Scott Arfield

The question is whether players  on the national team are willing to forgive him. I'm guessing so. We've seen how those players who've played for other countries are mentioned by current/former members of the national team. If he's commited now and shows it during training, I think that it will just be water under a bridge. 

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

The question is whether players  on the national team are willing to forgive him. I'm guessing so. We've seen how those players who've played for other countries are mentioned by current/former members of the national team. If he's commited now and shows it during training, I think that it will just be water under a bridge. 

That hits it right on the head.  If it doesn't bother the other players then so be it.  I think we take these things more to heart than they do.  And the best restitution or atonement he can make is by knocking in a header against Mexico in mexico city putting us into the HEX!!!  

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, toontownman said:

Here's hoping. Does he have to do that to play for us or come to a camp? (sorry ignoramus here) Can't see him being released by Burnley for this camp with him on form and them aiming for promotion. Would certainly be awesome to see him vs the States though.

Agree it would be Awesome, but no chance he gets released for a friendly on a Non FIFA date. I'm still really nervous Scotland will call before we get a chance to cap him.

I wonder if he is just fed up with Scotland FA? They didn't call him for euro qualifying and didn't make it and haven't shown anything in terms of quality to get to the world cup. 

Meanwhile he has been chased by a country who wants him and has shown steady improvement and have some young quality pieces being added to the team. 

In Scotland he likely has a WCQ and a euro campaign but canada he would have probably 2 WCQ chances and multiple gold cups. Anyway I just hope the 1 time switch has been filed already and this is all moot. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched my first full Burnley match. 

Scott Arfield had a very impressive performance (man of the match!) in leading them to a 4-1 victory over Derby.

He was all over the place!  Displaying a a well-rounded skill set: passing, shooting, dribbling, tackling!

I came away very impressed and will be keeping my fingers crossed that he does suit up for us soon!

38 minutes ago, DerHoota said:

Not sure if they credited the fourth goal of the game to him or not? It was clearly heading in the direction of the net, but it took a massive deflection before it went it. Regardless, he's playing really good right now. Almost......too good.

He's been credited for it.

I heard the announcer say he has scored 6 or 5 in the last 8 games.

His style of play seems more suited for the middle of the field (and by the way he's all over the field), but I'll take him on our right side.

Can't wait to see him in CAN RED.

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

I wouldn't hold our breath on him.. Scotland has friendlies against Denmark and Czech Republic in March.  I'd be shocked if they don't give him a call in the form he's in combined with the fact that they'll be looking to start a fresh cycle AND they of course know that we're sniffing around.  

Probably more realistic that he gets called to Scotland in March and maybe we'll see him next September if he isn't called back to Scotland.

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I wouldn't hold our breath on him.. Scotland has friendlies against Denmark and Czech Republic in March.  I'd be shocked if they don't give him a call in the form he's in combined with the fact that they'll be looking to start a fresh cycle AND they of course know that we're sniffing around.  

Probably more realistic that he gets called to Scotland in March and maybe we'll see him next September if he isn't called back to Scotland.

some ppl have been speculating hes done with scotland and has made up his mind after them ignoring him for so long. 

Some canadian reporters have said he will be in vancouver based on their sources. 

23 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Like I said in the Canadians abroad thread, a player wouldn't follow a team on twitter unless he was fully committed. I am 100% sure he will be on the squad (hopefully starting over Ricketts) in March.

Just now, canta15 said:

Like I said in the Canadians abroad thread, a player wouldn't follow a team on twitter unless he was fully committed. I am 100% sure he will be on the squad (hopefully starting over Ricketts) in March.

I hope you are correct.

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

I think it takes a lot more than following Canada Soccer on Twitter to show commitment. He could have just been observing in advance of making the decision. I'd agree that it's a good sign though, just not definitive. 

Reports out of Vancouver have been pretty definitive though. Hopefully they're correct.

49 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I wouldn't hold our breath on him.. Scotland has friendlies against Denmark and Czech Republic in March.

I was thinking the same thing. I posted on http://tartanarmyboard.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=3775&page=6

because they had a thread on him and it hadn't been updated since March 25th (10 months ago). I bumped it in early January. The response from the Scotland fans seems to be mostly unenthusiastic with a few exceptions. They don't rate him that highly! :huh:

21 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I was thinking the same thing. I posted on http://tartanarmyboard.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=3775&page=6

because they had a thread on him and it hadn't been updated since March 25th (10 months ago). I bumped it in early January. The response from the Scotland fans seems to be mostly unenthusiastic with a few exceptions. They don't rate him that highly! :huh:

Holy crap. 90% of those posters are talking like hes absolute garbage and dont even want to give him a look in scotland

Never knew scotland was such a world power..... I dont even think they're that much better than us 

46 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

I think it takes a lot more than following Canada Soccer on Twitter to show commitment. He could have just been observing in advance of making the decision. I'd agree that it's a good sign though, just not definitive. 

Reports out of Vancouver have been pretty definitive though. Hopefully they're correct.

I think those trying to bring him to Canada will give him all of the information first hand as he would be one of the best players on the team if he joined,so there would be no need to follow a twitter account. Then again I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

A guy wouldn't wear a Canadian soccer jacket to a WCQ unless he was committed either, right? lol