Scott Arfield

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

I want to see this. My big question is herdman gonna put hutch at CB. God I hope not but herdman sometimes do weird things. 

There is no reason to believe he would unless Vitoria is hurt.  That is why Hutch played CB in the last window. 

Obinna mentiones that Belgium will be 7 months older by Nov and thats good for us.  Thats also worries me, that Vitoria and Hutch are going to be 7 months older.  Is Vitoria recovered and back playing yet?  And to El Hombre's point, I wouldnt put a returning Arfield into the starting lineup at all, but neither would I put Piette, Adegukbe, Kennedy or Henry, but I think we'll need all of them over the 3 games.  

And just to make it clear, I dont think Arfield will be there, but I think its 100% personal between him and Herdman.  And I find it funny that plenty of people were saying that we shouldnt be using roster spots on kids, its too damn important etc, no screwing around, no one not i the bortherhood.  But now that we have a spot at the big dance, the entire world watching....now you want to bring a kid???  This isnt a victory lap...Herdman doesnt see it as that, neither do the players.  You dont get picked as a reward for previous accomplishments or future acclaim.  I didnt think we would get this far, but jobs not done as long as we can keep going eh?    Isnt that the attitude that has helped us get here?  

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

The issue I have with this is you need backup for every position.  Therefore you kinda need to swap like for like when putting together your 23-man squad.  In my list, I didn't even have room for Fraser.  But if I did, it would be in place of Piette and either of those two would be backup for Eustaquio.  

When putting together a 23-man squad, I thought there would be more locks than there were.  I have one spot open which could go to Arfield but it would really depend on who is in form September through November.

I haven't ran through a 23-man squad myself (we still may get 26), but assuming that's the limit we could carry Eustaquio, Hutchinson, Osorio, Kaye, Piette and Arfield, no? That's 6 midfielders, which leaves room for our 7 forwards, 7 defenders and 3 keepers. Piette backs up Eustaquio while the other four midfielders are box-to-box.

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Obinna mentiones that Belgium will be 7 months older by Nov and thats good for us.  Thats also worries me, that Vitoria and Hutch are going to be 7 months older.  Is Vitoria recovered and back playing yet?  And to El Hombre's point, I wouldnt put a returning Arfield into the starting lineup at all, but neither would I put Piette, Adegukbe, Kennedy or Henry, but I think we'll need all of them over the 3 games.  

This is true about Vitoria and Hutchinson. Vitoria concerns me more because we don't really have a solid alternative to him. 

On the whole though the team overall is very young, so we benefit from the extra 7 months relative to Croatia and Belgium, I believe.

I think @El Hombre has got it pretty spot on with his positioning.  The closest like for like with Arfield is Osorio.  Hard to replace him with his current form for club and country.  

I am not advocating for his return although I think he would be a valuable addition to our program still.  We did it without him, therefore I am comfortable going to Qatar without him.  Again, we have become a strong enough program without him or the likes of other dual nationals such as Flores.  Although I find it humorous the when people claim to not care about Flores but use profanity and anger in their posts on a Flores forum.  We'll be fine with or without Arfield or potential dual nationals (Tomori loss does hurt as I cannot see a defensive prospect coming close to his level in our pipeline).

The one question I would ask about Arfield is "do you believe that a healthy Arfield coming off the bench vs Costa Rica & Panama in our last group of games improve our chances in either of those games"  The only true answer is yes.  Arfield absolutely would have had an impact in those games where we don't have a lot of attacking presence in the center of the park (aside from Osorio and an out of position Hoilett).  We do not create a lot of chances through the middle of the pitch, which Arfield is good at.  We become less one dimensional with his presence (as we generally only attack out wide).

NOW whether you just don't like him for his lack of presence in our program the past 3 years is another thing altogether.  But he absolutely would be a value to this program.  Aside from CB's, an attacking presence in our midfield is what we lack the most.

FWIW, a lot of people are down on Kaye, but Eustaquio has stated how much he loves playing alongside him which should mean a lot.  Herdman has shown to change formations mid game and Kaye, Hutchinson and Eustaquio are the only midfielders that can play in a two man midfield for us.  MAK also does a lot of the intangibles in games.  I've run the numbers for MLS Canadians and Kaye leads all Canadians so far this season in MLS in both Interceptions and Tackles.  He can also score and create as well.

Edited by Corazon

3 hours ago, Califax said:

I'm spot on with @SpecialK. I won't say it again just to say it. 

I honestly think we keep coming back to Arfield is because - to use that girlfriend analogy - we just aren't satisfied at home.  I don't want to take a new date to my cousin's wedding . I'd rather take my on again off again girlfriend even if she hasn't been around a whole lot. My family knows her, my friends know her. She shows up, looks good. Sure she fights with my sister but my mom thinks she's great.

You're analogy needs a lot of tweaking. It's very loose from the scenario....so here you go:

"We just aren't satisfied at home.  I don't want to take a new date go alone to my cousin's wedding. I'd rather beg my ex from 3 years ago to come with me take my on again off again girlfriend even if she hasn't been around a whole lot for years. But my family knows her, my friends know her. She shows up, looks good but nobody likes her. Sure she fights with my sister and my mom thinks she's great  hates her because she knows what she put me through.

The night is horrible, this will truly be the last time we see each other , and my dignity and respect amongst my family is gone- but hey at least we got one last great picture together."

I got too much respect for myself for THAT guy to be me...but I understand if thats a guy you can relate too. 😉

Edited by Shway

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Who says Arfield cant get along with the squad and no one likes her??  You might just be projecting or you've drank a little too much of the cool-aid there Shway.  

You guys wait for the flaw in the midst of the other facts and then run with it. 

But I get it, ride for your man lol. 

3 hours ago, Shway said:

You guys wait for the flaw in the midst of the other facts and then run with it. 

But I get it, ride for your man lol. 

All this is conjecture.   The facts people see are their own narrative.  We don't have the full picture.  The player has retired.  Why are people still discussing this.  His thread is one of a former player and there's nothing wrong with following or acknowledging his club efforts for those who like the player.  I like Arfield.  If he comes out of retirement and is called up for nations league or a friendly then you guys can pick up this drivel.  It's highly unlikely Arfield comes out of retirement.

Edited by prairiecanuck

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Rangers making it to the Europa Cup final (with Scott Arfield playing most of the second half) shows there's a bit more quality at the top end of the SPFL than some people realize.

I don’t think anyone doubted the quality at the top two. It’s the drastic quality drop between them….

image.thumb.png.eadeb0cf69986880b97c9712d978b29a.png

The fact that 3rd is 19 points back, and the negative GDs start from 4th place is my realization. 

Congrats to Scott making the final. I hope he goes on and wins it!

Ranger's "European Nights" have been boss this campaign. 

We're into the split/Phase 2 so domestically it's tough sledding for all concerned.  Ross County (for which I have some love) make themselves a right royal pain in the arse for all they play, but yeah.  It's still Ross County, no disrespect.  Dingwall is a lovely place. 

5 hours ago, Shway said:

I don’t think anyone doubted the quality at the top two. It’s the drastic quality drop between them….

image.thumb.png.eadeb0cf69986880b97c9712d978b29a.png

The fact that 3rd is 19 points back, and the negative GDs start from 4th place is my realization. 

Congrats to Scott making the final. I hope he goes on and wins it!

Not to get overly philosophical but you can say that of most leagues in Europe.  

1 hour ago, narduch said:

3rd is 16 back in EPL 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Not to get overly philosophical but you can say that of most leagues in Europe.  

Main thing that was said was “shows there's a bit more quality at the top end of the SPFL than some people realize.”

Quality was the main point. Celtic & Rangers would easily be 10-15 in the EPL table. 

So yes we do see that in European leagues, but top to bottom, the SPFL has probably the most drastic change in quality. 

7 hours ago, Shway said:

Main thing that was said was “shows there's a bit more quality at the top end of the SPFL than some people realize.”

Quality was the main point. Celtic & Rangers would easily be 10-15 in the EPL table. 

So yes we do see that in European leagues, but top to bottom, the SPFL has probably the most drastic change in quality. 

We will have to agree to disagree on that.  The gap between Liverpool and Watford or Real Madrid and Alaves, for example, is no worse/better than the Old Firm and Dundee.  

In England there's a big step down in quality on going from Man City and Liverpool type clubs to the likes of Brentford and Burnley and then another big step down to the Championship where the TV money is nothing like as lucrative.

The top handful of clubs in the big 5 leagues are out in the stratosphere but that doesn't mean clubs 10 to 40 in these countries are necessarily anything hugely special compared to clubs like Rangers or Feyenoord from last night or even what's happening closer to home in MLS after close to 30 years now of building a fully pro level soccer culture. 

8 hours ago, SpecialK said:

CSA and Herdmam has to get Arfield on the phone and fly to Scotland have real sit down and talk out the shit and get him in camp. It’s absolutely idiotic that this Arfield BS has happen and he retired just before the World Cup. 

This is what I don't understand: the above post assumes that Arfield wants to play for Canada again.  If that was the case, why did he retire?  Some sort of power play?  To what end?  If he wanted to be part of the team, he could've just as easily just sat there and said something along the lines of "Yeah, I'm available.  All I can do is hope the gaffer picks me for the team."  Instead, he retired from the team.

Unless of course the idea is to try to convince him to un-retire and re-join the team.  If that's the case, then I would've hoped that we were past the point of having to beg players to come play for us.

Personally I believe he retired because 5 reasons

1- problems with herdman style - the fight story 

2- the disrespect from Hoilett

3- young family.

4- contract unknowns 

5- he was pissed off about playing in Caribbean vs shopkeepers and he got hurt. 

the big question was Herdman did say he was going to Gold Cup and got hurt. 

i don’t understand why it’s such a big deal to have a meeting with a player, hash it out and say we want you in camp. You in ? It doesn’t make the program look bad. He’s playing top football and we could use him. I want to win and the team is better with Arfield in the lineup.