Scott Arfield

7 minutes ago, Califax said:

We’re missing a lot of guys, we’re now missing our best player, we’re probably going to miss more because of omicron and travel, and we’re going to two pretty crappy places to play.

As much as we looked outstanding in Mexico, we look like a bag of smashed assholes in Jamaica

And on top of all that we might not have Home fans for our game against the other top team in the region

There is no decent  player that I wouldn’t want to have available right now

This is why the narrative of "Herdman didn't call him, so that's why he announced his retirement" doesn't hold water for me.  There's no way John would've looked past him for this window.  I'm glad he said something so that there isn't a bunch of speculation when the squad is announced this week.

While it would've been nice to have him for this one, I think we'll be okay. 

5 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Look, I Iiked Arfield especially since he said yes to us when many hemmed and hawed about playing for the NT. But he didn't show up all of 2021. He may have had a good reason or maybe Hoillet's cap tweet reveals something we done want to face. Arfield made excuses for not showing up all of 2021 and Hoillet called him out. 

Arfield plays in the midfield. Last I saw we're not missing any players in the midfield. Davies and Hoillet play on the wings. Sure, I would like to have Arfield on the team instead of Fraser but Liam is 7 or 6 on the depth chart and Scott is 5th after Eustaquio, Kaye, Hutch and Oso. We'll be fine. It's not like we had him there all of 2021 and now we have to fill his shoes

You make a lot of great points.  My concern here is with this current variant spreading like crazy.  I realize I’m playing the what if game, but it’s a very serious concern if a handful of guys get it.  

27 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Look, I Iiked Arfield especially since he said yes to us when many hemmed and hawed about playing for the NT. But he didn't show up all of 2021. He may have had a good reason or maybe Hoillet's cap tweet reveals something we done want to face. Arfield made excuses for not showing up all of 2021 and Hoillet called him out. 

Arfield plays in the midfield. Last I saw we're not missing any players in the midfield. Davies and Hoillet play on the wings. Sure, I would like to have Arfield on the team instead of Fraser but Liam is 7 or 6 on the depth chart and Scott is 5th after Eustaquio, Kaye, Hutch and Oso. We'll be fine. It's not like we had him there all of 2021 and now we have to fill his shoes

This does make his not coming to the GC because of a slight knock much more suspect.

2 hours ago, Matro25 said:

This might mean Paton or Mitrovic gets the call now. Or both.

At the minute, I'm more than happy with this. However, if we lose one or more of MAK, 'Stache, Osorio, or Hutch before next week, I might start to twitch a little, though.

Thanks for your service, Scottie, but we move on now without you.

Very disappointed. I can't blame any side between Herdman or Arfield before I hear some detailed story.

1. Thank you Arfield for all the service before and ended my speculation in the loom of this crucial window.

2. It's time to move on to essemble our midfield with pieces we have.

3. Since Wootherspoon is hurt, I will stop following SPL and close that tab window on my tablet for now. No more Rangers game interested.

4. I am interested to see how the mods to deal with this post eventually.  Move to international or lock it up?

11 minutes ago, lamptern said:

Very disappointed. I can't blame any side between Herdman or Arfield before I hear some detailed story.

1. Thank you Arfield for all the service before and ended my speculation in the loom of this crucial window.

2. It's time to move on to essemble our midfield with pieces we have.

3. Since Wootherspoon is hurt, I will stop following SPL and close that tab window on my tablet for now. No more Rangers game interested.

4. I am interested to see how the mods to deal with this post eventually.  Move to international or lock it up?

Retired CMNT players stay in the CMNT sub-forum. Only players who represent another country get booted to the International sub-forum. No need to lock the thread, even if he's retired from international competition. He's still a part of our history and should be afforded the respect that his past efforts deserve.

I think this is more about the club situation.  This January window was added by FIFA due to the covid backlog but UEFA is not observing it for internationals and many European leagues are not breaking for it.  Arfield would miss three SPL matches including the Old Firm game on Feb 2.  For a player like Arfield, he's in the last 5 months of his contract at 33 years of age.  

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

Yeah it's hard to speculate/blame anyone when we don't know the full details. It's crazy for a player to turn down a chance to play in a world cup so it could have been club pressure, Herdman, or players not wanting him there for whatever reason.

I'm personally disappointed to see him retire, I kind of expected it tbh but he was a solid player and I always liked him, no matter what you can't say he didn't give a shit when he was on the field. I think he would still be ahead of our MLS midfielders and would have especially been helpful for this upcoming window. That being said we obviously have been doing fine without him, the guys we have can get the job done again.

Thanks for the four years Scottie.

1 minute ago, Bdog said:

Yeah it's hard to speculate/blame anyone when we don't know the full details. It's crazy for a player to turn down a chance to play in a world cup so it could have been club pressure, Herdman, or players not wanting him there for whatever reason.

I'm personally disappointed to see him retire, I kind of expected it tbh but he was a solid player and I always liked him, no matter what you can't say he didn't give a shit when he was on the field. I think he would still be ahead of our MLS midfielders and would have especially been helpful for this upcoming window. That being said we obviously have been doing fine without him, the guys we have can get the job done again.

Thanks for the four years Scottie.

I'd have ranked him as the second best midfielder right now. It's up to each person, but Arfield and Eustaquio would have been dynamite together. 

Edited by Hawkguy

I was puzzled that he was retiring when the team looked ready to go to the World Cup, but maybe it makes sense if he is torn about committing while his club career is on the line.  The CMNT being in great shape without him allows him to retire without feeling guilty about it.  I think it could be a great relief to him.

7 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I was puzzled that he was retiring when the team looked ready to go to the World Cup, but maybe it makes sense if he is torn about committing while his club career is on the line.  The CMNT being in great shape without him allows him to retire without feeling guilty about it.  I think it could be a great relief to him.

It's not that simple.  The SPL is not breaking and he's in the last 5 months of his contract at 33 years of age.  He would have to miss three of these games including the Old Firm.

image.png.124846a9651577e05e23a1018aa5dcaa.png

Arfield service is not needed (at least as reinforcement) in the coming WCQ window so Herdman didn't ask him to come? I dought it.

Missing  3 league games and his club career will be on the line? I dought it.

Weighing more of one year of club contrct extension  than a chance of being included in a squad heading WC first time of career at age of  33? I dought it.

Too many questions to be answered. 

However, all these questions will be irrelevant when we cross the finish line of qualifying.

Focus to the task at hand at the moment.  We CAN make it.

Edited by lamptern

25 minutes ago, lamptern said:

Arfield service is not needed (at least as reinforcement) in the coming WCQ window so Herdman didn't ask him to come? I dought it.

Missing  3 league games and his club career will be on the line? I dought it.

Weighing more of one year of club contrct extension  than a chance of being included in a squad heading WC first time of career at age of  33? I dought it.

Did Epstein kill himself?  😉