (not 2019) my CM ranking would be:

Stack
Atiba
Osorio
Kaye
Arfield
Wotherspoon
Piette
Fraser
Paton

That's my ranking also!

No disrespect to Kaye or Osorio, I think they are both good players, does anyone think Rangers or a high Championship team would bring them into their teams? I know there are rumours Osorio was interested in a move to Europe, he is on a good contract with TFC so who knows, it will be interesting to see how Laryea makes out at Forest!