Scott Arfield

Just now, narduch said:

Of course.

But those claiming he did something irreparably bad are just reading between the lines and making their own conclusions.

They have no real facts to base their claims on.

Who is claiming he did anything bad? Refusing call ups isn't doing something bad. Hutch refused a few call ups and no one accused him of doing anything bad. 

The way I see it Arfield was a point in his life where he had to make some decisions. What those decisions were we can only speculate. But he did announce that he retired from international play. That should be a big hint at what his decisions were.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Of course.

But those claiming he did something irreparably bad are just reading between the lines and making their own conclusions.

I for one never said this.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

They have no real facts to base their claims on.

What we do know is the "🧢" from a senior player. 
We do know that there is definitely disconnect from the squad, we do know that he hasn't appeared in 3 years while playing for Rangers. We do know he said he wanted to focus on his club future vs his national one. We do know he  announced his retirement during the time we needed him most.

Those are all facts....no? Why do yall negate those?

1 minute ago, Shway said:

I for one never said this.

What we do know is the "🧢" from a senior player. 
We do know that there is definitely disconnect from the squad, we do know that he hasn't appeared in 3 years while playing for Rangers. We do know he said he wanted to focus on his club future vs his national one. We do know he  announced his retirement during the time we needed him most.

Those are all facts....no? Why do yall negate those?

Still feel like that is nothing that can't be worked around.

Especially if Herdman is the great man manager people like to claim he is.

Without emotion, here are three thoughts:

1) He retired from international football.  Therefore the onus is on him to want to come back.  It is not up to Herdman to beg and plead for him to come back.

2) Roster sizes are still in flux, therefore in order to bring him back you may have to leave a major player off.  Someone mentioned guys like Hoillett, Osorio, Kaye and such, so who are you leaving off?  This is leaving aside actual game time that he would be taking from players.  And Kone is not an answer to this, because he was only involved in the last window.  You want someone like Arfield to come in and make a difference, he will need to take the spot of one of the other major players over the last year.

3) This isn't fantasy football.  You can't just plug and play players in and expect them to perform exactly as they do at club level.  There are a ton of people clamouring here for friendlies?  Why is that?  I always thought that it was to get the team to get used to each other?  But then Arfield can walk in and play a major role?  Those two things don't go together.  He may be good, but he is not good enough to adapt immediately to a system and players that he hasn't had exposure to in three years.  Someone said Nations League, and that is spot on.  He needs to play in as many games as possible between now and November if he wants time on the pitch in the World Cup.

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

Still feel like that is nothing that can't be worked around.

Especially if Herdman is the great man manager people like to claim he is.

If that was the case, then he wouldn't have retired. And just kept it open and everyone could've logically speculated.
Retiring at the time he did, was a massive statement.

Herdman is great man manager, what is also known as a people pleaser. The way the boys talk about him is like they will run through a wall for him. They trust and believe in him. Do you think he would jeopardize that trust for one guy who basically felt he was above the squad at a point? He's specifically made mention of guys playing in Bundesliga, and Ligue 1 showing up to play in Suriname and Haiti....I honestly think some of you aren't listening to his interviews and what he says and what the players say. 

He's not going to jeopardize that for someone everyone knows isn't a game changer or isn't a long term piece. 

I'm done in this thread. Everyone can cheer now.

Edited by Shway

There was talk on one soccer about players fighting at practice and Something a captain ( assuming is was Arfield) said that’s normal and the soccer way. So I have a feeling Arfield is not one of those into new let’s baby players new school style coaching. 

plus that shit hoilett did was in my view just plain bullshit and childish. You got problems with something or someone you keep in house and not on social media. If he did that about a Club player on his team, he would have been fined for sure. Hoilett is not a young man either like he should know better. 

8 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

2) Roster sizes are still in flux, therefore in order to bring him back you may have to leave a major player off.  Someone mentioned guys like Hoillett, Osorio, Kaye and such, so who are you leaving off?  This is leaving aside actual game time that he would be taking from players.  And Kone is not an answer to this, because he was only involved in the last window.  You want someone like Arfield to come in and make a difference, he will need to take the spot of one of the other major players over the last year.

Arfield over Kaye any day of the week. Kaye has proven time and time again, he can’t play at a high level in big games. Stupid fouls, stupid decisions. He will kill the team. Very similar to Henry but the difference is . Kaye can be replaced with similar talent, Henry not so much. 

Just now, SpecialK said:

plus that shit hoilett did was in my view just plain bullshit and childish. You got problems with something or someone you keep in house and not on social media. If he did that about a Club player on his team, he would have been fined for sure. Hoilett is not a young man either like he should know better. 

Yeah Hoilett has been good for us but he’s always been a bit of a c*nt.

People ragging on Arfield for turning down a call up, whereas Hoilett literally turned us down for a good chunk of his 20s while he decided what was best for him. 

3 minutes ago, Califax said:

People ragging on Arfield for turning down a call up, whereas Hoilett literally turned us down for a good chunk of his 20s while he decided what was best for him. 

Cavallini left the program for years, when we needed Strikers  !!!!! And we welcomed him back with open arms, no problem all is good. So people stop being hypocrites. We need our best players. It’s the World Cup people ! 

3 minutes ago, Califax said:

Yeah Hoilett has been good for us but he’s always been a bit of a c*nt.

This is the exact disrespect and ungratefulness I talk about...Have you called Arfield a cunt, a twat, a bitch for not showing up?

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

Cavallini left the program for years, when we needed Strikers  !!!!! And we welcomed him back with open arms, no problem all is good. So people stop being hypocrites. We need our best players. It’s the World Cup people ! 

It’s one of many double standards about this Arfield thing that leaves me uneasy. 

39 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

The big difference for me is that we qualified for a World Cup without Arfield and topped the group without Arfield . That’s something that hardly anyone would have thought Canada could do. We welcomed these players back because we needed too we were basically desperate and still using unattached FCers . We had never qualified for even the Hex in how long so ya we were desperate . However, like I said we qualified for the final round finally and then when onto top the group in a rather dominating way and qualify finally for the World Cup . All done without Arfield , we accomplished nothing without those guys we welcomed back , but we accomplished a lot without Arfield .

Edited by SoccMan

9 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

The big difference for me is that we qualified for a World Cup without Arfield and topped the group without Arfield . That’s something that hardly anyone would have thought Canada could do. We welcomed these players back because we needed too we were basically desperate and still using unattached FCers . We had never qualified for even the Hex in how long so ya we were desperate . However, like I said we qualified for the final round finally and then when onto top the group in a rather dominating way and qualify finally for the World Cup . All done without Arfield , we accomplished nothing without those guys we welcomed back , but we accomplished a lot without Arfield .

I can see where your coming from. The question is where do you value Concacaf vs World Cup opponents. Look what Canada did was amazing, Great achievement. But when you look at it without blinders concacaf is a joke. The US has talent but the manager is an idiot, Mexico is not the same Mexico( something is wrong there), Costa Rica is old, Honduras and Panama are not even close to the same powerhouse teams like before, Jamaica is a Circus. El Salvador is young. I’m not taking away what Canada is done but it was the perfect timing for everything to come together for us. 

If we don’t play this World Cup right, it’s gonna get ugly quick. Plus if Morocco gets its players. That game won’t be easy at all. Our group is such a wildcard

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Arfield over Kaye any day of the week. Kaye has proven time and time again, he can’t play at a high level in big games. Stupid fouls, stupid decisions. He will kill the team. Very similar to Henry but the difference is . Kaye can be replaced with similar talent, Henry not so much. 

Okay, lets work through this a bit then: you bring Arfield and you leave Kaye at home.  Kaye's role in the squad is physically demanding in that he has to be all over the pitch and he plays a lot of minutes.  He's not the creator that Osorio is and he's not the holding mid like Eustaquio, but a bit of both and has to get stuck in.  Can Arfield do that consistently 70 minutes a game against teams like Belgium, Croatia and Morocco?  Does he bring the defensive game that might be necessary against these teams?

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

I may be in the minority with you on this but I tend to agree, I have never been sold on Kaye as a starter on this team and really consider him a squad player because of the deficiencies you point out! The foolish red card in Costa Rica which probably cost us a result really disappointed me and Herdman's great man management was to throw him right in to the starting lineup first chance and he was poor again, no player is going to come out and say it but I bet there were a few who sat on the bench less than impressed they didn't get a chance to play and Kaye did!

Just caught up reading this from the last day or so. It’s going to be a long 7 months to Qatar..

As for Arfield himself, the part that disappoints me is that I would love to have seen him play with this core group of players as they matured throughout WCQ. Obviously nobody here is denying his ability. Would have been nice to see. If this was 3 years ago, his absence would have been a big blow to the squad, but it’s not anymore. I’d still love to see him back in the mix. Never say never I guess.

I am not convinced about our midfield depth, so if Arfield is open to returning I personally wouldn't mind. On the other hand, if Herdman draws a line in the sand and refuses to select a player who never contributed at all to the qualifying campaign, I would understand that too. He did help build the program up to the point where we could go on that magnificent qualifying run, so while he technically never played a single qualifying game this cycle, he was still a key part of the program and I won't overlook that. 

Now, when it comes to Kaye I agree he tends to run hot and cold. He's capable of great moments and capable of blunders (like the red against CR). I do acknowledge the ground he covers and his role as a defensive shield for the team, but couldn't we carry both Kaye and Arfield? I don't see why it needs to be one or the other.

The conversation should probably be about dropping Fraser for Arfield, not Kaye. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am not convinced about our midfield depth, so if Arfield is open to returning I personally wouldn't mind. On the other hand, if Herdman draws a line in the sand and refuses to select a player who never contributed at all to the qualifying campaign, I would understand that too. He did help build the program up to the point where we could go on that magnificent qualifying run, so while he technically never played a single qualifying game this cycle, he was still a key part of the program and I won't overlook that. 

Now, when it comes to Kaye I agree he tends to run hot and cold. He's capable of great moments and capable of blunders (like the red against CR). I do acknowledge the ground he covers and his role as a defensive shield for the team, but couldn't we carry both Kaye and Arfield? I don't see why it needs to be one or the other.

The conversation should probably be about dropping Fraser for Arfield, not Kaye. 

We're about to face De Bruyne & Modric with Morocco as a must win - midfield depth is a problem for us

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

If Scott had bought a crystal ball (like me 😁) you think he would of retired from international football when he did?

No no Mario. You're of Italian descent. We have stregas. They use crystal balls. Arfield is Scottish - probably has Druids in his background. They used runes.  It's obvious that crystal balls are far superior.

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

No no Mario. You're of Italian descent. We have stregas. They use crystal balls. Arfield is Scottish - probably has Druids in his background. They used runes.  It's obvious that crystal balls are far superior.

So its pretty obvious Hoilett gave Arfield malocchio

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

So its pretty obvious Hoilett gave Arfield malocchio

If that's the case then all Arfield had to do was go see an Italian widow dressed in black and she would have cured it - by muttering some gibberish while dropping oil into a pan of water.

But I doubt Hoilett would do that. He's of Jamaican descent. He doesn't know a thing about malocchio. Maybe he sang some reggae to him.

Edited by Sal333